Reload this Page >

My Brain is going to explode...

My Brain is going to explode...

Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:51 am
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Brain is going to explode...

Hi all...

My wife and I are still in the research process before we do DCF next year and emigrate to San Francisco (can't go earlier, I'm a wedding photographer and have work booked till August '05)....the process of DCF doesn't scare me much, from what I've managed to gather from this and other forums it seems pretty straight forward for a couple in our situation....what scares the living crap out of me is the actual move...

My wife has no family in the US, and she probably has no credit history since she last lived there in '94 and never had a CC card etc....I won't be moving to a job - I'll be leaving my present employment of over 12 years!!!...she will hopefully carry on working for her present company which is travel based anyway, and mostly working in the US...we will be arriving in San Francisco with nowhere to live, tons of suitcases full of crap, and our cat!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

Still.....lifes a game huh?

Our current plan (changes every day) is to put the cat in a boarding cattery (found one right in downtown SF) while we look for temp accom that will allow a cat....

Anyone arrived in the US with similar circumstances and not had a heart attack?!!!!

Mike
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Brain is going to explode...

Originally Posted by sohosid
Hi all...

My wife and I are still in the research process before we do DCF next year and emigrate to San Francisco (can't go earlier, I'm a wedding photographer and have work booked till August '05)....the process of DCF doesn't scare me much, from what I've managed to gather from this and other forums it seems pretty straight forward for a couple in our situation....what scares the living crap out of me is the actual move...

My wife has no family in the US, and she probably has no credit history since she last lived there in '94 and never had a CC card etc....I won't be moving to a job - I'll be leaving my present employment of over 12 years!!!...she will hopefully carry on working for her present company which is travel based anyway, and mostly working in the US...we will be arriving in San Francisco with nowhere to live, tons of suitcases full of crap, and our cat!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

Still.....lifes a game huh?

Our current plan (changes every day) is to put the cat in a boarding cattery (found one right in downtown SF) while we look for temp accom that will allow a cat....

Anyone arrived in the US with similar circumstances and not had a heart attack?!!!!

Mike
Dunno about the rest, but there are plenty of all Brit families who have come over here with zero credit history, my family included. There are loads of ways of getting your history started, loads of tips in this forum. It's a pain at first, but not insurmountable.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:01 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Dunno about the rest, but there are plenty of all Brit families who have come over here with zero credit history, my family included. There are loads of ways of getting your history started, loads of tips in this forum. It's a pain at first, but not insurmountable.
We are about 8 weeks away from the big move and getting there will be the biggest relief ever. No credit history means being more sensible with money, not a bad thing in a new country. I just found the whole immigration thing a total drain and I cant recall ever being so stressed as I have been in the last 4 months or realised I owned so much crap!!!!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:30 pm
Visa in hand!!!

Originally Posted by elf
...... or realised I owned so much crap!!!!!!!
ha! Whenever I've moved in the past, I've used it as a good way of de-crapping.....this time round it's going to be a huge de-crap! I've already started making lists of stuff to keep / sell / chuck!!!

Good luck with your move

Mike.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sohosid

Mike
Plenty o' options!
try www.craigslist.org for much advance housing planning etc. Nice 'like-minded" community there.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:48 pm
Visa in hand!!!

Originally Posted by meauxna
Plenty o' options!
try www.craigslist.org for much advance housing planning etc. Nice 'like-minded" community there.
Cheers! Actually already spent quite a while poking around Craigstlist, and already had some good response too...in fact have already had contact with an apartment building manager who is willing to show us around the complex and chat to us about options when we do our visit in February!

Cheers

Mike