Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Multi Region DVD Players

Multi Region DVD Players

Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of
Question Multi Region DVD Players

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to buy a Multi Region DVD player here. I can't seem to find one anywhere. My sister sent me a Peter Kay DVD and I REALLY want to watch it! We've tried playing it on a whole lot of DVD players and the only thing it worked in was my friend's Xbox.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 6:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi Region DVD Players

there's loads of threads on the subject...but bascially get a hack online, sorted...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...72282&v=glance

http://www.cobyusa.com/product/prod_...cat=dvd_player

http://www.videohelp.com/
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:23 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to buy a Multi Region DVD player here. I can't seem to find one anywhere. My sister sent me a Peter Kay DVD and I REALLY want to watch it! We've tried playing it on a whole lot of DVD players and the only thing it worked in was my friend's Xbox.
There's been a few threads on this subject.
IMHO your best bet is the Phillips DVP-642. It can be made multi-region very easily, and it has no problem playing PAL DVD's. In fact i've just been watching Porridge and Men Behaving Badly on mine, and i'll have the new series of Doctor Who in a week or so.
As a bonus this DVD player also plays most MPG, and AVI files, which means I can download programs like Have I Got News For You, as well as Strictly Come Dancing for the wife, and watch them on the telly.

Hope that helps
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:44 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

cyberhome do around $30 dvd players which are single region, but can be changed to multiregion by pushing a few buttons on the control, in fact maybe you should check on the internet to see if it is possible with the one you already have. It was with mine.

good luck
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:59 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cutina
cyberhome do around $30 dvd players which are single region, but can be changed to multiregion by pushing a few buttons on the control, in fact maybe you should check on the internet to see if it is possible with the one you already have. It was with mine.

good luck
I agree with Cutina, Cyberhome 300 from Best Buy. push menu 1 and 9 on the remote, chose region 0 and it plays any DVD, mine's been great for US DVD's and all the stuff I bought on Amazon.UK and it was around $30.
Talking of Amazon UK I bought some more Ealing DVD's and Alf Garnet for around $5 - $10 this week. Almost the price of a rental
Old Nov 19th 2005, 8:03 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cutina

good luck

Its funny, I was playing with this stuff today I just got some software to help me to back up some dvd's, and I have been toying with getting a multi-region dvd player. I have an old Toshiba SD1810, that I was trying to find a hack for (not sure that I'd know it if I saw it though). Solutions seem to range from buying chips to simple key sequences....
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:07 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

As someone already posted this IS EASY...

go on-line and look at what players are sold in what stores (bestbuy, compusa, walmart, costco or whatever).

go here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks and type the model number in.

See if there is a hack.. the cheap ones are often easier then the expensive ones...
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Its funny, I was playing with this stuff today I just got some software to help me to back up some dvd's, and I have been toying with getting a multi-region dvd player. I have an old Toshiba SD1810, that I was trying to find a hack for (not sure that I'd know it if I saw it though). Solutions seem to range from buying chips to simple key sequences....
some players require a firmware hack, that philips dvp, the old firmware didn't have macro enabled, new one does, so either have to live with macro protection or downgrade the firmware...it's usually not a problem unless you want to record movies to vhs or feed your dvd player through your video player...

some players require a chip hack, but easiest are the remote hacks, if you find it, try it, if it works your sorted and nothing lost..
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
There's been a few threads on this subject.
IMHO your best bet is the Phillips DVP-642. It can be made multi-region very easily, and it has no problem playing PAL DVD's. In fact i've just been watching Porridge and Men Behaving Badly on mine, and i'll have the new series of Doctor Who in a week or so.
As a bonus this DVD player also plays most MPG, and AVI files, which means I can download programs like Have I Got News For You, as well as Strictly Come Dancing for the wife, and watch them on the telly.

Hope that helps

The Cyberhome 300 series does that too....
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need any special TV to be able to do this?

Elaine
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:03 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Do we need any special TV to be able to do this?

Elaine
No, just a $30 DVD player, that's the beauty of it
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:12 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Go and buy one... NOW! How can you argue with 30$? I have had no problems with mine at all! cheap DVD player+old 2nd hand tv= suprisingly great!

Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Get the Cyberhome 300 for $19.99 here ....it seems

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/reb...&s=electronics
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

What about making a laptop multiregion?

Aspire 1804WSMi
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Get the Cyberhome 300 for $19.99 here ....it seems

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/reb...&s=electronics
Good deal Ray! I just ordered one. I cant believe they can profitably make these things in Asia, ship to the US and then distribute within the US for 20 dollars. Shocking. But thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.