Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My First Pull (driving that is)

My First Pull (driving that is)

Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:42 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default My First Pull (driving that is)

Yes,

Just had my first driving stop. I couldn't believe it when the flashers went on. I was driving just below the limit in town, taking it easy coz the cop was on my bumper.

I thought - ayup, 'ere we go!!! The cop looked too young to smoke. He was very polite though. I had all my documents ready. He said - sir, do you know why you have been stopped? No, I replied. You have no brake lights.

I was expecting - get out of the car sir, lie down on the ground sir - I am now going to taser you sir ha ha I said - you mean one is out? He said - they are all out. All three. He was very pleasant though and he ran my detailsl etc.

Came back and gave me a ticket that says I have ten days to get it fixed, but if I need longer just give them a call. I dont have to pay anything unless I fail to have it fixed. I have a guy on it now.

Anyway, just thought I would share. It is another small milestone living in america - my first traffic stop. Cheers
Old Dec 19th 2007, 8:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Pull (driving that is)

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Yes,

Just had my first driving stop. I couldn't believe it when the flashers went on. I was driving just below the limit in town, taking it easy coz the cop was on my bumper.

I thought - ayup, 'ere we go!!! The cop looked too young to smoke. He was very polite though. I had all my documents ready. He said - sir, do you know why you have been stopped? No, I replied. You have no brake lights.

I was expecting - get out of the car sir, lie down on the ground sir - I am now going to taser you sir ha ha I said - you mean one is out? He said - they are all out. All three. He was very pleasant though and he ran my detailsl etc.

Came back and gave me a ticket that says I have ten days to get it fixed, but if I need longer just give them a call. I dont have to pay anything unless I fail to have it fixed. I have a guy on it now.

Anyway, just thought I would share. It is another small milestone living in america - my first traffic stop. Cheers
And I would say 95% of all traffic stops are the same

Although a cop used a bullshit excuse to stop me ...
was very polite ..went to check my details..came back ..asked me if my gun was on my person ( the licence info on the computer must have told him)
I said yes ...good man he said ...gave me a $7 ticket for failing to carry DL ..

and chatted for 15 mins about his trip to England when he was younger ...
absolutely no problem at all ...
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:30 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

was very polite ..went to check my details..came back ..asked me if my gun was on my person ( the licence info on the computer must have told him)
I said yes ...good man he said ...gave me a $7 ticket for failing to carry DL ..

As I have said my friend (who is black) has been pulled a couple of times by white cops in Birmingham, AL and he has never even been given a ticket. They are far more interested in his accent. Perhaps we have watched too many movies. The guy who pulled me didn't even go - whooooop.....whoop!!!! on his siren, which was a bit disappointing
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

In 4 years I've been pulled over about 10 or 12 times. All for speeding except on time the trooper wanted to put a dog in my car to check for drugs. Ive had a total of 8 points and Im expecting another two next month. Ive paid over $1000 in fines and $400 in radar detectors which have probably saved me my licence and another $1000 in fines.

Yes, the troopers are usually very polite and courteous and love to hear the accent as they bend me over and **** me in the ass for another ticket for being 10 or 15mph over the limit.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:22 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
In 4 years I've been pulled over about 10 or 12 times. All for speeding except on time the trooper wanted to put a dog in my car to check for drugs. Ive had a total of 8 points and Im expecting another two next month. Ive paid over $1000 in fines and $400 in radar detectors which have probably saved me my licence and another $1000 in fines.

Yes, the troopers are usually very polite and courteous and love to hear the accent as they bend me over and **** me in the ass for another ticket for being 10 or 15mph over the limit.
Have you ever hired an attorney to take care of those citations for you? I know I've done that here in Missouri when I got a speeding ticket. I was going 10 over and had it handled by a lawyer. I didn't have to show in court and no points were assessed. It also didn't get reported to my insurance company. Good thing to because my rates kick ass.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Have you ever hired an attorney to take care of those citations for you? I know I've done that here in Missouri when I got a speeding ticket. I was going 10 over and had it handled by a lawyer. I didn't have to show in court and no points were assessed. It also didn't get reported to my insurance company. Good thing to because my rates kick ass.
I bit the bullet and got one for this last ticket. I had been good for the last two years but I figure if I get a ban I'll move state, play the 'fresh off the boat immigrant" and get another licence. I figure if I do this through all 48 states by the time I get back to NY my licence will be clean again.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:31 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I bit the bullet and got one for this last ticket. I had been good for the last two years but I figure if I get a ban I'll move state, play the 'fresh off the boat immigrant" and get another licence. I figure if I do this through all 48 states by the time I get back to NY my licence will be clean again.
That won't help you out. Each state has an agreement with the other to report DMV activity to each other. So what happens in NY can and will follow to the other 49 states. What really matters though is that your insurance company doesn't find out about it. That's where you'll really get screwed in the long run since it takes years for your premiums to adjust after and incident. I believe between 3 and 5. Usually at 5 it falls off your record completely.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

That won't help you out. Each state has an agreement with the other to report DMV activity to each other. So what happens in NY can and will follow to the other 49 states. What really matters though is that your insurance company doesn't find out about it. That's where you'll really get screwed in the long run since it takes years for your premiums to adjust after and incident. I believe between 3 and 5. Usually at 5 it falls off your record completely.
I was taking the piss.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

I was taking the piss.
Hey you know I'm slow. I take the short bus to work you know.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you know I'm slow. I take the short bus to work you know.
Join the club, my dear......
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:51 pm
Bugger Off!

In Michigan they have driver responsibility fees on top of everything else. They have that where you are? The wife got a ticket for a broken tail light, didn't pay it in time and before long the costs had spiralled out of control. She now owes almost five bag, for a broken tail light FFS!!! She cant get her license back till she pays it. Hence I do all the driving. Lucky my local here is in walking distance!!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray

$7... Was it even worth the hassle for him to pull you over and get out the car :s
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:28 pm
Bugger Off!

Oh FFS!!! Just nipped out to the corner store and the bleedin indicators have stopped working too!!!! I have to get the young un to school tomorrow morning. I mean it is close by but it is a pretty turny route!! Drivers side window has never worked so I cant even hand signal. Got a guy coming round to fix it but he cant get here before ten am. Cant borrow a car or get a ride that early. Truly pissed off right now folks!!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Oh FFS!!! Just nipped out to the corner store and the bleedin indicators have stopped working too!!!! I have to get the young un to school tomorrow morning. I mean it is close by but it is a pretty turny route!! Drivers side window has never worked so I cant even hand signal. Got a guy coming round to fix it but he cant get here before ten am. Cant borrow a car or get a ride that early. Truly pissed off right now folks!!!
I think you need a new car

Strangley enough, I am selling one... You would have to go to the UK and collect it though
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:01 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by dh010447
I think you need a new car

Strangley enough, I am selling one... You would have to go to the UK and collect it though
I need a new pair of f cukin jeans first mate - and that aint looking likely lol. As for your car - go for a pint in a shitty area, forget to lock the doors and bobs your aunties live in lover!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.