Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:21 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Thanks Dolly,
Stupid thoughtless me ........... I should have read the whole thread first.
I noticed the cost was rather excesive ! Virgin charged $1200 for 4 of us.

Sorry Lara
So sorry to hear your news Lara. My mum died 24 hours after having hip replacement, which she waited 2 years to get. Instead of getting the call of the operation went well, I got the other kind of call. It's heartbreaking.

PS: Patrick, she said she flew from Altanta, which is more expensive than NYC. Further distance. Also, Virgin only fly from Orlando and Miami in the south. Don't have so many options as NYC in an emergency.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Originally Posted by Mallory
So sorry to hear your news Lara. My mum died 24 hours after having hip replacement, which she waited 2 years to get. Instead of getting the call of the operation went well, I got the other kind of call. It's heartbreaking.

PS: Patrick, she said she flew from Altanta, which is more expensive than NYC. Further distance. Also, Virgin only fly from Orlando and Miami in the south. Don't have so many options as NYC in an emergency.
I am really sorry to hear ur news!! Even I am crying as i read this! My mom died 3 years ago she was 54. I didnt get to see her before, but when she died i went to the uk, got her handbag, and her make up, she wouldnt be seen dead without her makeup and I put it in a box and sealed it. That box is in my closet. I take it everywhere with me when I move, and one day, one day when i am brave enough I will open it up.But i know if i do i will smell her smell again, and see her handwriting on her shopping lists i even have her purse in there with her cash and cards in... I need it still locked. I hope that u are going to be ok. And if u need a chat, I am all ears. I thought though about air miles. Is it not possible to get a donation of air miles from people for flights if this situation arrises again? I have about 25,000 if its possible, and anyone needs them. Its easy to say chin up, but keep saying hi to her every day, i used to sit in the car on long drives and just talk to her, I know if she could she was listening. big hugs
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:45 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
Thank you everyone for your very fast replies.

I managed to get a flight with BA after racing to Atlanta airport on Friday 16.

This was surely the worse flight I'd ever had but the cost for myself and my daughter was $1,800 (I"ll double check that later as I only arrived back last night and I'm completely shattered). My mother had planned in advance that I should get enough money for the flight and this was already in place - apparently from when I left the UK in 2004.

After racing from Gatwick to Llanelli Hospital, Wales - I arrived to be told that my mother had died one minute before my arrival.

I'm in pieces ... emotionally torn apart. Trying very hard to carry on - well I know I have to. I feel so guilty that I didn't arrive in time ..

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies etc.
I'm so sorry to hear this Lara and don't feel guilty, you did everything you could. Peace and love to you
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:00 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear you sad news.
I only lived a few miles from the hospital when my mum died but I didn't get there in time. Don't feel guilty, easy to say and not so easy to do. My mum died 4 years ago and I still feel sad that I wasn't with her and I regret all the missed opportunities to spend time with her.
But then I think of al the good things we did do and, as a mother, I know she wouldn't want me to feel bad.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:28 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Lara, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know just how you feel as I have lost both my parents. My Mum first and my Dad a year later. The grief is so brutal and so easy to blame ourselves for things beyond our control. Please believe that your Mum knew the only thing that matters most, your love for her. All else becomes insignificant by comparison. You came to be by her side and she knows it.
God bless. Tegs.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
I am? I have about 25,000 if its possible, and anyone needs them.
What a nice person you are ......
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:06 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

yeah, it's all sad. when i got back to the US from my mum's funeral, I had a letter waiting for me from her, which she had written prior to going into the hospital for her op. she said she was very excited about getting her hip replaced, and how much better she would feel afterward. never happened. torture reading the letter.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:24 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
yeah, it's all sad. when i got back to the US from my mum's funeral, I had a letter waiting for me from her, which she had written prior to going into the hospital for her op. she said she was very excited about getting her hip replaced, and how much better she would feel afterward. never happened. torture reading the letter.
that's so sad
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Mum.
When this happened to me it was to get back for Dad. But I just got a regular flight as they said at such short notice price was no different.
I got back on the Saturday morning and Dad died on the Sunday night. That was 2 years ago now. Its hard and always will be.
Take care.