Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Multiple Passport/ Citizenship Question

Wikiposts

Multiple Passport/ Citizenship Question

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple Passport/ Citizenship Question

Originally Posted by ravman007
You have all 3 passports?
Yes.

I currently have UK & Canadian and was wondering how that would work when the time came and I could get my US citizenship.
There's nothing to "work". You become a USC and get a US passport. You remain a UK and CDN citizen... since it's the UK and Canada that determines whether or not you remain a citizen of their country... not the US.

When entering say the UK, do you leave the US on your US passport and enter the UK with your UK passport?
Yes.

Ian
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:20 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by handslikesecrets
Honestly, I just haven't gotten around to applying for a U.S. passport. Yes, I'm aware that makes me incredibly foolish. It's on my to-do list
Well, at the very least it explains the weird attitude of the Immigration Officers you described in your OP. . . .

As Md95065 pointed out, you're very lucky they let you enter without a penalty. US law requires all American citizens to enter & leave on the US ppt:

It is federal law* that all U.S. citizens, even dual nationals, must enter and depart the United States using a valid U.S. passport. *Sec 215(b) Immigration & Nationality Act [8 United States Code 1185]
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=86
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I just haven't gotten around to applying for a U.S. passport. Yes, I'm aware that makes me incredibly foolish. It's on my to-do list

I have to ask if you have changed your status with the social security department. You need to bring your US Citizenship paper there and have your file updated to show your new status.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
Several other European countries do not allow dual citizenship (Germany and Denmark and a good number of others) - but lucky for you and us, the UK and France are not among them.
Not strictly true. Germany prefers that you don't hold another citizenship, and that you may not acquire another citizenship if you hold a German Citizenship.

eg British-born (and British citizen) person with a German parent.

Each citizenship was acquired simultaneously at birth.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

handslikesecrets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I have to ask if you have changed your status with the social security department. You need to bring your US Citizenship paper there and have your file updated to show your new status.
I honestly don't know... I did everything I was told to do once I received my citizenship. I don't specifically remember going to a Social Security office. I have the same SS# I had before I was naturalized, not sure if I need to do something additional...
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I had before I was naturalized, not sure if I need to do something additional...
Yes... you need to take your naturalization certificate to the SSA and have them update your status. If it's done properly, you'll get a new SS card in the mail a week or so later... same number, just a new card.

Ian
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Not strictly true. Germany prefers that you don't hold another citizenship, and that you may not acquire another citizenship if you hold a German Citizenship.

eg British-born (and British citizen) person with a German parent.

Each citizenship was acquired simultaneously at birth.
Germany does allow you to acquire duel citizenship but you've got to go through a process to be allowed first, otherwise you would lose your German citizenship.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Germany does allow you to acquire duel citizenship but you've got to go through a process to be allowed first, otherwise you would lose your German citizenship.
Right. Although not many Germans know that, in my experience

(It's dual Bob, dual! Duel is a fight )
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You have all 3 passports? I currently have UK & Canadian and was wondering how that would work when the time came and I could get my US citizenship.

But it's good to see that it can be done
I have 4 passports - Ireland, UK, Canada and US. So I already held 3 citizenships when I became a US citizen. When you become a US citizen you take an oath renouncing all foreign allegiances. However, this oath means absolutely nothing to Ireland, UK, Canada and many other countries. They couldn't care less how the US handles its naturalization process because it has no legal meaning to these countries. If you want to renounce your UK and Canadian citizenship, you have to go through a separate process that is administered by the UK & Canada respectively - not the US.

When entering say the UK, do you leave the US on your US passport and enter the UK with your UK passport?
As a US citizen, you are legally required to leave/enter the US using a US passport. The UK has no such restriction for its citizens. On one trip, my wife (a citizen of UK/Canada/US) entered the UK on her UK passport while I entered the UK on my US passport.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Right. Although not many Germans know that, in my experience

(It's dual Bob, dual! Duel is a fight )

Auto correct and not proofing, grand stuff