This is my intro but I am posting to this forum too since it's relevent

This is my intro but I am posting to this forum too since it's relevent

Old Aug 28th 2010, 3:39 am
Just Joined

irontwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is my intro but I am posting to this forum too since it's relevent

Hello everyone,
I live and work in San Diego.
Grew up in Blackpool, went on to Uni, got a bunch of qualifications, (what a great and free education system), only to find the the opportunities for a freshly minted PhD were way better in the USA. Now 23 years on, I can't say I have many regrets.
I'm interested to know if anyone on the site has experience setting up a subsidiary company in the US with HQ in UK.
A good friend has a company growing in the UK (internet focused) he is interested to set up a US operation and I have offered to help him get it going, this will be a small bootstrap effort to start with but the potential for rapid expansion is significant.
I'd be really interested to discuss with anyone who has had to walk this path.
Thanks to whoever put this site together
Irontwin
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This is my intro but I am posting to this forum too since it's relevent

The times you see it here is where somebody with a UK company is looking to use it to move themselves and their family over. Economics sometimes seems secondary.

Other than that I am not sure what you want to know?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 6:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is my intro but I am posting to this forum too since it's relevent

There are some reporting requirements that have to take place if your company is owned by a foreign entity, or if you have foreigners owning more than a certain percentage of a US company, or if you own a certain percentage of a foreign company. There are also some complicated tax bits if the two companies are having sales / profits across borders (i.e. what some companies do is put all their 'costs' in a high tax country, like the US, and then have all their profits 'arrive' to a subsidiary in say the Virgin Islands where there is little tax). Needless to say governments get annoyed at all that.

Anyway, it can get quite complicated. My advice is before you commit anything on paper you have an attorney experienced with cross border transactions take a look at the documents and the reporting requirements you will be responsible for filing.