British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is MSN/Hotmail having a gooseberry? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/msn-hotmail-having-gooseberry-287626/)

Franklin Mar 3rd 2005 1:16 am

Is MSN/Hotmail having a gooseberry?

"Honest people of the USA forum ... may I have your attention." (Morphed from a MBI line) ... :D

Anyone having a problem with attachments emailed to Hotmail a/cs? :confused:

I sometimes email forms (as attachments) to prospects. Emails sent out to prospects with Hotmail a/cs are getting returned to me with a virus warning about the attachment. I have run the latest updated version of Norton antiviral and there is nothing in the file that I am emailing as an attachment. I am thinking that either Hotmail is using a messed up version of its anti-virus s/w or there is something else going on. Is there a very new virus out there? Is it infecting files at the router level, so that clean files end up with a nasty virus attached to them causing Hotmail to barf up a bucket of something we don't like to talk about? :confused:

“Does anybody care? Does anybody really care?� … a line from some movie … my working memory is not fessing up the name of the movie. :o

Yorkieabroad Mar 3rd 2005 2:20 am

Re: Is MSN/Hotmail having a gooseberry?

Originally Posted by Franklin
"Honest people of the USA forum ... may I have your attention." (Morphed from a MBI line) ... :D

Anyone having a problem with attachments emailed to Hotmail a/cs? :confused:

I sometimes email forms (as attachments) to prospects. Emails sent out to prospects with Hotmail a/cs are getting returned to me with a virus warning about the attachment. I have run the latest updated version of Norton antiviral and there is nothing in the file that I am emailing as an attachment. I am thinking that either Hotmail is using a messed up version of its anti-virus s/w or there is something else going on. Is there a very new virus out there? Is it infecting files at the router level, so that clean files end up with a nasty virus attached to them causing Hotmail to barf up a bucket of something we don't like to talk about? :confused:

“Does anybody care? Does anybody really care?� … a line from some movie … my working memory is not fessing up the name of the movie. :o

Hmm - interesting - I've just spent a very frustrating few days trying to email some attachments from a hotmail account to an aol account. The guy consistently denies receving them. I was starting to think he just doesn't want to receive the bad news, and was in denial, but if theres a problem in hotmail, maybe he's telling the truth!

Bob Mar 3rd 2005 2:47 am

www.yousendit.com

To send files upto 1gb, and can do secure transfers as well, just need persons email addy, the file, and you can leave a message.
They get an email with a link, they click and can download the file within 7 days, after that, the files deleted, or deleted after it's been downloaded...means it's quick as you ain't clogging up email server.

I think the sites having maintenance on it at the mo though....but it is good, a mate use's it for work, they transfer designs around the world using it, quicker than mail, and less hassle of attachment sizes for email.

rincewind Mar 3rd 2005 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmm - interesting - I've just spent a very frustrating few days trying to email some attachments from a hotmail account to an aol account. The guy consistently denies receving them. I was starting to think he just doesn't want to receive the bad news, and was in denial, but if theres a problem in hotmail, maybe he's telling the truth!

It depends on a few things:

1) What spam/virus software they use on the mail accounts

2) What you are sending to them. You may be sending something that is alerting the software used in point 1.

3) Some people never check their bulk mail folders. Sometimes important e-mails are flagged as spam and dumped there only to be deleted at a later time.

I use Outlook for my e-mail via my ISPs mailserver on my account. They have spam protection on their mailservers and only a handful of e-mails didn't get through. It all depends on what you send.

My relations use an annoying program that puts smilies all over the e-mails and back ground images, etc. A good tool if you want spam protection to trash it. It sees the image over dose, thinks it's spam and blocks it.

When sending any files, I always zip them with Winzip before sending. I've had no problems with zip files.

Bob Mar 3rd 2005 4:36 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
When sending any files, I always zip them with Winzip before sending. I've had no problems with zip files.

To be honest, hotmail's been kack most of the time...and now, the new virus scan is a tad lacking in consistency, I think they use macfee? anyway...it okay's some files and not others...also are limited to what you can send in file size, not to mention, if it's a new account, can't access it via outlook etc, only old accounts.

Best bet, get a gmail account, I've loads of invites if anyone is interested.
Or use excite or yahoo, those two work a lot better IMO.

rincewind Mar 3rd 2005 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Best bet, get a gmail account, I've loads of invites if anyone is interested.
Or use excite or yahoo, those two work a lot better IMO.

Agreed. I have a Yahoo account as back up for my regular mail. Prefer that over Hotmail although a few e-mails go into the bulk. But then I can just click to say it isn't spam. Stops future mails going in there.

Franklin Mar 3rd 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
To be honest, hotmail's been kack most of the time...and now, the new virus scan is a tad lacking in consistency, I think they use macfee?

Maybe Hotmail has recently changed from Mcafee to another anti-virus s/w :confused: But whatever it is that Hotmail is now using it seems to be issuing "false positives". :( Very annoying because when Hotmail sends an email stating the attachment sent has an incurable virus ... it causes a lot of work at the sender's end ... looking for a non-existent virus.

Elvira Mar 3rd 2005 4:14 pm

Have had a lot of problems with Hotmail recently also. I get attachments that fail the Hotmail virus check even though I know they are from safe sources. When re-sent to Yahoo or gmail they pass the virus check without a problem.

Have ahd lots of other problems with Hotmail too. I'm in the process of ditching them, which I'd meant to do for a long time but considered too much of a hassle because of my long list of contacts and having to inform everyone.

But enough is enough - I'm with gmail now!

Bob Mar 3rd 2005 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Have ahd lots of other problems with Hotmail too. I'm in the process of ditching them, which I'd meant to do for a long time but considered too much of a hassle because of my long list of contacts and having to inform everyone.

But enough is enough - I'm with gmail now!

Yeah, just export contacts, and then import it into yahoo, or gmail, whatever, and then one blanket email out informing everyone, sorted :)