Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My journey begins

My journey begins

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: My journey begins

Interview was today, appointment set for 9am

I arrived at the embassy at around 8am, got in line for security, then through that (having dropped my phone off at Gould Pharmacy for £3), and up to the welcome desk, where I was issued my number - I915, so presumably the 15th immigrant visa of the day.

Went into the waiting area and sat down to wait..... and wait..... and wait

Got called through for the first part where they take your fingerprints and check the documentation at 10.15, then sent away again.

Half an hour later I was called through for my interview, which consisted of signing a form, answering a couple of questions such as have we met before, have I ever stayed longer than 90 days in the US, and then the decision was given...

APPROVED!!

Sent to the DX Courier desk to pay my courier fee, and out of the embassy by 11am.

I think that we can class that as a successful day, don't you?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo! congrats, rallybug!!!
Success indeed.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road

Great stuff, congratulations matey
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Visa in passport and brown envelope received at 11.15 this morning
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rallybug
Visa in passport and brown envelope received at 11.15 this morning
YAY!! Congrats.....next stage.....
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Car was sold last Saturday.

TV, hdd recorder, blu-ray player, fridge freezer sold to brother, tumble dryer and bedroom furniture sold to parents.

Finished work last Friday (will maybe start again for them in the new year, once I have my EAD, working remotely again).

TransGlobalExpress used to book 11 boxes to go via DHL next Monday.

Gininda leaves SLC tomorrow lunchtime (MDT), arrives in Somerset early evening on Friday.

Family party Saturday lunchtime, meal at a local restaurant with friends Sunday night.

My brother, mum, dad and the two of us leave 7am at the latest on Tuesday, for the 12.50pm flight to O'Hare for Gin and I. Four hour layover in Chicago for immigration, customs, etc, then on to Salt Lake City, arriving just before 10pm Tuesday local time.

Gin's mom is picking us up in her dad's old pickup (classy way to arrive ) for the two of us, 4 suitcases, two cabin cases and two personal luggage bits (bag for Gin, laptop case for me).

Tis getting very close now
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrived and settled

DHL picked up my 11 boxes of stuff on Monday morning at about 11.30, so the journey really started. Loaded up at 6.45am Tuesday morning for the journey to LHR for the flight - Mum, Dad and my brother came with us, brother driving a rented Ford Galaxy to get all of us plus luggage in.

Got into Chicago O'Hare a few minutes early and headed off for Immigration.

I cornered a CBP officer and confirmed with him that I needed to complete a white I-94 and that the customs declaration only needed to have the back completed if I was bringing with me things that I'd had for less than a year or was planning on selling in the US.

Joined the immigration queue - we actually joined the USC/LPR queue as they said it didn't matter which. Got a youngish female CBP officer who took the brown envelope, opened it and started stamping forms left, right and centre (sorry, center ). She chatted away with the two of us (Gin had come over to the UK a few days before so that we could journey back together), stamped everything that needed to be stamped and sent us on our way.

Picked up the bags from the carousel and went through to the customs point - they looked at the declarations, and waved is on through - even with 4 large suitcases, two cabin cases and two backpacks

No stresses at immigration/customs whatsoever! No secondary, nothing Of course, that hadn't stopped me getting stressed about what could happen when the plane was coming in to land...

Over 3 hours at O'Hare, then onward flight to SLC where we were picked up by Gin's parents in her dad's old pick-up with topper (the only vehicle big enough for 4 people plus all the luggage ).

Home and in bed by about 10.30pm.

Wednesday, and we were up early (the joys of an early night!) ready for errands - Gin handed me the keys to the car so that I could start getting used to driving in the US (only done it once before for a week on holiday) and we were off up to the county seat for the marriage license, then T-Mobile for my new sim card (Gin and her family are on T-Mob so it's easier, even though I do lose 3G from my iPhone), and finally grocery stores for bits and pieces.

Got home for lunch and there were the 11 boxes dumped on the drive - a little battered and bruised from their journeys though. We had lunch and then dived into the boxes - all 11 unpacked and some of the stuff sorted away by dinner time. Only a few breakages (5 glasses, a mug, a Le Creuset baking dish and a sponge tin dented to buggery), so not too bad all considered.

The stresses and strains then left me in bed all day yesterday suffering, but I'm better today, so hopefully it'll all be OK now, and, of course, Gin is off work as it's the weekend from tonight

Only thing left to sort is my health insurance - the company I was going to go with (Humana) requires me to have lived in the US for 6 months prior to taking out the insurance, so back to square one. Gin's health insurance from her employer is a lot more money to add me on than the quotes I was getting, so if we can beat that, it'd be good. More to look into tonight and this weekend, I think - wonder if I'll have to speak to an insurance agent...
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

It was so exciting to read your story, and to hear you so happily moved to the US! Congratulations. Got my interview in September, so fingers crossed I'll be in the States by October. Good luck with everything Stateside and hope the insurance gets sorted easily!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road

Great to know you're finally there. I have my interview on the 6th Sept. The wait is killing me lol!!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

In, married and now having the fun of completing all the AOS forms

Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Congratulations! You look so happy. Let us know how things are going with the AOS. xx

http://eveinthequeencity.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

http://samwise.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-dFWnRWh-M.jpg
What a great photo!! Thank you for sharing, and congratulations!

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

krazstir is an unknown quantity at this point

many congrats!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Arrived and settled

DHL picked up my 11 boxes of stuff on Monday morning at about 11.30, so the journey really started. Loaded up at 6.45am Tuesday morning for the journey to LHR for the flight - Mum, Dad and my brother came with us, brother driving a rented Ford Galaxy to get all of us plus luggage in.

Got into Chicago O'Hare a few minutes early and headed off for Immigration.

I cornered a CBP officer and confirmed with him that I needed to complete a white I-94 and that the customs declaration only needed to have the back completed if I was bringing with me things that I'd had for less than a year or was planning on selling in the US.

Joined the immigration queue - we actually joined the USC/LPR queue as they said it didn't matter which. Got a youngish female CBP officer who took the brown envelope, opened it and started stamping forms left, right and centre (sorry, center ). She chatted away with the two of us (Gin had come over to the UK a few days before so that we could journey back together), stamped everything that needed to be stamped and sent us on our way.

Picked up the bags from the carousel and went through to the customs point - they looked at the declarations, and waved is on through - even with 4 large suitcases, two cabin cases and two backpacks

No stresses at immigration/customs whatsoever! No secondary, nothing Of course, that hadn't stopped me getting stressed about what could happen when the plane was coming in to land...

Over 3 hours at O'Hare, then onward flight to SLC where we were picked up by Gin's parents in her dad's old pick-up with topper (the only vehicle big enough for 4 people plus all the luggage ).

Home and in bed by about 10.30pm.

Wednesday, and we were up early (the joys of an early night!) ready for errands - Gin handed me the keys to the car so that I could start getting used to driving in the US (only done it once before for a week on holiday) and we were off up to the county seat for the marriage license, then T-Mobile for my new sim card (Gin and her family are on T-Mob so it's easier, even though I do lose 3G from my iPhone), and finally grocery stores for bits and pieces.

Got home for lunch and there were the 11 boxes dumped on the drive - a little battered and bruised from their journeys though. We had lunch and then dived into the boxes - all 11 unpacked and some of the stuff sorted away by dinner time. Only a few breakages (5 glasses, a mug, a Le Creuset baking dish and a sponge tin dented to buggery), so not too bad all considered.

The stresses and strains then left me in bed all day yesterday suffering, but I'm better today, so hopefully it'll all be OK now, and, of course, Gin is off work as it's the weekend from tonight

Only thing left to sort is my health insurance - the company I was going to go with (Humana) requires me to have lived in the US for 6 months prior to taking out the insurance, so back to square one. Gin's health insurance from her employer is a lot more money to add me on than the quotes I was getting, so if we can beat that, it'd be good. More to look into tonight and this weekend, I think - wonder if I'll have to speak to an insurance agent...
With regards to the white I-94, is this just if you're bringing a lot of stuff in? I'm bringing 3 suitcases and a wedding dress, but that's all. There are only clothes in there, really, other than my camera and laptop, which will be in hand luggage. Will I need to do the same?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

rashidmn is an unknown quantity at this point

http://samwise.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-dFWnRWh-M.jpg
Congratulations! You guys look great together.

I was wondering if you could help me out with some information as you have already been through this process

I got engaged in January, and I129F filed in February. Got approved and approved petition forwarded to the embassy in July. Got the packet 3 with the LND case number in the first week of August. Got medical done the same week as I was travelling out of the country.

Sent it the forms mentioned on the packet 3 (DS-230-I, 2 x DS-156, DS-156K, 2 x DS-157, DS-2001) with all the supporting documents (Certified copy of birth certificate with certified translation, evidence of engagement, financial support docs, police certificates) on 16th September.

I have not paid the fee yet. I was under the impression that I will have to pay it after I get the interview date. Please advice on what I should do?

Also, I noticed from your previous posts that you got information about the status of the application even before you got letters from the embassy (for example you knew about the interview date before you got the letter from the embassy). What is the best way to get information about the status of application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.