Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend lost her job (I-129 visa)

My girlfriend lost her job (I-129 visa)

Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:50 am
Just Joined

greggfranks is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My girlfriend lost her job (I-129 visa)

Hello,

My French girlfriend lost her job at Oracle in California...she is here on a I-129 Visa (L1-B transfer from Oracle in EMEA). Shenwants to stay here and collect unemployment until she can find another job....can she stay here? Does she have the right to work here? Are there any workarounds.....would getting married help? She is entitled to unemployment funds....but she must be able to work here to collect......please help!!!

Thanks,

Gregg
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure on the answer to this one, you might want to post this on the US Visa forum.

Don't think she is entitled to unemployment if she is not a citizen or permanent resident. Us aliens can pay social security but believe we are not entitled to collect for unemployment.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: My girlfriend lost her job (I-129 visa)

If her job has finished already he is present in the USA illegally - there are significant penalties for this.

Getting married would help - seek proper legal advice immediately

Originally posted by greggfranks
Hello,

My French girlfriend lost her job at Oracle in California...she is here on a I-129 Visa (L1-B transfer from Oracle in EMEA). Shenwants to stay here and collect unemployment until she can find another job....can she stay here? Does she have the right to work here? Are there any workarounds.....would getting married help? She is entitled to unemployment funds....but she must be able to work here to collect......please help!!!

Thanks,

Gregg
Old Jul 1st 2003, 3:16 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My girlfriend lost her job (I-129 visa)

Originally posted by greggfranks
Hello,

Thanks,

Gregg
As soon as her job finishes she is no longer eligible to stay in the US as the reason for her visa no longer exists and therefor her visa is null and void. You will have to marry before she loses her job and then AOS.

She cannot collect unemployment.

She cannot get another job unless the sponsorship is through before she loses her current job.

Good Luck

Patrick