Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme

My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme

Old May 10th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: My experience of VW's Foreign Business Scheme

Originally Posted by Bogester
The thing is, I'm still in the UK, and will be for another couple of months. I'm hoping that I can get quotes before I even leave for the US. Do you know if this is possible?
Probably: I'd contact VW HQ in the UK: they may be able to get the ball rolling or contact a VW dealership close to where you'll be and explain your situation. It's more likely that you'll have to wait until you get here so that you'll have a US drivers license. Note the buying process, if you are prepared, takes a few hours. You then wait for them to sort out the finance bit (a few days), then pick up your car and job done. I rented for the first couple of months as it suited my needs and gave me time to get the license and a longer term address.

ps Don't forget if you have an AmEx card to sort out a global transfer!
Old May 11th 2012, 12:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thinkvwsavings.com/foreignbusiness.html
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Ed_LA is an unknown quantity at this point

All really useful stuff. Heading to VW Santa Monica this afternoon to get the ball rolling.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I have just signed up to this program (well, last week I did) and it was very simple and straightforward. Only needed the docs as specified on the programs web page and was able to do some decent negotiation on the down payment and the retail price of the car. Will pick up my new GTi tomorrow
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any one know of other manufactures offering similar schemes? The rates through AutoSource seem too high so looking for alternatives.

Now I am tempted by a GTI for the second car ;-)

Steve
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Allegedly Ford do, but only to L1 holders I have been led to believe.

Didn't get my GTi yesterday as I need a PA State ID card which I can't get until tomorrow! Grrrr! This is not mentioned in the VW Program details.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually now got my GTi, after problems getting state photo ID - seems like applications are often referred to Homeland Security for verification. Luckily my wife is a USC so was able to add her to the agreement and not have to wait another 30 days!!!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

edhenderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, just getting up to speed on this old(er) thread. Did you guys approach the dealership direct or go to VW centrally. I can't seem to find a central place to apply? E.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point

You can just go directly to a dealer
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

yogi16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne,

Would love to PM you but as a newbie I can't use PM yet.

Had often wondered how close to the $179 pcm advertised for general population were.

Also, do these deals start to build a US credit report?

I had wondered about getting a credit history, I have years of flawless credit history in UK which means I have never been turned down. Is this a chicken and egg?

Does anyone know if any of the US manufacturers (Chevy or Ford) do similar?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Alrescha is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting topic. Before I established a credit score it was almost impossible to get any sort of finance.

I did eventually get same day approval from Kia but at 22% interested. It was worth it at the time because it meant I A) Got out of a $600 GMC with doors that didn't close and no seat working seat belts lol and B) It meant I could start to establish credit.

A year later i got a new card at 6.9%.

I didn't try VW sounds like I should have. I can say none of the US brands would touch me and Kia was a god send at the time, their service and the car itself was also awesome. I swear I filled my Kia Forta up once a month and my girlfirend fills her Honda Civic once a week and we drive the same distance everyday!!

Anyway, to the original point my girlfriend just got a Golf and their service was the best i have had here. Not pushy at all and very friendly. Top rated of all the dealers Ive been too.

Something interesting that is a shame is that in the UK the Golf comes in engine sizes from 1.2L to 1.6L but in the US the smallest is the 2.5L 5-cylinder - that is ridiculous and something i just cannot understand...people here drive much slower so who needs a 2.5L ?? Plus it actually uses more gas than my mustang, quite ridiculous indeed, but I'm still proud she drives a intelligent choice of car (Very tough, well built, intelligent design) and if she was in the UK, she would be one cool 'girl racer' I just wish you could buy a 1.4 and stop wasting so much gas!!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alrescha
...Something interesting that is a shame is that in the UK the Golf comes in engine sizes from 1.2L to 1.6L but in the US the smallest is the 2.5L 5-cylinder - that is ridiculous and something i just cannot understand...people here drive much slower so who needs a 2.5L ?? Plus it actually uses more gas than my mustang, quite ridiculous indeed, but I'm still proud she drives a intelligent choice of car (Very tough, well built, intelligent design) and if she was in the UK, she would be one cool 'girl racer' I just wish you could buy a 1.4 and stop wasting so much gas!!
Yes fair point but don't forget that the petrol has significantly lower octane value over there - which means you need a bigger engine to get the same power - and their gallons are smaller which means that the quoted MPG doesn't mean what it would mean in the uk...
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

SoftwareBloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been lurking for a long time but decided to sign up just for this thread. I had a very good experience with this program and was able to trade in my $2000 shed for a nice brand new GTI on a three year lease.

After going around other places and being told since I had no credit I would be looking at 14%+ rates at least I was glad a stumbled on this thread. Now to go through that initial 1000 mile breaking in period before I can enjoy the car fully!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention as VW do not really advertise it that well.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrlion
Yes fair point but don't forget that the petrol has significantly lower octane value over there - which means you need a bigger engine to get the same power - and their gallons are smaller which means that the quoted MPG doesn't mean what it would mean in the uk...
The gallons are smaller, yes (3.78 litres rather than 4.546, roughly), as for the octane levels - UK uses RON, USA uses AKI, so different numbers mean slightly different things. Apparently, a rule of thumb is RON x 0.95 = AKI, so 98RON from the UK would be about 93 in the US, 95RON is around 91 US. It's just different measuring standards.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rallybug
The gallons are smaller, yes (3.78 litres rather than 4.546, roughly), as for the octane levels - UK uses RON, USA uses AKI, so different numbers mean slightly different things. Apparently, a rule of thumb is RON x 0.95 = AKI, so 98RON from the UK would be about 93 in the US, 95RON is around 91 US. It's just different measuring standards.
AHA! Thanks...i had no idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.