Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My company has decided I'm a keeper...

My company has decided I'm a keeper...

Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default My company has decided I'm a keeper...

We've been here for a little over a year on an L1-A and I have just heard from my boss this morning that the company wants to sponsor me for a Green Card!!

That's really great news for us as I didn't really expect them to pick up the tab for the whole thing too.

We're in Texas, so does anyone know what sort of timeframe we're looking at? Also, am I right in saying that once you've applied you can't leave the country? If so, we can't start the process until end of June because we're going back to Blighty for a vacation.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My company has decided I'm a keeper...

Originally Posted by paul_TX
We've been here for a little over a year on an L1-A and I have just heard from my boss this morning that the company wants to sponsor me for a Green Card!!

That's really great news for us as I didn't really expect them to pick up the tab for the whole thing too.

We're in Texas, so does anyone know what sort of timeframe we're looking at? Also, am I right in saying that once you've applied you can't leave the country? If so, we can't start the process until end of June because we're going back to Blighty for a vacation.

Thanks,
Paul
AFAIK L1/L2 do not need Advance Parole so you should be good to go.

Check www.uscis.gov for more info!

And congrats and all that!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Paul
Congrats mate
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul
hey great news...makes life somewhat easier
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, looks like someone who holds an L-1 visa *that is valid through the re-entry date to the US* doesn't need AP, even if they are adjusting status/applying for permanent residency.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...d-parole-.html

Of course, if your company is sponsoring you for a green card, I hope that you can also get some legal advice from their counsel.

Good luck and congratulations!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Great news. Yup regarding L1-A's and traveling, but I'd still ask the company shark.

Texas has been pretty quick lately. Six months or so would be my guess (as opposed to 3 to 5 years for the same in the bad old days )
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Texas has been pretty quick lately. Six months or so would be my guess (as opposed to 3 to 5 years for the same in the bad old days )
Only in immigration does six months = quick!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Paul
We had to apply for advanced parole when we wanted to go back to the UK for a family emergency but that was over 8 yrs ago. Other posters have said that this has now changed. Englishmum started a thread about this very subject a couple of weeks ago, do a search some of the info may be of use to you.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,
Paul
shit dont tell Elvira she might think your on the gravy train

well done mate BTW we where told you do need AP by our lawyer once you have applied for AOS on an L1a - in fact they are making us re-apply as our eldest is going back to the UK and does not have her GC yet. Our GC took 3 months end to end
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:59 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Paul

YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!! Congrats to you.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
well done mate BTW we where told you do need AP by our lawyer once you have applied for AOS on an L1a - in fact they are making us re-apply as our eldest is going back to the UK and does not have her GC yet. Our GC took 3 months end to end
If your still working at the place that sponsored the L1A/B...then you don't need AP, same for spouse...and using AP to be paroled in is different to being admitted...not that it's a big thing for most people, but the distinction can get murky if anything were to get interesting with the AOS.

Anyway, congrats to Paul
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
If your still working at the place that sponsored the L1A/B...then you don't need AP, same for spouse...and using AP to be paroled in is different to being admitted...not that it's a big thing for most people, but the distinction can get murky if anything were to get interesting with the AOS.

Anyway, congrats to Paul
Thanks to everyone for your responses and congrats!
I'll be talking with the immigration attorney later this week so will make sure all the i's are dotted etc etc.

Only down side is, it's the same immigration attorney who got me here in the first place (eventually) after me telling her which visa to apply for and she still went ahead and applied for the wrong one first! You pay your money and take your choice I guess, but in this case the company is paying the money so I have no choice
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your responses and congrats!
I'll be talking with the immigration attorney later this week so will make sure all the i's are dotted etc etc.

Only down side is, it's the same immigration attorney who got me here in the first place (eventually) after me telling her which visa to apply for and she still went ahead and applied for the wrong one first! You pay your money and take your choice I guess, but in this case the company is paying the money so I have no choice
Can't you have a word with your company, or is the attorney a member of the same country club as your md ???
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:41 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
shit dont tell Elvira she might think your on the gravy train

Oh bugger......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.