British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/my-experience-vws-foreign-business-scheme-749465/)

xathras Feb 23rd 2012 2:34 pm

My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme

Hi All,

Just wanted to give an insight to my experience of the VW Foreign Business Program.

I have recently leased a VW Jetta over the length of my H1B.
I needed a copy of My Visa, Social Security, References from 3 people in the US (I used 3 people I know from work), a copy of my wage slip and a HR Representative contact so they can check my work status.

It took a day or so for the mandatory checks to come back, but all was fine. The interest rate was good (pm if you want to know specifics).

Very pleased with the overall deal.

BTW, I don't work for VW, I wanted to post here as I know someone mentioned the scheme here but I had no details on how it worked, so thought it would be useful

Regards
Wayne

HarryTheSpider Feb 23rd 2012 4:47 pm

Re: My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme

I had a similarly good, quick & simple experience leasing from VW, facilitated through AIG's programme for inbound expats (which also sorted out credit cards, banks, car insurance etc).

Kar98 Feb 23rd 2012 4:55 pm

They're offering something similar for freshly graduated college students.

msk2u Mar 6th 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Wayne,
I'd be interestd in knowing the rate you got as am looking to do something similar. Thanks!

xathras Mar 7th 2012 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by msk2u (Post 9939681)
Hi Wayne,
I'd be interestd in knowing the rate you got as am looking to do something similar. Thanks!

Hi,

I'll PM you the details.

Regards
Wayne

markwm Mar 7th 2012 7:50 pm

Just had a call from VW to say my Foreign Business Program application has gone through and I'll collect the car later. Pretty straightforward process though with very slightly different requirements/paperwork to that which you have reported. However, have to say the staff at the garage (Santa Monica VW) were excellent - can't tell you the number of dealers we got up and walked out of. Thought we did a fair deal: I had a figure in mind that I wanted to spend on the down and monthly and pretty much hit it on the nose: worth haggling which they're quite used to anyway.

Now just have to sort out the insurance and off we go! :)

xathras Mar 7th 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 9941268)
Just had a call from VW to say my Foreign Business Program application has gone through and I'll collect the car later. Pretty straightforward process though with very slightly different requirements/paperwork to that which you have reported. However, have to say the staff at the garage (Santa Monica VW) were excellent - can't tell you the number of dealers we got up and walked out of. Thought we did a fair deal: I had a figure in mind that I wanted to spend on the down and monthly and pretty much hit it on the nose: worth haggling which they're quite used to anyway.

Now just have to sort out the insurance and off we go! :)

Hi Mark,

Might help for others if you put down the documents you needed to provide.

Regards
Wayne

markwm Mar 7th 2012 9:04 pm

Sure:

Visa (could only get a 2 year lease as the visa had a little under 3 years left - fair enough)
Copy of Social Security card.
Copy of driving license.
Copy of job offer letter showing annual salary.
2 personal references.

I think that was it - taken a couple of days but no problem.

I meant to add I thought it was easier because I knew exactly what car I wanted and how much I was prepared to pay for it before I set foot in the garage.

msk2u Mar 8th 2012 1:05 am

Thanks! Did the same thing and the docs indicated is accurate.

Bogester May 9th 2012 8:11 pm

Hi all

The VW Foreign Business Program sounds very interesting indeed. I'm due to move to the US in a couple of months' time and am looking to lease a car. I realise that I need a SSN to qualify, but I will enquire beforehand anyway. I'd be very grateful if someone could PM me the rate they got from VW for this.

Thanks!
Bogester

xathras May 9th 2012 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bogester (Post 10050998)
Hi all

The VW Foreign Business Program sounds very interesting indeed. I'm due to move to the US in a couple of months' time and am looking to lease a car. I realise that I need a SSN to qualify, but I will enquire beforehand anyway. I'd be very grateful if someone could PM me the rate they got from VW for this.

Thanks!
Bogester

PM in your inbox..

jxsteinberg May 9th 2012 11:10 pm

I too can vouch for this program. Have purchased a GTI through them supplying the above mentioned documents at an interest rate of 1.9%. Whole process was very simple and also a great way to build up your credit score

Bogester May 10th 2012 8:53 pm

Does anyone have the contact details for this program? The only weblink I can find is for an independent company that is not affiliated with VW.

Many thanks
Bogester

markwm May 10th 2012 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bogester (Post 10053411)
Does anyone have the contact details for this program? The only weblink I can find is for an independent company that is not affiliated with VW.

Many thanks
Bogester

You should be able to walk into any dealership and they will give you the details though you might need to speak to the manager or finance bloke because the salesman knew nothing about it (though was very helpful with the rest of the deal - Santa Monica VW if it's of any use to you).

Bogester May 10th 2012 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10053428)
You should be able to walk into any dealership and they will give you the details though you might need to speak to the manager or finance bloke because the salesman knew nothing about it (though was very helpful with the rest of the deal - Santa Monica VW if it's of any use to you).

The thing is, I'm still in the UK, and will be for another couple of months. I'm hoping that I can get quotes before I even leave for the US. Do you know if this is possible?