Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is my friend a Brit?

Is my friend a Brit?

Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all
Default Is my friend a Brit?

Hi, was hoping for some help here as I know there's a reasonable amount of expertise on the subject of citizenship.

My friend is a canadian, born in canada. His dad is canadian, but his mother is British from Yorkshire. However, she moved to canada when she was just 8yrs old.

My friend has canadian citizenship, but we're wondering if he also has british through his mother. I've looked around, and I find text that seems to indicate if he was born after 1981-83 (not sure which), he is considered "British by descent" - but he was not, he was born in the 1970s, and I can't seem to find anything positive or negative in that regard.

Does anyone know, and can point me to the relative law?
thanks,
Matt
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my friend a Brit?

Prior to 1983 children born outside of the UK to British mothers but foreign fathers did not have a claim to British citizenship. That right was only passed through British fathers. At least that is my understanding.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
Hi, was hoping for some help here as I know there's a reasonable amount of expertise on the subject of citizenship.

My friend is a canadian, born in canada. His dad is canadian, but his mother is British from Yorkshire. However, she moved to canada when she was just 8yrs old.

My friend has canadian citizenship, but we're wondering if he also has british through his mother. I've looked around, and I find text that seems to indicate if he was born after 1981-83 (not sure which), he is considered "British by descent" - but he was not, he was born in the 1970s, and I can't seem to find anything positive or negative in that regard.

Does anyone know, and can point me to the relative law?
thanks,
Matt
No, you have to be born after 1983, but there is a path to British citizenship available to him.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Prior to 1983 children born outside of the UK to British mothers but foreign fathers did not have a claim to British citizenship. That right was only passed through British fathers. At least that is my understanding.
But the law has been updated since so that people born before 1983 can claim their UK citizenship. My SIL did it a few years ago - she was born in 1966 in New York to an American father and British mother.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

ahh very good - thanks for the web link, that seems to address the situation specifically - although I'm pretty sure he fails on #4

-Matt
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

ahh very good - thanks for the web link, that seems to address the situation specifically - although I'm pretty sure he fails on #4

-Matt
Always tricky, that one
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

-Matt
The good character requirement? Remember that convictions may not necessarily disqualify him. I think it just generally depends on what they think and how minor they are. For example, I don't think getting busted for pot 20 years ago is too likely to disqualify him today.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your friend will need to do a Section 4C registration. kins has already kindly posted the link. He'll need to send an application and £90 to Liverpool, twiddle his thumbs for a bit and then pop down to his local British consulate to swear allegiance to the Queen - not too much of a stretch since she's already his Queen - and he's British.

As for good character, unless he's spent time in prison or committed acts of terror, he should be good to go