British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MSN Messenger vs Yahoo Messenger (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/msn-messenger-vs-yahoo-messenger-282647/)

dunroving Feb 8th 2005 4:54 pm

MSN Messenger vs Yahoo Messenger

Anyone here have a preference?

I seem to have been having a lot of problems with MSN Messenger lately (get bumped off, can't log in), and I don't think it's a problem at my end (two different computers, one Windows 2000, one XP, one on broadband cable internet, one on a blazing fast intranet).

I'm thinking of switching to Yahoo (I mostly use it to talk with relatives). Has anyone had similar problems with MSN?

superpat Feb 8th 2005 5:13 pm

Re: MSN Messenger vs Yahoo Messenger

Originally Posted by dunroving

I seem to have been having a lot of problems with MSN Messenger lately (get bumped off, can't log in), and I don't think it's a problem at my end (two different computers, one Windows 2000, one XP, one on broadband cable internet, one on a blazing fast intranet).

I'm thinking of switching to Yahoo (I mostly use it to talk with relatives). Has anyone had similar problems with MSN?

Yup - it just seems completely non-functional this morning. I can sign into Hotmail, but Messenger seems to be dead.
I have accounts on MSN, Yahoo, AIM and Jabber (all through the same client - GAIM). To be honest, AIM seems the most stable, and it's where most of the people I chat with are.

Cheers,

Pat

redlobster Feb 8th 2005 5:16 pm

I have both, but I much prefare yahoo.
I have lost hotmail loads of times but never yahoo.
Redlobster

TRPardoe Feb 8th 2005 5:36 pm

MSN messenger is down right now.

Overall I find that MSN has better reliability and a cleaner interface, you can also look up your stocks on it as well as local gas prices etc. Quite nice functionality. Drag and drop file sending is very good.

Yahoo lets you have much larger webcam images than MSN, up to full screen, and the cam image opens in a seperate window. However it does not support Drag and Drop, you have to use that cumbersome browse thing to find files to send.

I prefer Yahoo for web camming and MSN for everything else.

.......then of course there are Yahoo Chat Rooms............. :eek:

NC Penguin Feb 8th 2005 6:06 pm

Just recently got into the IMming. I use both.

I haven't got a preference except that I don't like MS products and am using MSN Messenger at the instance of a friend.

I use Yahoo Messenger most frequently and chat with my spouse whilst we are both at work! It's easier than picking up the phone or sending an email.

NC Penguin

dunroving Feb 8th 2005 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

.......then of course there are Yahoo Chat Rooms............. :eek:

Now you've got my interest - what is that all about?

helenw Feb 8th 2005 6:11 pm

We use yahoo to chat with each other. One of the cool things is it can archive IM's. I have all my conversations on Yahoo with my better half dating back to 2001!!

emmals Feb 8th 2005 6:12 pm

msn has totally fecked our computer up...have just changed to yahoo.....just need to change everyone else so i can chat to them :(

TRPardoe Feb 8th 2005 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just recently got into the IMming. I use both.

I haven't got a preference except that I don't like MS products and am using MSN Messenger at the instance of a friend.

I use Yahoo Messenger most frequently and chat with my spouse whilst we are both at work! It's easier than picking up the phone or sending an email.

NC Penguin

I chat to my kids in the UK on MSN almost every day. Much easier than trying to get them on the phone and infinitely cheaper. You cannot swap photos on a phone call either.

However, my wife hates IM she thinks it is too impersonal.

Webbie Feb 8th 2005 6:21 pm

Dump both of them and have a crack with Trillian: http://www.trillian.cc/
You can IM people on MSN/Yahoo/AOL and ICQ with this one app.

Or for those with DSL connections: http://www.skype.com/

Both are very recommended.

http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/nerd.gif

MisBish Feb 8th 2005 6:41 pm

I'm more partial to AIM lately (AOL Instant Messenger) and you do'nt have to have AOL to use it.

Other than that I'd usually rather stick forks in my eye than use MSN.

I'm a yahoo! girl from way back! Seems more reliable to me.

Pimpbot Feb 8th 2005 6:46 pm

My wife and I used yahoo all the time when we were seperated by an ocean. We used to hook up mic's and talk. I believe they have an option for webcams also now. Yahoo messenger saved us a fortune in phone bills thats for sure.

I've only used MSN messenger a few times and didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Yahoo.

Dan725 Feb 8th 2005 7:25 pm

MSN Messenger still seems to be dead now 3:25pm EST. I use MSN because thats what all my friends use, havent tried anything else.

greasehog Feb 8th 2005 7:36 pm

It's now 8.30pm GMT and MSN is still down!
I used to like MSN but just lately it's been a total nightmare, when i have managed to log on to it the webcam is often down due to technical probs.
I've got yahoo messenger but i don't use that very often although the webcam screen is better than MSN.

whistlestop01 Feb 8th 2005 7:44 pm

I have both but I definitely prefer Yahoo!!