Reload this Page >

Music Graduate (Musician/Teacher) Wanting To Move USA

Music Graduate (Musician/Teacher) Wanting To Move USA

Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

_BassPlayer_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Music Graduate (Musician/Teacher) Wanting To Move USA

Hi guys,

Just joined this forum after seeing the amount of help that's been given out !

I have a few questions that I need to get of my chest.

I want to move to the US after I graduate and that's around a year to that. I've saved around 2 grand and I know thats not enough but Im still saving up. The questions I have are listed here:

What is the main procedure that everyone goes by when moving abroad. E.G. Passports/Visa you know the lot.

Whats the property value over there ? What I am looking for is an apartment untill I get a proper job that I know is stable and can provide for myself.

Jobs, how much of them are there in the US. I know there are quite a bit for musicians like myself but hows the job market overall ?

If you don't have family over there how hard is it to move ? I've seen that most of the guys here have family over there so I was just wondering is it any harder ?

Also, might sound stupid, how would you be able to take all your belongings onboard if theres a luggage limit ?

These are the questions I can think of at the momment but throughout the day Im sure that more will pop into my head

Any information given is appreciated

Cheers
ML

Last edited by _BassPlayer_; Aug 1st 2012 at 12:39 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Music Graduate (Musician/Teacher) Wanting To Move USA

Hello and welcome to BE.

Basically it is very difficult to move to the US unless you are an American or married to an American. You cannot just move here and look for work...you need a visa to live in the US. Read through this...if you fit into one of the categories you may be able to get a visa.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:54 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BassPlayer,

All details about luggage and property and so on are really beside the point unless you have a clear chance for a visa. Did you read this?

x Pulaski link snipped because I see Jerseygirl was first! x

You might also want to scroll down and check out threads with titles like 'UK graduate wants to move to US' and similar.

In short: it is often very difficult to get a visa for the US, and at this point none of the available categories may suit you. Just traveling in the US (for a maximum of 90 days), without working -- and as a musician you have to be clued up about what constitutes work -- may be a better fit.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _BassPlayer_
What is the main procedure that everyone goes by when moving abroad. E.G. Passports/Visa you know the lot.
There's no "main" procedure. There are several different ways into the USA, which Jerseygirl posted the link to. I suppose in a general sense, the main procedure is to obtain the correct visa and then move to the USA...and that can be in the area of work, marriage to USC, student, or investment.

Whats the property value over there ? What I am looking for is an apartment untill I get a proper job that I know is stable and can provide for myself.
The USA is so huge that you can't ask this question in general. Property value depends on the state, the city within that state, and the location with that city.

Jobs, how much of them are there in the US. I know there are quite a bit for musicians like myself but hows the job market overall ?
Overall, terrible. But the overall scenario doesn't apply to you anyway, as you'll be moving on a specific visa for your specific job. Let's say you find an employer to sponsor your H1B visa. You are tied to that employer and that job for the duration of your stay in the USA. You can't work for any other employer. So the overall market really doesn't matter...what matters is your specific niche.

If you don't have family over there how hard is it to move ?
It can be difficult, but not impossible. For a recent graduate in the UK, it should be a long-term plan which you work towards, rather than something that will happen right after graduation.

I've seen that most of the guys here have family over there so I was just wondering is it any harder ?
If you don't have family in the USA who can sponsor you (parents, children, sibling, fiance, or spouse), then it will be harder, yes.

Also, might sound stupid, how would you be able to take all your belongings onboard if theres a luggage limit ?
You send them through a shipping company.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Hi guys,

What makes you think there are a lot of jobs out there for musicians? Believe me, that is far from the case! My husband is a professional musician/teacher with over a decade of experience and he struggles to find gigs and everyone he knows in the music world is also struggling - and we live in an urban area that is supposedly known for its arts and music scene. Sure, there are opportunities for unpaid work (everyone wants something for nothing), but for steady, meaningful employment, the opportunities are few and far between. The recession has really hit musicians - like everyone else - hard.

Add to this limited pool of work the fact that you'd need someone to sponsor you for a visa - and the fact that you aren't even out of school yet and as such presumably have little experience or acclaim and I'm sorry to say that your chances of moving to the US are pretty much zero.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I want to move to the US after I graduate and that's around a year to that.
Respectfully, what you want is irrelevant... unless you are eligible for a visa. Currently, you are not eligible... and no amount of preplanning and fact finding is going to alter that situation. You've been given the link to the available means of getting to the US... if there is no visa that fits your situation, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor!

Sorry to sound so harsh, but this is the reality of the current situation in the US.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though you're getting way ahead of yourself, unless you're a US citizen.

Look at studying further in the US, doing a uni exchange or becoming world class are your best options...

Anything that isn't visa related at this point is a waste of energy.