Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My First Impressions and my Car Buying Experiance

My First Impressions and my Car Buying Experiance

Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default My First Impressions and my Car Buying Experiance

Well we have been here for a little over a week and all is going well. My observations so far.

a) The US is billed as being ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to my industry (Print and Junk Mail). Since joining I can say that this is not the case and in fact they are about 5-6 years behind the last company I worked for.

b) My UK credit card has been useful, however, I recently bought a couple of things online and my card got rejected cause they could verify my billing address !!!

c) Everybody has been really welcoming but they can not understand a word I say. I find it strange that we can understand the US accent reasonably well but the other way round is a real struggle for them.

d) Tolls are doing my head in, is it cheaper to drive in the US, well I reserve judgment as yesterday cost me over $10 in tolls!!!

e) My wife and I bought a couple of cars at the weekend and overall our experience went well. I got an Acura TL and the wife bought a Honda CRX mini SUV. I was surprised how much the car dealer was willing to lie on the credit application. As my wife is American, she applied; however, she has not been in the US for over 3 years so her rating is only "Fair". He wrote on the application that she worked where I work and earned my salary!!! It got approved at a fairly good rate but all the same I was surprised.

d) I can't do f**k all without a SSN, I can't even apply for my driving license!!

e) Nobody has a clue where Manchester or Leeds is, apparently I'm the guy from London, England. I kind of wish I now had a broad Cockney accent, that would really throw them.

f) Everybody drives slower, I know the speed limits are lower but generally the pace of car driving seems to be slower.

g) I Found Baked Beans in my local store (Kroger) in the UK section.

That’s it for now, generally things are going well and I'm happy.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Impressions and my Car Buying Experiance

I was surprised when I first came here too. I thought it would be a lot more modern than it was. Everywhere seemed so...50's looking to me. The banks seemed very old fashioned, the stores had the basics but not many foreign foods (I came in 92), and people seem slower in general. Things have changed a lot since I came, but I get where you're coming from. Good luck and welcome.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:28 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the ssn is a bummer. You endlessly explain to people like utility companies that you cant give them an ssn because you dont have one yet. then they ask for a driving licence and you have to patiently explain you cant get one of those either because you dont have an ssn etc etc
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I hear exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes it feels like you've come from outer space... the wierd looks you get as soon as you speak. The stunned silences when you answer the phone.
I swear we didn't react like that to "foreigners" when we were in the UK. Oh well, it's all part of the cultural differences we were warned to expect. Better get used to it!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:24 am
Just Joined

MNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant future

My wife has basically not existed since August due to not being able to get an SSN, now she has finally got it i can stop putting everything in my name! I got mine last year and it opened so many doors!

Car buying was a bit of a mare for us, but the salesman was fantastic - answered every question - despite them being stupid!

As for the blank looks when you talk - you should try having a broad scottish accent, it is fantastic when i am on the phone -even the guys and girls that work for me still find it a struggle!

Have fun!

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:29 am
Just Joined

duncs3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jmaster911

g) I Found Baked Beans in my local store (Kroger) in the UK section.
We have Stop and Shop here on Long island and the world food sections has most of what we miss, HP sauce, heinz tomato soup and beans and cream crackers