Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com

My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com

Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:04 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
The bacon was actually shipped from Ireland to Denmark to be packed because of USDA regulations. Considering the long route to my breakfast plate I couldn't complain about the price. The whole experiment was more of a treat than a regular shopping arrangement.

I was talking a friend back in England about my 'bacon butties' and he couldn't understand how it could be such a big deal to have real bacon instead of the 'streaky' bacon we get here. I myself had forgotten about that wonderful smell 'English' bacon makes when sizzling in the pan, the sensation of biting in to a fresh bread roll with hot bacon inside, warm butter soaked in to the bread . . .

. . .m aybe it will be a regular order after all
Bah you have me drooling at work Americans don't think bacon is cooked unless it shatters under the fork.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

The bacon was actually shipped from Ireland to Denmark to be packed because of USDA regulations. Considering the long route to my breakfast plate I couldn't complain about the price. The whole experiment was more of a treat than a regular shopping arrangement.

I was talking a friend back in England about my 'bacon butties' and he couldn't understand how it could be such a big deal to have real bacon instead of the 'streaky' bacon we get here. I myself had forgotten about that wonderful smell 'English' bacon makes when sizzling in the pan, the sensation of biting in to a fresh bread roll with hot bacon inside, warm butter soaked in to the bread . . .

frying bacon - One of the most evocative of all smells...especially when its being cooked on one of those silly little camping gas stoves on the dewsoaked grass of a campsite.

As for your mate, I reckon its one of those "don't know what you've got till its gone" sort of things (but like the NHS then!) - spend a bit of time over here and he'd soon catch on! I don't actually remember eating much bacon before I left - I probably did, but didn't think too much about it. But now when we go back to see my mum she always makes sure she has a couple of pounds in the fridge, as well as good bit of black pudding!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Bah you have me drooling at work Americans don't think bacon is cooked unless it shatters under the fork.
Well when your desperate enough do as I do, just buy a pack of there streaky and cut all the fat off, nearly a whole pack will make one Sandwich, but needs must
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:15 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well when your desperate enough do as I do, just buy a pack of there streaky and cut all the fat off, nearly a whole pack will make one Sandwich, but needs must
Yes, done that too, but it isn't the same, it does at a pinch though.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

omg i'd kill for a real bacon buttie...after reading this thread i'm craving one infact think i can smell it sizzling away
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:19 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhh, how could you. You just stirred up memories of black pudding. My bacon butties taste bland in comparison. What would I give for a black pudding. Mmmm and a steak and kidney pie, or a plate of liver and onions. Damn you USDA . . .

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
as well as good bit of black pudding!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:25 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

How much did you order? The site says that the bacon is now out of stock. Greedy bugger.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:26 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh, how could you. You just stirred up memories of black pudding. My bacon butties taste bland in comparison. What would I give for a black pudding. Mmmm and a steak and kidney pie, or a plate of liver and onions. Damn you USDA . . .
Not sure if you have one near you but the Picadilly cafeteria have liver and onions.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:48 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you have one near you but the Picadilly cafeteria have liver and onions.
Yes but it is probably calves liver, not lambs. The onions however will be the same.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, one item in my order was 'Pickled Onion Monster Munch'.
Just plain processed junk, but so devilishly good, mmm
Oooooh you taunted me with pickled onion monster munch on another thread
Glad to see you got some! they alway stick to your teeth and gums and you enjoy them twice
sorry.........bit nasty but true!
But the question is.....did you get any skips
Prawn cocktail of course!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg i'd kill for a real bacon buttie...after reading this thread i'm craving one infact think i can smell it sizzling away
Check out www.britishbacon.com it may ease your craving............. they have the real thing!
They are going to have to put me on commission soon
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

And eat it like a crisp with maple syrup..............
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:54 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.foodireland.com/ is an awesome site if anyones craving a full english/irish breakfast
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate it got me going too - enough to force me to try (again!) to reproduce English fish and chips for dinner. Miserable failure............