Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My Job hunting experience so far in the US

My Job hunting experience so far in the US

Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future
Default My Job hunting experience so far in the US

Just thought i'd share my experiences so far in job hunting in the US. After reading someones post where they had applied for 150 jobs before getting an interview i was actually quite worried.

Here's the background, I live just outside DC (chevy chase, MD) and have just recently graduated as some of you may know from a post a few days back with Upper Second (2:1) in accounting and finance.

The methods i have used so far are:
Washingtonpost.com - has loads of jobs
Monster.com - get loads of people contacting you that aren't always relevant FBI anyone haha?

Through washingtonpost i obviously encountered some agencies and have been approached by 4 agencies of which 2 i have met with, the second one being particularly impressive. Not wanting to have to many agencies because you can just imagine being put forward for the same job by differing agencies is not going to go down well with the company or the agencies.

On meeting with them they both said i should earn around 40k which is much more than my original thinking of 25k-30k.

The agency i was most impressed with have secured me a telephone interview already (only saw them yesterday) for what would be my ideal job, so i am really hoping that one turns out for the good.

Through washingtonpost.com i applied for a job that wasn't through an agency and today i received a lovely phonecall from them telling me all about the company and inviting me for an interview tomorrow - great news.

Now i know there is a lot of views about Health Insurance and this job gives you 100% PPO with only a $15 charge per visit paid by me sounds excellent to me.

So far my impressions in job hunting in the US are good i would like to point out i have applied for about 15-20 positions so its not working out to bad.

I'll keep you guys updated on any other information.

I get the feeling the agencies love having an english guy to help or maybe its cause i have a good resume who knows.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: My Job hunting experience so far in the US

Originally Posted by gooner81
Just thought i'd share my experiences so far in job hunting in the US. After reading someones post where they had applied for 150 jobs before getting an interview i was actually quite worried.

Here's the background, I live just outside DC (chevy chase, MD) and have just recently graduated as some of you may know from a post a few days back with Upper Second (2:1) in accounting and finance.

The methods i have used so far are:
Washingtonpost.com - has loads of jobs
Monster.com - get loads of people contacting you that aren't always relevant FBI anyone haha?

Through washingtonpost i obviously encountered some agencies and have been approached by 4 agencies of which 2 i have met with, the second one being particularly impressive. Not wanting to have to many agencies because you can just imagine being put forward for the same job by differing agencies is not going to go down well with the company or the agencies.

On meeting with them they both said i should earn around 40k which is much more than my original thinking of 25k-30k.

The agency i was most impressed with have secured me a telephone interview already (only saw them yesterday) for what would be my ideal job, so i am really hoping that one turns out for the good.

Through washingtonpost.com i applied for a job that wasn't through an agency and today i received a lovely phonecall from them telling me all about the company and inviting me for an interview tomorrow - great news.

Now i know there is a lot of views about Health Insurance and this job gives you 100% PPO with only a $15 charge per visit paid by me sounds excellent to me.

So far my impressions in job hunting in the US are good i would like to point out i have applied for about 15-20 positions so its not working out to bad.

I'll keep you guys updated on any other information.

I get the feeling the agencies love having an english guy to help or maybe its cause i have a good resume who knows.

Gooner

It sounds like things are going well for you. I too have been to see an agency as I dont seem to have much luck with Monster.

The agency has put me forward for a company where they have a part time position which would allow me to get involved on the HR side of things. Even though I really wanted to work full time, I will (if offered) take the part time job just to get involved in HR here in the US. I was a HR manager in the UK and did not think I would be able to go for jobs in my field until I had learned more about the american system.

Keep your fingers crossed as I have my interview today at 3pm.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by broma25
Gooner

It sounds like things are going well for you. I too have been to see an agency as I dont seem to have much luck with Monster.

The agency has put me forward for a company where they have a part time position which would allow me to get involved on the HR side of things. Even though I really wanted to work full time, I will (if offered) take the part time job just to get involved in HR here in the US. I was a HR manager in the UK and did not think I would be able to go for jobs in my field until I had learned more about the american system.

Keep your fingers crossed as I have my interview today at 3pm.
I will do, good luck the english accent alone will give you a head start on anyone else it seems they just love it.

I completely agree with you about taking it anyway thats what i am thinking i may have to do just to get into the system and having something american to put on your resume will help you find other jobs a few months down the line.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
The one thing i've learnt from being here (luckily not from experience) is never ask about the salary until your offered the job not only that if they ask you say you are negotiable and that you are sure a company such as them would pay what would be the correct rate.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Initially I will be working for the agency (assuming I get it), and the pay is fairly decent, not like I was earning in the UK but not that bad either. The good thing is, the company are looking for a temp to perm person and there may even be the possibility of full time in the future.

I think I will sit down and say a prayer before I go.....