Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Much prized belongings.

Much prized belongings.

Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Much prized belongings.

Originally Posted by USBound
I agree - when I moved over we sold almost EVERYTHING, brought over only my computer, XBOX (modified so required) and our wedding presents (mainly crockery, cutlery)... EVERYTHING is cheap here compared to the UK.... I bought everything again for less than I got when I sold everything at the other end..

example - 40inch Widescreen RP TV sold in the UK for 700 quid.. moved here, bought a 55 inch phillips HD RP for 999 delivered... made several hundred bucks on the deal and got a FAR superior TV

andy
Thats sounds extremely familiar! I had my PC in one of my suitcases, very similar story on the TV...
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:35 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by vegas
Thats true washing machines,dryers,air con units pool pumps run on 220v in america because at 110 the current drawn would be huge. they take the two black 110v lines to give 220v. the only problem is that the US runs at 60hz and the UK runs at 50HZ so you would have to check that anything electrical can run at this frequency
Yep, ... that power formula (probably an oversimplification) ... but I have no special skill in electrical systems ... that said,

Power = Volts * current

P = VI (meaning power is directly proportional to volts and current, so you can double V and half I without changing P). That clear???

If I remember my basic physics, a 2.2 kW device needs 20 amps at 110V but only 10 amps at 220V.

But electrical devices are rated for voltage, i.e. one should not feed the wrong voltage to a device ... if it is rated at 110/220V then it should take 110/220V, but if it is only rated at 240V then the device should not be run on a 110 volt supply ...

... also frequency (Hertz) can be an issue ... talk to a registered electrician registered in the state/locality in question. Transformers can alter voltage, but it takes more physics to change frequency ... most devices can tolerate a minor change in frequency, but don't think all 110V supplies around the world operate on the same frequency (I would always check first), but as a layman I carefully look at the device specs to make sure if the device can run on UK 240V and USA 110V etc. etc.

Last edited by Franklin; Feb 6th 2005 at 11:42 pm.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 220v outlets, they look very different to the norm US ones, I am sure you could find a picture on the Home Depot site. They are BIG, have 4 sockets, two 110 plus a neutral and earth.

In my case, Dryer and Hot Tub, often you will se them in Garages if you want to run serious Power Tools.

From what I have read, it is acknowledged that higer voltage would be the way to go but not practical now to switch.

It is not worth the hassle to move things, as well as what has been said, pain in the posterior if they go wrong.

Many more expensive portable items do have the capability of muti voltage/ frequency operation, my lap top for example, those that are not are usually too cheap to worry about or too big.