British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Music CD's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/music-cds-392299/)

nai_in_av Aug 23rd 2006 2:30 pm

Music CD's

Anyone got any recommendations on where to buy CD's online from? Back in the UK I used to use cdwow.com and play.com, but can't find anything similar here.

Most sites that offer a decent price are the club type thing, Amazon sometimes have good prices but shipping is crappy, Cdwow ship to the US, but cost's more etc etc.

I don't want to download the file and burn my own CD, I prefer having the CD and all the stuff that goes with it (whole album, Cd cover etc).

Thanks.

Kate2112 Aug 23rd 2006 3:23 pm

Re: Music CD's

Half.com part of Ebay

pompeylad Aug 23rd 2006 3:25 pm

http://www4.cd-wow.us/

Big D Aug 23rd 2006 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Anyone got any recommendations on where to buy CD's online from? Back in the UK I used to use cdwow.com and play.com, but can't find anything similar here.

Most sites that offer a decent price are the club type thing, Amazon sometimes have good prices but shipping is crappy, Cdwow ship to the US, but cost's more etc etc.

I don't want to download the file and burn my own CD, I prefer having the CD and all the stuff that goes with it (whole album, Cd cover etc).

Thanks.

yourmusic.com - you pay $5.99 a month and they send you the CD top of your list - free P+P - plus you can buy as many as you want whenever - you can cancel any time without issue - they are a little slow at getting the new releases but superb price!

nai_in_av Aug 23rd 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks all, just ordered a few CD's from half.com

:)

Tolos Aug 23rd 2006 4:38 pm

I've personally never had a shipping problem with Amazon, I order tons of stuff from then and they've never let me down.

The USA is certainly missing a dedicated HMV-style music store though. The cloest I can find here in Houston is Best Buy. And even that is pretty useless if you are looking for something remotely "un-mainstream".

Bob Aug 23rd 2006 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tolos

The USA is certainly missing a dedicated HMV-style music store though. The cloest I can find here in Houston is Best Buy. And even that is pretty useless if you are looking for something remotely "un-mainstream".

HMV are randomly dotted around the US, not as good, same layout, but not the many big deals, same with Virgin Mega Stores.

Fye ain't to bad, usually random shite, but the second hand stuff you can find some nice gems now and again...

Tolos Aug 23rd 2006 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
HMV are randomly dotted around the US, not as good, same layout, but not the many big deals, same with Virgin Mega Stores.

Fye ain't to bad, usually random shite, but the second hand stuff you can find some nice gems now and again...

Yeah FYE is good, but like BestBuy - it's pretty tough to get anything that's slightly older. I read something about this being due to warehousing and storage costs, which I suppose makes sense.

rincewind Aug 23rd 2006 4:58 pm

All my music comes from Amazon. I'm currently using their 3 month trial period for free two day shipping. Kind of like it and will probably pay the $79 for the year and then have free 2-day shipping for 12 months. I usually spend well over that amount per year on shipping so it would work out well for me.

If you still have amazon-phobia, try cduniverse.com or other stores that are part of the eBates.com group. That way you'll get money back on purchases.

I personally recommend: cafepress.com/project359

But that's just blatant self promotion :D

Tolos Aug 23rd 2006 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
All my music comes from Amazon. I'm currently using their 3 month trial period for free two day shipping. Kind of like it and will probably pay the $79 for the year and then have free 2-day shipping for 12 months. I usually spend well over that amount per year on shipping so it would work out well for me.

If you still have amazon-phobia, try cduniverse.com or other stores that are part of the eBates.com group. That way you'll get money back on purchases.

OK, you mentioned amazonphobia...would you care to fill me in on why so many people refuse to use this store? I really am clueless about this. As I said earlier, I've used them since 1999 and have found their prices good, their customer service excellent, and their delivery and shipping to be fantastic. There's no other site that I trust as much as Amazon, especialyl when it comes to gifts, etc.

Kate2112 Aug 23rd 2006 5:04 pm

OK, you mentioned amazonphobia...would you care to fill me in on why so many people refuse to use this store? I really am clueless about this. As I said earlier, I've used them since 1999 and have found their prices good, their customer service excellent, and their delivery and shipping to be fantastic. There's no other site that I trust as much as Amazon, especialyl when it comes to gifts, etc.

Amazon rock! but wont use them now as I live in WA and tax is due on any purchases. Still use Amazon UK to send pressies, very reliable and competitive.

rincewind Aug 23rd 2006 5:05 pm

Don't look at me, I've used Amazon ever since I've been online. Wouldn't buy music anywhere else unless they didn't stock something I wanted.....and that's rare :D

OP claims the shipping is bad.....I've found them to be the best at shipping costs.

nai_in_av Aug 23rd 2006 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
OP claims the shipping is bad.....I've found them to be the best at shipping costs.

Ok, I should clear this up a bit. I have used Amazon a bunch, and never had a problem with them. They always have what I want etc etc and I do like using them.

Today I wanted to order 3 CD's, one was a pre-order. Now if the total of my order was over $25 I got free super saver shipping (cool, my order is over $25) but then it turns out that the super saver shipping takes twice as long as regular shipping, so I decided to go with regular shipping, but then because of my pre-ordered CD it said I would have to wait until Sept 23rd (release date of CD) until any of the CD's shipped, despite 2 of them being in stock. If I wanted to get the 2 in stock sooner, I had to select the option of sending all my CD's seperately which doubled my shipping cost.

At that point I got fed up and decided to look elsewhere. I am sure I will use Amazon again, just annoyed me today. From the great free shipping deal (that take's longer than their lowest shipping option, which I am sure is a bit of a con as they probably know most people will see this and select the regular shipping and pay) to having to wait almost a month to get 2 CD's that are in stock because I wanted to pre-order a CD (I did not want to enter a seperate order for the pre-release CD and then pay shipping twice) but having to pay more if I wanted the 2 in stock sooner.............bah, it just got on my nerves today. End of story.

Bob Aug 23rd 2006 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nai_in_av

At that point I got fed up and decided to look elsewhere. I am sure I will use Amazon again, just annoyed me today. From the great free shipping deal (that take's longer than their lowest shipping option, which I am sure is a bit of a con as they probably know most people will see this and select the regular shipping and pay) to having to wait almost a month to get 2 CD's that are in stock because I wanted to pre-order a CD (I did not want to enter a seperate order for the pre-release CD and then pay shipping twice) but having to pay more if I wanted the 2 in stock sooner.............bah, it just got on my nerves today. End of story.

I've used the free shipping, and tbh, it hasn't been slower than the regular shipping for anything in stock, I think they say it'll take longer for just in case it does...but what's an extra day?

rincewind Aug 23rd 2006 5:42 pm

Simple, just pick CDs that are in stock :rolleyes: