Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:46 am
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Wish I could offer some advice, just want to say I am sorry and hope you are able to find a flight soon.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Zoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of light

I'm so sorry and understand how important and upsetting this is for you.

We recently had to fly urgently back to England for my Father in Law's funeral.

My husband was already in England ahead of us, and I flew out with my boys.

We flew out on United and got a compassionate fare of $469 round trip, Chicago O'Hare to London Heathrow. We had a seven week advance purchase; my husband did not and his fare on American was $629 to fly out on the same day as purchased.

We went out on Jan. 31 and returned Tues. Feb. 6. I don't know if that has changed much by now.

They will ask you for information from the hospital/doctor/undertakers. While this may seem unusual to you, it's a standard request here since people are spread out across the country and this is common for people to have to fly last night under such circumstances.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I'd second the advice about having a quick look for ordinary cheap tickets. We were in a similar situation and wanted the first flight we could find. Most tickets were $2000+ but for some reason Virgin had seats at a good price that could be booked online. Easier than going through a long explanation with details at a difficult time. If you can't find a cheap ticket, compassionate fares are definitely a good idea, but not always necessary.

All the best...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: My mother is dying and I need URGENT advice

Originally Posted by Lara45
My mother has been ill and has been in hospital for the past five weeks, I spoke with my sister tonight and she has told me that my mother is dying .. the prognosis is not good ... doctors have said that they wouldnt give her life support ... Im sorry .. Im very emotional .. my mother's body is failing her and I HAVE TO GET BACK ... I hvae to see her. She is asking for me .. Oh please can anyone tell me what "compassion?? flights are ??? Funds are low .. please can anyone point me in the right direction??
Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope you can get back to see her.

Best Wishes!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

I had exactly the same situation - we called BA and explained the circumstances, they gave us a compassionate rate of half that advertised
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:56 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aznewsh
I had exactly the same situation - we called BA and explained the circumstances, they gave us a compassionate rate of half that advertised
Mine said compassionate I am starting to wonder what the real price would of been? I paid O'Hare to Norwich rtn $1004 booked and flew the same day.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

My mother has been ill and has been in hospital for the past five weeks, I spoke with my sister tonight and she has told me that my mother is dying .. the prognosis is not good ... doctors have said that they wouldnt give her life support ... Im sorry .. Im very emotional .. my mother's body is failing her and I HAVE TO GET BACK ... I hvae to see her. She is asking for me .. Oh please can anyone tell me what "compassion?? flights are ??? Funds are low .. please can anyone point me in the right direction??
Thank you everyone for your very fast replies.

I managed to get a flight with BA after racing to Atlanta airport on Friday 16.

This was surely the worse flight I'd ever had but the cost for myself and my daughter was $1,800 (I"ll double check that later as I only arrived back last night and I'm completely shattered). My mother had planned in advance that I should get enough money for the flight and this was already in place - apparently from when I left the UK in 2004.

After racing from Gatwick to Llanelli Hospital, Wales - I arrived to be told that my mother had died one minute before my arrival.

I'm in pieces ... emotionally torn apart. Trying very hard to carry on - well I know I have to. I feel so guilty that I didn't arrive in time ..

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your news
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear this Lara.......sending you
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

UKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud ofUKgirl has much to be proud of

Very sorry to hear this news Lara.

Don't feel guilty, you did whatever was humanly possible to be there and your mum knew you were coming.

Peace to you and your family.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god I'm so very sorry. My mum died last year while I was pregnant and I never got back to see her and couldn't even go to her funeral. Try not to feel guilty, you tried your very best to get back in time. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your very fast replies.

I managed to get a flight with BA after racing to Atlanta airport on Friday 16.

This was surely the worse flight I'd ever had but the cost for myself and my daughter was $1,800 (I"ll double check that later as I only arrived back last night and I'm completely shattered). My mother had planned in advance that I should get enough money for the flight and this was already in place - apparently from when I left the UK in 2004.

After racing from Gatwick to Llanelli Hospital, Wales - I arrived to be told that my mother had died one minute before my arrival.

I'm in pieces ... emotionally torn apart. Trying very hard to carry on - well I know I have to. I feel so guilty that I didn't arrive in time ..

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies etc.

so very sorry to hear about your mum however please don't feel guilty for a second ....i sat with my beloved Mum at the end and the minute i left to go to the loo she passed over and i too felt ever so guilty. however the nurse said in her experience the loved ones choose to leave us while no-one is in the room. take care.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Sweetie I am so very very sorry to hear your news as I know only too well what you are going through.

Chin up and I hope that you can move on slowly and peacefully with your life,you did everything that you could and she knows that I am sure.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

This is very sad news Lara.
I went through the same thing at Christmas. We tried every airline and the only one that had compasionate flights was Virgin Atlantic. They were exceptionaly helpfull. They told us to find the cheapest flight on their web site and they would then discount it if we called them with the details. We had to book a return date but they said we could change the date without any extra charge with just a phone call, they stuck to their word because we changed flights at no extra cost. Besides this they treated us like royalty both ways.
Call the British offices and ask for help........ The number is on the web site.

I wish you the best of luck and hope this info is of help.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dolly,
Stupid thoughtless me ........... I should have read the whole thread first.
I noticed the cost was rather excesive ! Virgin charged $1200 for 4 of us.

Sorry Lara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.