Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which MP3 player?

Which MP3 player?

Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which MP3 player?

Originally Posted by lionheart
I love my I-pod. I think kids will be disappointed with anything less,
Yes your kids will hate you if you buy them anything different
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Can you (or anyone) please advise how I download BBC stuff onto my I-pod??
iTunes will load up the Podcasts if you copy and paste the URL into it; you can also download regular MP3s and add them to your collection, then just copy them over.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:50 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by neil
Don't get an IPOD - completely overrated. Creative do some good ones - there are a lot of unhappy IPOD owners at the moment because the battery completely dies after a couple of years and there's no way to replace it. The Creative ones generally have better battery life and are cheaper.
I have a Creative Zen Extra 30Gb which I bought when they first came out. It's bigger and chunkier than an iPod but it does what it says on the tin. IMO there is too much storage; I have about 600 albums on there, it's not full and some stuff I have never listened to. Keeping it smaller is better as you'll be more selective with your choices.

I like mine because I can play it through any radio (via Belkin FM transmitter) and also via a cable through my sound system. No looking for CD's one room or t'other.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:51 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
iTunes will load up the Podcasts if you copy and paste the URL into it; you can also download regular MP3s and add them to your collection, then just copy them over.
Thanks, didn't realize BBC was on the podcast bandwagon
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Something to watch out for with the iPods are the accessories that really you *need* to buy with it.

Such as:

A case - for protection
A regular plug recharger - my Nano only recharges when plugged into a computer or in the car.

etc..

These tend to be expensive.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, didn't realize BBC was on the podcast bandwagon
In fact, that URL I posted on the other thread was a Podcast URL, just copy and paste it into iTunes; it's very slick.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:54 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Something to watch out for with the iPods are the accessories that really you *need* to buy with it.

Such as:

A case - for protection
A regular plug recharger - my Nano only recharges when plugged into a computer or in the car.

etc..

These tend to be expensive.
Also I-tunes FM transmitter for the car. I agree, these accessories are way overpriced, they know they have you by the b**** in a hot market
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I can gather 2 things about Apple:

1) They have excellent designers and make cool looking stuff.
2) They use the above to sell their stuff at prices way above anyone elses even though the hardware underneath is the same.

Ergo...Technically a half the price Creative or similar will do exactly what an iPod will do. Tell your kids to buy their own if they simply must have an iPod but you will get them something if what they really want is an MP3 player that does a good job but doesnt cost the earth.

PS When anyone mentions Apple I have a mental image of the orignal Apple computer that turned up in our school, er a number of years ago....it looked anything but cool.. more like a pile of bricks with a tiny green screen stuck ontop.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:05 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Which one? They seem to have a bunch of them...
I have the Creative Zen Touch - it claims 24 hour battery life. I haven't timed it but I usually go a few weeks between charges the amount I use it.

It really depends on what sort of size you want. Others have given some good recommendations and information on the different types so that will probably point you in the right direction more than I can.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our son the iPod 20GB PC+Mac for his birthday in August. We spent weeks and weeks trying to figure out which one to buy and in the end I think we made the right decision as our son absolutely loves it and has the earphones in most of the time.

I have just been to look for it to check which one he has and the little sod has taken it to school when he knows full well he isn't supposed to.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:01 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Apple's iPods are the best selling MP3 players worldwide - the larger hard drive based ones now have video playback capability, while the smaller Nano 2GB and 4GB have colour screens but no video capability. The iPod Shuffle has no screen (and is a dreadful player, IMO).

For all the talk of Apple players being more expensive, you'll actually find that nothing much can compete with the iPod Nano for value - Apple are selling their 2GB and 4GB flash-memory based players for less than almost any other company right now. Combine that with excellent industrial design (the Nano gets scrached very easily apparently, but a little Brasso fixes that right up!) and the best user interface on the market, and you reall can't beat Apple's current generation of players.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:39 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

We've purchased a Creative Zen Micro 5 GB MP3 Player for hubby's daughter as a Christmas pressie, simply because it comes in green (her request!) Bought thru amazon...however, the 6gb was on sale cheaper thru bestbuy.com, but sold out before I hit the purchase button (grrrr).
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone - you've certainly given me a lot to think about and research a bit further.

Karma to everyone except where prohibited by local ordinance spreading laws [Lionheart and dbj - will you take a rain check? ]
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:11 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Check out the Iriver too, if u want something small, cheaper, exc battery life........mine is a 1gb, which will hold some 250 songs or so.........flash memory

highy recommended!

IRIVER
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks everyone - you've certainly given me a lot to think about and research a bit further.

Karma to everyone except where prohibited by local ordinance spreading laws [Lionheart and dbj - will you take a rain check? ]
Karma doesn't even seem to matter after the 13 th box anyway??? JUst tell me why Elvira and why are you Don Giovanni's girl? I've been curious for a while now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.