British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MS Driving License Woes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ms-driving-license-woes-523092/)

Knight Mar 20th 2008 2:23 am

MS Driving License Woes

I am so frustrated!

When I arrived here in November on my K-1 visa, I tried to get a state issued DL using my passport and I-94, but was told that I needed an immigration document that showed I had at least 6 months of status. My I-94 only had 90 days on it, so I was told to come back when I had something else.

Today I got my EAD in the mail, and that is valid for a year, so off I went to the local DMV office to try again.

They accepted the EAD, but now they have a problem with my name. I have a birth certificate in my original name, but I changed my name when my parents got married. I have a deed poll to show the name change, just a standard document stating that I am not using the old name any more. It's got two witnesses to it.

The DMV don't like it because it's not certified or notorized by anyone, or issued by a court. I tried to explain that in England there is no legal process to change a name and this document is perfectly fine.

I tried to explain that the federal government has been happy with the document. It was used in the K-1 and AOS application process giving me a visa and an EAD in my new name, but still the DMV says it's not something they can accept.

I've now got to go to Jackson on Friday to speak to a Highway Patrol Investigator to try and explain it to him.

I never thought the must frustrating official piece of business I had to take care of would be getting a drivers license.

Grrr.

zargof Mar 20th 2008 2:51 am

Re: MS Driving License Woes

So, if I understand correctly everything except your birth certificate is in your new name? So why do you need your birth certificate to actually get a driver's licence? I would have thought just the EAD and perhaps a passport would be enough.

Knight Mar 20th 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 6087388)
So, if I understand correctly everything except your birth certificate is in your new name? So why do you need your birth certificate to actually get a driver's licence? I would have thought just the EAD and perhaps a passport would be enough.

That's right. Only my birth certificate is in my old name. The DMV lists a birth certificate as one of the required documents for obtaining a DL.

I've just found out that the person I am meeting on Friday is actually a fraud investigator for the MS Highway Patrol. Fantastic.

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2008 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 6087411)
That's right. Only my birth certificate is in my old name. The DMV lists a birth certificate as one of the required documents for obtaining a DL.

I've just found out that the person I am meeting on Friday is actually a fraud investigator for the MS Highway Patrol. Fantastic.

Can't you meet the DMV's requirements with other documents? I realise the rules and regs differ from state to state but in NJ there are several documents to choose from.

Knight Mar 20th 2008 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6087415)
Can't you meet the DMV's requirements with other documents? I realise the rules and regs differ from state to state but in NJ there are several documents to choose from.

Unfortunately not. My SS card and certified copy of a birth certificate are what they require, plus USCIS documents because I am not a citizen. That and something which shows the difference between all my ID and my birth certificate.

I am trying to find some information to take with me which will show the fraud investigator that a deed poll in the UK can be done at any time by anyone and isn't done through any official channels. Something official to back up my claim.

Don't suppose you guys know of anywhere I can get something suitable?

cindyabs Mar 20th 2008 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 6088998)
Unfortunately not. My SS card and certified copy of a birth certificate are what they require, plus USCIS documents because I am not a citizen. That and something which shows the difference between all my ID and my birth certificate.

I am trying to find some information to take with me which will show the fraud investigator that a deed poll in the UK can be done at any time by anyone and isn't done through any official channels. Something official to back up my claim.

Yeah, call up the British Consulate, have 'em holding on your cell phone and give it over to the Fraud guy to speak with 'em.

Ray Mar 20th 2008 3:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deed_poll

fatbrit Mar 20th 2008 3:20 pm

Just file your name change through a Mississippi court. Probably cost you $50 or so.

Knight Mar 20th 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 6089379)
Just file your name change through a Mississippi court. Probably cost you $50 or so.

I'd been thinking that. I called all the attorneys in my town and the cheapest price was $350 to prepare the paper work.

I've seen free versions of a name change document on the net, but I am not sure how correct they are. I called the Chancery Clerk, and they said it was a $45 filing fee, and they recommended the paperwork be done by an attorney to remove the risk of it not being right.

I'll try and argue my case tomorrow with the fraud investigator, and failing that, may have to try and change my name myself.

I did find this, it's on a government website at least - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/9805.htm

fatbrit Mar 20th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 6089719)
I'd been thinking that. I called all the attorneys in my town and the cheapest price was $350 to prepare the paper work.

I've seen free versions of a name change document on the net, but I am not sure how correct they are. I called the Chancery Clerk, and they said it was a $45 filing fee, and they recommended the paperwork be done by an attorney to remove the risk of it not being right.

I'll try and argue my case tomorrow with the fraud investigator, and failing that, may have to try and change my name myself.

I did find this, it's on a government website at least - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/9805.htm

Try your local Borders or Barnes & Noble -- they often have the forms for easy legal stuff. They'll sell them in kits, but they often have even cheaper versions -- just plain photocopies -- if you ask at the inquiries desk. The clerk of the court will always advise you to get a lawyer -- CYA!

Knight Mar 20th 2008 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 6089740)
Try your local Borders or Barnes & Noble -- they often have the forms for easy legal stuff. They'll sell them in kits, but they often have even cheaper versions -- just plain photocopies -- if you ask at the inquiries desk. The clerk of the court will always advise you to get a lawyer -- CYA!

Interesting... I'll give it a shot, if it comes to that. Thanks!

Knight Mar 23rd 2008 7:06 am

Thankfully it all worked out. The fraud investigator was concerned about my birth certificate as it's a copy made by the GRO but its handwritten. He had to call the Chief of the Highway Patrol to approve my license.

I was supposed to take a test, but he said he'd waive that since I'd had to travel 70 miles to see him. They gave me a 1 year license to cover the validity period of my EAD, but told me that after the license expires, I should be able to renew to a normal 4 year one using my Green Card, assuming it arrives by then.

Was so tempted to call into the local office and slap the woman who rejected me with the license, but refrained.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to get around the name issues though.

augigi Mar 23rd 2008 7:08 am

So they just gave you a local license with no testing? Bonus! Glad it worked out for you.