British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   My green card isn't green (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/my-green-card-isnt-green-241823/)

g1ant Jul 13th 2004 9:08 am

My green card isn't green

Well, after all the time, trouble and expense of getting the little blighter, I now find that I've been diddled and have got a cream card not a green card.

I'm off to the Hobby Lobby to get some green film to stick over it.

Did anyone else feel the same feeling of anti-climax on receiving their card. Two years down the line I have the I-551 stamp, a SS number, a texas driving licence and now a cream card. The full set. What is there in life to look forward to now?

I suppose I'd better see if I can get a gun licence..... :rolleyes:

cuckoofrommars Jul 13th 2004 10:44 am

Actually your next steps are (in no particular order)-:

Parking tickets.
Citizenship.
Sire illegitimate children.
Divorced.
VD.
Laser treatment to remove back and rectal hair.
Fat.

Aaah it's great to be American.

ScousePete Jul 13th 2004 10:48 am

Originally posted by cuckoofrommars
Actually your next steps are (in no particular order)-:

Parking tickets.
Citizenship.
Sire illegitimate children.
Divorced.
VD.
Laser treatment to remove back and rectal hair.
Fat.

Aaah it's great to be American.
And you have to sue someone (or be sued) Only then can you understand the meaning of being American :rolleyes: :D

Yorkieabroad Jul 14th 2004 4:25 am

Re: My green card isn't green

Originally posted by g1ant

I suppose I'd better see if I can get a gun licence..... :rolleyes:
No worries - you've got a drivers license - thats all you need!!!!:scared:

Was in Bass outdoor proshops this afternoon with a visitor from the UK who does a lot of sport shooting. Noticed you can pick up a .50 calibre rifle for 179.99 - what the hell do you need that for? Not a lot of elehpants or rhino round here..... :confused: :scared:

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 14th 2004 5:58 am

Re: My green card isn't green

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
No worries - you've got a drivers license - thats all you need!!!!:scared:

Was in Bass outdoor proshops this afternoon with a visitor from the UK who does a lot of sport shooting. Noticed you can pick up a .50 calibre rifle for 179.99 - what the hell do you need that for? Not a lot of elehpants or rhino round here..... :confused: :scared:
To fit on to your Bulldozer, of course. I cycled through Granby a few weeks ago and it was quite spectacular the damage he did.

Man found dead after Granby rampage
Heemeyer apparently shot himself after destruction

By P. Solomon Banda, Associated Press
June 6, 2004

GRANBY — A muffler shop owner who plowed a makeshift armored bulldozer into several buildings after a dispute with city officials was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after a SWAT team cut their way into the machine with a blowtorch early Saturday, authorities said.

Grand County Sheriff Rod Johnson said the driver, identified by the town manager as Marvin Heemeyer, appeared to have shot himself. Crews using a crane removed his body from the improved tank Saturday morning.

Heemeyer plowed the armor-plated bulldozer into the town hall, a former mayor's home and at least five other buildings Friday before the machine ground to a halt in the wreckage of a warehouse.

City officials said he was angry over a zoning dispute and fines from city code violations at his business.

Authorities detonated three explosions and fired at least 200 rounds against the heavy steel plates welded to the bulldozer, which looked like an upside down Dumpster. After the third explosion failed, officials cut their way in with a blowtorch, said Grand County Emergency Management Director Jim Holahan.

Holahan said Heemeyer was armed with a .50-caliber weapon but appeared to be deliberately avoiding injuring anyone during the rampage, which began Friday at about 3 p.m. No other injuries were reported.

Trainor said the dozer's armor plates consisted of two sheets of half-inch steel with a foot of concrete between them.

Grand County Commissioner Duane Dailey said Heemeyer apparently used a video camera and two monitors found inside to guide the dozer. Two guns were mounted in front and aimed through portals. Other portals were cut in the back.

It was unclear how many guns were found with Heemeyer. Authorities speculated Heemeyer may have used a homemade crane found in his garage to lower the armor hull over the dozer and himself.

"Once he tipped that lid shut, he knew he wasn't getting out," Dailey said.

Investigators searched the garage where they think Heemeyer built the vehicle and found cement, armor and steel.

One officer was perched on top, firing shot after shot into the top and once dropping an explosive down the exhaust pipe.

"He just kept shooting," Moore said. "The dozer was still going. He threw what looked like a flash-bang down the exhaust. It didn't do a thing."

A flash-bang produces a blinding flash and earsplitting boom designed to stun a suspect.

"It sounded to me like an automatic rifle, firing about every second," said Sandra Tucker, who saw the bulldozer begin the rampage from her office on Main Street.

Town Manager Tom Hale said owners of all the buildings that were damaged had some connection to Heemeyer's disputes.

The buildings included the cement plant, a utility company, a bank, a newspaper office, a hardware store and warehouse, the home of former Mayor L.R. "Dick" Thompson and the municipal building, which also housed a library.

Crumpled patrol cars and service trucks lay in the dozer's path. A pickup was folded nearly in half and had been rammed through the wall of a building.

Gov. Bill Owens traveled Friday night to Granby, about 50 miles west of Denver and 10 miles south of Rocky Mountain National Park.

State aid will be available to help rebuild local government buildings, and state officials will help businesses seek federal help, said Mike Beasley, director of the state Department of Local Affairs.

Yorkieabroad Jul 15th 2004 4:23 am

One too many episodes of The A Team as a kiddie methinks....;)

GJB Jul 16th 2004 3:51 pm

I watched that all the time as a kid, I pity the fool who didn't.

And yet, I didn't notice it until about a year ago when someone pointed it out to me, but no-one ever actually DIED in the A-Team. All those bullets, car flips and beatings by Mr T and yet not one case of amputation or brain damage, let alone a death. What a truly family friendly show it was.

Not like Knight Rider, people did die in that I seem to recall, but the pleasure of watching it was tempered by the Hasselhoff chest hair and 'bouffant'.

GJB

GJB Jul 16th 2004 3:51 pm

<none>