Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Must you update your address on CA license?

Must you update your address on CA license?

Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Must you update your address on CA license?

Hey all,

Moved back in May of last year and have only just thought about my driving license not having my new and probably permanent US address on it. Just having a look at the DMV online, it doesn't mention that you have to change it, but it does specify that if you do change it online you cannot do a license renewal online.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/coa/coafaqs.htm

"Internet driver license renewal: If you change your address using the internet change of address process, you cannot use the internet driver license renewal process."
Does that mean it'll be a pain in the arse to renew my license or do I just have to go in (and that can be a pain in the arse!)

Can I just change my address when I renew my license or will I get in trouble for not having the correct address on my license?

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must you update your address on CA license?

Don't you just slap a post it on the license with the new address rather than them sending you a replacement license? That's what you do in MA though.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't you just slap a post it on the license with the new address rather than them sending you a replacement license? That's what you do in MA though.
From what I understand they don't send out a replacement license with the new address just update it on their system.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
Hey all,

Moved back in May of last year and have only just thought about my driving license not having my new and probably permanent US address on it. Just having a look at the DMV online, it doesn't mention that you have to change it, but it does specify that if you do change it online you cannot do a license renewal online.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/coa/coafaqs.htm

"Internet driver license renewal: If you change your address using the internet change of address process, you cannot use the internet driver license renewal process."
Does that mean it'll be a pain in the arse to renew my license or do I just have to go in (and that can be a pain in the arse!)

Can I just change my address when I renew my license or will I get in trouble for not having the correct address on my license?

Thanks
You are supposed to change your address when you move. I believe that the DMV will send you a form to fill out when your license needs renewal and you have a clean driving record since the previous renewal. If I remember correctly, if you don't have a clean driving record, you have to renew at the DMV.

It might be that they want your signature if you move to verify that you are who you claim you are after you move before issuing a new license.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 22nd 2014 at 12:23 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's going to be a pain in the arse because we recently moved and updated our address online!

I know I have had a renewal after a previous move, but I can't remember how I notified them of the change of address. I'm pretty sure I didn't go into an office to do it. The new license has always just arrived at my house before, with no work from me. I was hoping that would happen again as mine is due for renewal this summer.

eta: just looked at dmv.ca.gov and the renew by mail process is still an option, you don't have to go into the DMV office to renew

Last edited by Jscl; Jan 22nd 2014 at 6:22 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
... and, if you don't update your address (by going down to the DMV in person) you also won't be able to renew your licence online (because, if you did, it would get sent to your old address).

So, sooner or later you will have to go to the DMV, which will be a pain ...
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by md95065
... and, if you don't update your address (by going down to the DMV in person) you also won't be able to renew your licence online (because, if you did, it would get sent to your old address).

So, sooner or later you will have to go to the DMV, which will be a pain ...
Good point. I guess I'll just get on with it then.

Thanks everyone for helpful comments.