Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Murdoch's Doing Some BBC Bashing Again

Murdoch's Doing Some BBC Bashing Again

Old Sep 18th 2005, 5:27 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Murdoch's Doing Some BBC Bashing Again

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media...572747,00.html

Bit surprised to see Clinton joining in though. But quite honestly, the Murdoch "the BBC is anti-american" line is getting a bit old. I know a lot of people here who use the BBC to get news, either through PBS, NPR or satellite radio, and not a single one has complained that the BBC's news coverage is in any way anti-american. And if you'd ever met them you'd know they would, especially the members of my wife's family who are lifelong Republicans.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 6:38 am
Winterwords

Default Re: Murdoch's Doing Some BBC Bashing Again

I don't think British media is so much Anti-American as Anti-Bush (infact, that can probably be said for most European broadcaster and media agencies).

I read a very small snippet on another website reporting that, and it's interesting to see that it is just a snippet, like an afterthought. I can't imagine it being a big deal over here for the majority of the public, because the majority agree that he (Bush) is a fool, and a dangerous one at that. Afterall, the BBC are not responsible for the federal & local governments response after Katrina. All they did was report it & raise questions regarding the time taken to take action.

Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
I can't imagine it being a big deal over here for the majority of the public, because the majority agree that he (Bush) is a fool, and a dangerous one at that.
While his approval ratings are certainly low, I only wish that meant that a majority thought he was a dangerous fool. There are certainly many Americans who would agree with that assessment, but if it was really a majority....
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:23 am
Winterwords

Originally Posted by snowbunny
While his approval ratings are certainly low, I only wish that meant that a majority thought he was a dangerous fool. There are certainly many Americans who would agree with that assessment, but if it was really a majority....
True. But the majority of Europeans don't have dual citizenship and ths can't vote in American elections.

(Sorry, I should've specified that "here" was in the UK).

Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
True. But the majority of Europeans don't have dual citizenship and ths can't vote in American elections.

(Sorry, I should've specified that "here" was in the UK).
Ah. I do try to look at the location of the poster, but if none given, then I assume from the forum that the poster is already in the US.

Please, feel free to take us back under the Mother Country's wing.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Murdoch being a bloody convict is pissed about the Ashes, so of course he is anti english
Old Sep 18th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

He is entitled to his opinions. Being the owner of the Sun newspaper takes away any credibility he has. As far as I am concerned an asshole, albeit a rich one.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 2:54 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
He is entitled to his opinions. Being the owner of the Sun newspaper takes away any credibility he has. As far as I am concerned an asshole, albeit a rich one.
I'd like to second that
Old Sep 18th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching a bit of FOX news yesterday and one of the blow hard presenters they had was talking about Europe using the hurricane to blast America and Bush. He mentioned the French, the Germans and then made comments about the BBC and how Blair had apparently mentioned his disgust to Murdoch recently about their coverage. They then had some snotty nosed British guy come on to basically back up what the blow hard just said. Not once during the whole thing did they mention what had been said or give any examples of news stories that had been printed. But then this is the shock horror type of journlism that FOX uses to scare and piss eveyone off in the bible belt. Fair and balanced my ass.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 5:40 pm
Winterwords

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4257190.stm

This is the article regarding the incident on the BBC website.

Old Sep 18th 2005, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Fox made remarks on GWB similar to those of the BBC; so therefore Fox and its owner News Corp are anti-American.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC was mild compared to CNN. Murdoch is just jumping on the opportunity to bash the Beeb again and Blair has got to keep The Sun shining on the labour party so he's probably toadying up to the 'orrible little man.
The Beeb says there have been no complaints about their coverage from downing Street.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:14 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Murdoch doesn't do a thing without a motive. He would like multiple outlets in UK, much as he has here, but the BBC is in the way. He will do everything he can to discredit the BBC, especially promote an international incident.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:24 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Murdoch doesn't do a thing without a motive. He would like multiple outlets in UK, much as he has here, but the BBC is in the way.
They also pissed off the Chinese government with their reporting at a time when Murdoch was trying to launch a satellite network in China. He appeased them by simply dropping BBC World from the package. It seems nothing upsets Rupe more than genuinely fair and balanced reporting.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lapine Member

Could we send him back to a real prison? I'd like to take the ball at the end of his chain and whack it over his head!