British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   my faith has been restored (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/my-faith-has-been-restored-214356/)

effi Mar 2nd 2004 10:37 pm

my faith has been restored

Does anyone out there ever wonder if being screwed on a regular basis by your average American Company is the norm?

I had my faith restored today by a gal named Mary at America West Airlines.

We have been planning a trip to Philly to see our grandson and wanted to get there for his 2nd birthday. We noticed that AW had an advertised price of $198 rt, so tried to book it. We were mindful of the blackout dates etc but try as we may over a period of 2 days, we were unable to come up with that fare anywhere on their website. My husband called them on a couple of occasions and just got the runaround. I thought to myself, this is misrepresentation, how can they advertise this price if they have no intention of letting anyone have it. I tried one more time to call them and got Mary at the Web Desk. She also tried everything I had, then conceded defeat. Apparently it is a mistake on their website. She then told me to pick the dates I wanted and she would give me the $198 price. Isn't that cool, I guess it pays not to give up.

Lion in Winter Mar 2nd 2004 10:42 pm

Re: my faith has been restored

Originally posted by effi
Does anyone out there ever wonder if being screwed on a regular basis by your average American Company is the norm?

I had my faith restored today by a gal named Mary at America West Airlines.

We have been planning a trip to Philly to see our grandson and wanted to get there for his 2nd birthday. We noticed that AW had an advertised price of $198 rt, so tried to book it. We were mindful of the blackout dates etc but try as we may over a period of 2 days, we were unable to come up with that fare anywhere on their website. My husband called them on a couple of occasions and just got the runaround. I thought to myself, this is misrepresentation, how can they advertise this price if they have no intention of letting anyone have it. I tried one more time to call them and got Mary at the Web Desk. She also tried everything I had, then conceded defeat. Apparently it is a mistake on their website. She then told me to pick the dates I wanted and she would give me the $198 price. Isn't that cool, I guess it pays not to give up.

Cool, yes, in a sense. Possibly also scared stiff at the thought of a "bait and switch" lawsuit. But then that's cynical old me. Enjoy your trip.

datcha Mar 3rd 2004 2:18 pm

I've just had my faith in humans restored also.

I was in Plano, TX, last week for a business trip and on Friday when I was about to fly out of DFW back to Burbank, CA, I lost my wallet. It had all my credit cards plus drivers license PLUS green card.

Needless to say I was bricking it.

After a weekend of calling the Lost&Found at DFW without luck I get into work in California on Monday morning to find a phone call from a guy in Grand Prairie (sp?), TX, saying his wife found my wallet at the airport and he'd like to send it back to me.

Cartwheels is a good description of what I was doing when I got that message.

So, just waiting for my nice leather wallet to get back to me now and if all is safe and well, that chap who called me will be receiving a very nice $$ money order winging its way to him.

Seems there are some decent folks still around.

Cheers,
David.

joto Mar 3rd 2004 2:48 pm

That is nice to know that there is still some honest people around. Hope everything gets back to you in one piece.

effi Mar 3rd 2004 7:29 pm

Originally posted by datcha

I was in Plano, TX, last week for a business trip and on Friday when I was about to fly out of DFW back to Burbank, CA, I lost my wallet. It had all my credit cards plus drivers license PLUS green card.

After a weekend of calling the Lost&Found at DFW without luck I get into work in California on Monday morning to find a phone call from a guy in Grand Prairie (sp?), TX, saying his wife found my wallet at the airport and he'd like to send it back to me.

So, just waiting for my nice leather wallet to get back to me now and if all is safe and well, that chap who called me will be receiving a very nice $$ money order winging its way to him.

Cheers,
David.
On a somewhat similar note, well sorta. I live on a golfcourse, very close to the 16th tee box and in theory we should be safe from errant shots. I have lived in my home for six years and in all that time have had only one broken window. That was until 2 weeks ago. I had just walked away from the sink when there was what sounded like an explosion going off, it was a golf ball thru my window (face height above the sink). I ran outside to the fence and caught the guys as they drove past. They stopped and one of them admitted it had been him. He gave me his name, address and cell phone number and I told him to call his insurance agent when he got home to IL and we would take it from there. He promised he would honour getting the window fixed.

Well, we waited and then ended up feeling like pratts. My husband said "we will never hear from this guy". We were getting ready to pay for it ourselves, no small feat, the windows are double paned and tinted and would have put a big dent in the wallet. Anyway, I got a call from this guy yesterday saying that he had called a couple of times but got no reply and did not leave a message. He asked me how to go about getting this resolved and I told him get in touch with your insurance agent and we shall take it from there. 5 minutes later his agent called me and we are now waiting for someone to come fix the window. This guy did not have to do this, he could have gone home from his vacation and thought "screw her", but he is doing the decent thing. Was a helluva shot though to have caused the damage it did, he had to have hit the ball dead left, I suggested more golf lessons might be in order.

JeanDupont Mar 3rd 2004 7:47 pm

Effi - be careful of the food situation of your chosen airline - we were told we could buy food on the plane - but half an hour before boarding we were then informed there would be none available.
That was a JFK to Las Vegas flight with AmericaWest a couple of months ago.

In future we will be packing our own picnic if we fly with them again on a longer flight.

Lion in Winter Mar 3rd 2004 8:01 pm

Originally posted by datcha

Cheers,
David.

In case it happens to anyone else, it doesn't matter if you lose your Green Card. They have all your info, and I mean ALL, on their computers and they just give (make that sell) you another one. I lost mine a while back - no difficulty, you just have to prove your identity.

datcha Mar 4th 2004 4:45 am

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
In case it happens to anyone else, it doesn't matter if you lose your Green Card. They have all your info, and I mean ALL, on their computers and they just give (make that sell) you another one. I lost mine a while back - no difficulty, you just have to prove your identity.
Yup, knew I'd be able to get another one, etc, but this kindly gent has saved me untold hours of standing at the ******* DMV office waiting for a drivers license replacement.

Its mainly just the hassle of losing something like that. Luckily I personally never carry cash in my wallet and always clear it out of cards/stuff I won't need when I go somewhere. In this instance I only had to cancel 2 Credit Cards, 1 Business Credit Card and 1 ATM card instead of all those plus Costco, Robinsons May, Mervyns, Huntingdon, etc.

Cheers,
David.