Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My Fridge - US v UK :)

My Fridge - US v UK :)

Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:16 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default My Fridge - US v UK :)

OK, here's a Monday morning question for you.

Why OH Why OH Why is my HUGE / MASSIVE US Refridgerator always FULL UP. What did we do in England with Fridges 1/4 the size? How on earth did we survive over there?

Is it one of those mystery's where you always use whatever space you have. I checked yesterday and we had 7 different types (2 liter bottles) of fizzy drinks. That took up half the space. My beers I suppose took up some more but overall it was SO full up. I wonder how I survived in the UK!!

Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:32 pm
ImHere

Default Re: My Fridge - US v UK :)

Originally Posted by franc111s

Why OH Why OH Why is my HUGE / MASSIVE US Refridgerator always FULL UP. What did we do in England with Fridges 1/4 the size? How on earth did we survive over there?

Is it one of those mystery's where you always use whatever space you have. I checked yesterday and we had 7 different types (2 liter bottles) of fizzy drinks. That took up half the space. My beers I suppose took up some more but overall it was SO full up. I wonder how I survived in the UK!!

Its the Ice. Well it is in our freezer bit anyway. That and all the take home boxes full of bits of meals we couldnt manage...

Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the products I used in the UK were either smaller or we were able to buy a smaller size or we didn't put it in the fridge. We were out shopping one day and saw a fridge approximately the same size as our UK one and stood there looking at it in amazment. lol

The one thing that I absolutely hated about our fridge/freezer in the UK was that it wasn't a self-defrost.....so we'd have to take everything out and defrost that sucker....god I hated that!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:09 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I found that the products I used in the UK were either smaller or we were able to buy a smaller size or we didn't put it in the fridge. We were out shopping one day and saw a fridge approximately the same size as our UK one and stood there looking at it in amazment. lol

The one thing that I absolutely hated about our fridge/freezer in the UK was that it wasn't a self-defrost.....so we'd have to take everything out and defrost that sucker....god I hated that!
You may be right, but I was too busy staring at your avatar again to really take in what you said.

Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You mean that you haven't gone out and bought a second fridge to store your drinks in? How unAmerican!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose we didn't need to keep as much cold liquid available for most of the year, and I certainly didn't have to keep lots of bottled drinking water to avoid bad cases of the runs.

I don't have an enormous fridge here(only 2 of us) , not much bigger than my UK one, which was one of those retro Smeg type fridges, and quite spacious. But here the fridge is always choc-a-bloc due to US husband's insistence that we "stock-up" with the biggest jumbo size of every damned thing!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa's right.... a lot of it is the freezer compartment. It looks the size of a small desk drawer to me. I need ice! not to mention the abundance of frozen food in the US.

In most of the UK you could just chuck some stuff outside and it'd stay cold. Not always true of the US. We also tend to buy larger milk containers since we don't have milk delivery and right now there are two half-gallons in mine: skim and 1% milk. (The SIL does skim; my brother and I 1%.)

And IME the English go shopping more often -- it's usually a lot closer to home. Americans aim at going maybe once a week!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 6:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I don't have an enormous fridge here(only 2 of us) , not much bigger than my UK one, which was one of those retro Smeg type fridges, and quite spacious. But here the fridge is always choc-a-bloc due to US husband's insistence that we "stock-up" with the biggest jumbo size of every damned thing!
Oh yeah.... the disaster-preparation type. Does he have a flashlight and portable radio, and fresh batteries?
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
You mean that you haven't gone out and bought a second fridge to store your drinks in? How unAmerican!
We must slowly be turning into Yanks. We have a big fridge/freezer in the kitchen, a fridge in the basement for soda, beer etc. and a chest freezer in the garage. They are all full most of the time but my 13 yr old son can never ever find anything to eat.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:39 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by mandpete
They are all full most of the time but my 13 yr old son can never ever find anything to eat.
That is because you're supposed to predict in future what he'll want to eat on say the 27th June. And buy it at the correct time.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:49 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Ooooooh .... you just made me blush.

That's exactly what we did this year!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
That is because you're supposed to predict in future what he'll want to eat on say the 27th June. And buy it at the correct time.
LOL. He told me he loved Hot Pockets/Hot Subs so when they were on offer I (at his request) bought 15 assorted boxes but he's not keen on them anymore so we have plenty of those in the freezer. There again he's like that with all food, I never know from one day to the next what he likes and what he doesn't like.

Oh, how I love being the Mum of a teenager.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:57 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by mandpete
He told me he loved Hot Pockets/Hot Subs so when they were on offer I (at his request) bought 15 assorted boxes but he's not keen on them anymore so we have plenty of those in the freezer.
Oh, how I love being the Mum of a teenager.
Yup, love it one day, hate it the next. Ah well, they change their minds more frequently than their undies at this age!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:23 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Though my US fridge/freezer is bigger than my UK one, they have always been full. This is just the way I am.

When we're at other people's homes and the other half comments how other people's fridges are nowhere near as full as mine!

NC Penguin
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:46 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Though my US fridge/freezer is bigger than my UK one, they have always been full. This is just the way I am.

When we're at other people's homes and the other half comments how other people's fridges are nowhere near as full as mine!

NC Penguin
Full of frozen penguins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.