British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/my-experience-buying-uk-products-ukgoods-com-387016/)

Pony Jul 26th 2006 7:05 pm

My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com

Many of you have been asking for recommendations or experiences with suppliers of UK produce here in the US. So I decided to order some 'UK' food from ukgoods.com web site, here is my experience for all those interested. I order various items late central time on 07/18/2006, the company is based is Delaware on the East coast so my order was processed the next day on 07/19/2006. I selected USPS Priority Mail as the method of delivery. I received a call to say the total weight exceeded the limit for Prioirty Mail and they would ship the perishables Priority mail and the remainder by UPS ground. Informing me it would save about $10 shipping, I didn't get a refund on this shipping amount though. I asked for the perishables to go to my home address, as the timescale meant a Friday/Saturday delivery. The office is closed here Saturday. The same day I received 2 emails detailing each delivery, one by UPS and one by USPS. I didn't check the details closely (or would have noticed they had sent both packages to my work). The next day I received a phone call saying they had made a mistake and both orders were going to work, a new member of staff had messed up the delivery details! A morning sat in the office on Saturday to get my goods resolved this little hick-up.

The perishables arrived well packed, using an ice pack I had to purchase as part of the order. All goods were still cold, even after spending 3 days crossing the US. The following Tuesday the rest of my order arrived, again well packed and all as should be. One exception was the description details of one item - 32 * 50g packs of crisps, but 48 * 37.5g arrived - not a big deal really.
I sent several emails regarding the first delivery, first on the Friday saying they had not arrived yet and I would have to go to the office on the Saturday and sit and wait for them. I sent another email on Saturday saying I had the goods. I didn't get a response to either email!

So in summary, a cock-up in delivery which I resolved with an unpaid morning at work. No response to emails. Goods are well packed. Some descriptions vary, but the overall quantity is the same.

The web site was easy to navigate, but not particularly well laid out, and the descriptions are limited.

Would I use them again? Well, maybe. I wasn't blown away with the experience, it was average to say the least. I wouldn't not use them again, but I think I'll give another company a chance for my next order. Ordering in quantity meant the total value was $178.55, for which I expect a certain level of service.

I sent a copy of this post to ukgoods and will follow up if they respond in any way

http://www.ukgoods.com/images/ukgood...with-phone.gif

TruBrit Jul 26th 2006 7:19 pm

Re: My experience buying UK products from UKGOODS.com

so it's all over to your place for a good brit scoffing :D

Pony Jul 26th 2006 7:24 pm

I've been eating 'real bacon butties' since the order arrived, LOL. Not many packs left, and certainly none to share, bah humbug. The crisps arrived at work, and all my colleagues grabbed bags no sooner had I opened the box. Handing out bags of crisps to everyone I felt like a proud dad handing cigars out . . .

Originally Posted by TruBrit
so it's all over to your place for a good brit scoffing :D

CarlM Jul 26th 2006 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Many of you have been asking for recommendations or experiences with suppliers of UK produce here in the US. So I decided to order some 'UK' food from ukgoods.com web site, here is my experience for all those interested. I order various items late central time on 07/18/2006, the company is based is Delaware on the East coast so my order was processed the next day on 07/19/2006. I selected USPS Priority Mail as the method of delivery. I received a call to say the total weight exceeded the limit for Prioirty Mail and they would ship the perishables Priority mail and the remainder by UPS ground. Informing me it would save about $10 shipping, I didn't get a refund on this shipping amount though. I asked for the perishables to go to my home address, as the timescale meant a Friday/Saturday delivery. The office is closed here Saturday. The same day I received 2 emails detailing each delivery, one by UPS and one by USPS. I didn't check the details closely (or would have noticed they had sent both packages to my work). The next day I received a phone call saying they had made a mistake and both orders were going to work, a new member of staff had messed up the delivery details! A morning sat in the office on Saturday to get my goods resolved this little hick-up.

The perishables arrived well packed, using an ice pack I had to purchase as part of the order. All goods were still cold, even after spending 3 days crossing the US. The following Tuesday the rest of my order arrived, again well packed and all as should be. One exception was the description details of one item - 32 * 50g packs of crisps, but 48 * 37.5g arrived - not a big deal really.
I sent several emails regarding the first delivery, first on the Friday saying they had not arrived yet and I would have to go to the office on the Saturday and sit and wait for them. I sent another email on Saturday saying I had the goods. I didn't get a response to either email!

So in summary, a cock-up in delivery which I resolved with an unpaid morning at work. No response to emails. Goods are well packed. Some descriptions vary, but the overall quantity is the same.

The web site was easy to navigate, but not particularly well laid out, and the descriptions are limited.

Would I use them again? Well, maybe. I wasn't blown away with the experience, it was average to say the least. I wouldn't not use them again, but I think I'll give another company a chance for my next order. Ordering in quantity meant the total value was $178.55, for which I expect a certain level of service.

I sent a copy of this post to ukgoods and will follow up if they respond in any way

http://www.ukgoods.com/images/ukgood...with-phone.gif

..stop moaning, you got 200g extra of crisps!! :D

Pony Jul 26th 2006 7:31 pm

Thats true, but have you tried to explain to an American colleague that a 37.5g bag is a full packet?
"hey, these bite size packets are real cute" LOL

Originally Posted by CarlM

Pony Jul 26th 2006 7:35 pm

OOOPS, packets are actually 34.5g, so I only got 56g extra.
I had forgotten just how small they look compared to US packs of potato chips...

Originally Posted by CarlM

Kate2112 Jul 26th 2006 7:40 pm

OOOPS, packets are actually 34.5g, so I only got 56g extra.
I had forgotten just how small they look compared to US packs of potato chips...

mmmm worcester sauce crisps ...weird flavour , bloody marvellous :)

Pony Jul 26th 2006 7:43 pm

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, one item in my order was 'Pickled Onion Monster Munch'.
Just plain processed junk, but so devilishly good, mmm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
mmmm worcester sauce crisps ...weird flavour , bloody marvellous :)

Chorlton Jul 26th 2006 7:45 pm

Thats true, but have you tried to explain to an American colleague that a 37.5g bag is a full packet?
"hey, these bite size packets are real cute" LOL

Thanks for the review. I've looked around and some sites are pretty tempting, but I use a can of beans as my yard stick for cost. Since I've found them for $1.09 in town, its been tough for me to consider getting stuff online. I wonder if you could import stuff yourself at a reasonable rate? :confused:

Kate2112 Jul 26th 2006 7:45 pm

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, one item in my order was 'Pickled Onion Monster Munch'.

Do not be embarrassed I would kill for a packet right now :D

Chorlton Jul 26th 2006 7:48 pm

mmmm, all three were good!

britvic Jul 26th 2006 8:03 pm

Handing out bags of crisps to everyone I felt like a proud dad handing cigars out . . .

LOL did they like the flavors :) I had to go to our Brit shop to get OH some crisps, 20 bags, for his Goodie box. Who's a lucky Sailor Boy :D

Yorkieabroad Jul 26th 2006 8:40 pm

he he he - did you get the ones that make your tongue go blue?

Yorkieabroad Jul 26th 2006 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I wonder if you could import stuff yourself at a reasonable rate? :confused:

I started looking into that a while ago, and got totally bogged down in a website explaining how and who was allowed to import, and the hoops you have to jump thru.....I think I found the site from a previous thread on here talking about goods that were prohibited from being imported due to various reasons....content, not FDA approved, wrong packaging etc...looked like a bit of a minefiled that could easily erode margins, which maybe explains the prices dreamt up by some of the importers

Pony Jul 26th 2006 8:55 pm

The bacon was actually shipped from Ireland to Denmark to be packed because of USDA regulations. Considering the long route to my breakfast plate I couldn't complain about the price. The whole experiment was more of a treat than a regular shopping arrangement.

I was talking a friend back in England about my 'bacon butties' and he couldn't understand how it could be such a big deal to have real bacon instead of the 'streaky' bacon we get here. I myself had forgotten about that wonderful smell 'English' bacon makes when sizzling in the pan, the sensation of biting in to a fresh bread roll with hot bacon inside, warm butter soaked in to the bread . . .

. . .m aybe it will be a regular order after all

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I started looking into that a while ago, and got totally bogged down in a website explaining how and who was allowed to import, and the hoops you have to jump thru.....I think I found the site from a previous thread on here talking about goods that were prohibited from being imported due to various reasons....content, not FDA approved, wrong packaging etc...looked like a bit of a minefiled that could easily erode margins, which maybe explains the prices dreamt up by some of the importers