Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My 2 pence (or cents) worth

My 2 pence (or cents) worth

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 2 pence (or cents) worth

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What do you think about the UK having 24 hour pubs AND eliminating the "all you can drink" happy "hours" that encourage binge drinking? If you pay by the drink, and there's no chucking out time, the theory is that there is then no huge chucking out riot. (The first is proposed legislation; I think the second has passed.)
24 hour pubs... no.
Staggered closing times... yes.
Happy hours... have no opinion really. I don't think they encourage binge drinking (at least, it never encouraged me).

Besides, you're Queen Amy today. What you say goes.

NB. This is a 24 hours only honour. By this time tomorrow, I will be Queen again and reserve the right to get rid of any new laws I don't agree with
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
24 hour pubs... no.
Staggered closing times... yes.
Happy hours... have no opinion really. I don't think they encourage binge drinking (at least, it never encouraged me).

Besides, you're Queen Amy today. What you say goes.

NB. This is a 24 hours only honour. By this time tomorrow, I will be Queen again and reserve the right to get rid of any new laws I don't agree with
Damn!

I want asylum for myself and my daughters. That's it, shut the door and lock it after us.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:17 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Anyway, where TF do you keep coming from? Have you got an alert every time your name is mentioned or summat?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:18 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Anyway, where TF do you keep coming from? Have you got an alert every time your name is mentioned or summat?
He's stalking your hot ass
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Damn!

I want asylum for myself and my daughters. That's it, shut the door and lock it after us.
With you on the inside looking out, or the outside looking in?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

With you on the inside looking out, or the outside looking in?
Me on the inside looking out of course!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:54 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Me on the inside looking out of course!!!!
I was thinking more along the lines of escaping the asylum...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:54 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth
LeedsGirl, nice to talk with you - I'm exactly the same.

From Liverpool and now find myself in Houston, TX. Liking it here for the most part, but there truly is no place like home.

I would kill for a slice of black pudding.

I could mail you some black pudding from my Brit shop, not sure how it would taste though :scared:
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:10 pm
Lapine Member

I was thinking more along the lines of escaping the asylum...
Oh, I'm a PR of the BE loony bin
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

He's porking your hot ass
eh ???? :scared:
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
he said something about telling his mates and how they would all be rushing over to the UK knowing that they could have sex with children legally! lol
Um, I don't think I'd want to meet your husband's mates.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:07 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Um, I don't think I'd want to meet your husband's mates.
Me neither, but the reaction isn't uncommon.

Before I knew the UK age of consent, my ex-fiance, who was by then my EX-fiance, decided to unburden himself of the fact that while he was married, with a 2-yo son, and on duty in the RAF, he'd shagged a *15-year-old* foreign national.

Being brought up and used to US norms, I just froze. The phrase "ice in my veins" was just about true. Took me months to get past that one.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dant3
Arghhhhhhh!!!!! How many more times?

Respect for another culture can, and should, be taken only so far. Some things are just plain wrong, in any culture, and excusing them out of some deluded sense of cultural acceptance is ridiculous. It’s wrong for children to be obese. It’s wrong for meat to be pumped full of chemicals. It’s wrong for 16 year olds to think a new car is a birth right. It’s wrong that CEO’s ‘lose’ their employees pensions. It’s wrong that the streets are littered with homeless war veterans while military spending reaches an all-time high. It’s wrong for a retarded gibbon to hold the office of president. It’s wrong that small children should be shot to death because they live in the wrong neighbourhood. It’s wrong that police corruption and brutality goes unpunished….

Some things are just wrong. We point them out in the United States because this is where we live. Sweeping problems under the carpet because it’s impolite to criticize the host does nobody any favors.

I agree completely with your views - they are mine too, but I could not have expressed them nearly as well as you !

The OP has a point - we do bitch about minor stuff such as quality of goods, use of cutlery, general standard of manners. Perhaps we ought to be more tolerant of these kinds of things, and I'm sure most of us are "in real life", when interacting with Americans. We need some kind of outlet for our frustrations and fears, though -and this forum is it!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:30 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ok heres my 2 <currency of choice> worth:

Theres a lot of bitching on here recently about US styles of doing things - and dont get me wrong I'll bitch with the best - but something I've noticed in my own personal world here is that we forget we are foreigners in a foreign country because we do speak the same language and we do have so much culturally in common. Also I've found that Americans also forget I am a foreigner here for the same reasons. And because of this it really does come as quite a shock when it turns out that thngs are done differently here to back in Blighty. Anyway that was my 2 pence or cents (or maybe its 3.6 cents due to the exchange rate?).. Back to the bitching.
You will only lose my respect if you see the light
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:44 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
eh ???? :scared:
Ah! The light dawns!

He first responded on this thread to a post containing both his name and the word "arse".

His next response was to a post containing the word "ass" but no mention of his name.

I therefore conclude, in light of the scientific evidence, that Eskimo does, in fact, search the forum on a regular basis for the words:
"ass", "arse", "butt", "bottie", "bum", "derriere", "hershey highway", "hiney", "tushy", "poop chute", "rear end" and "crap factory".
I rest my case, m'lud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.