Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving and working in New York!

Moving and working in New York!

Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

LathamJD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving and working in New York!

Hi, basically I am 22 years old, I am male and see myself as a adventurous, polite young adult. My dream is to move to New York and work there. I feel like the life style in New York is incredible. The whole life style is just so me. I'm not going to lie, the only qualifications I have is that ok a qualified plasterer and have a GCSE in Catering. I would love to move and work in New York in a year or so but have NO idea on where to start? Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Where do I start? What do I need to move there? How much money would j need to save up before hand? Who can I speak too?

Thank you for any replies in advance and take care.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and working in New York!

Sorry, but plasterer and catering are probably not careers that will lead to a visa to live and work in the USA.

Look in our Wiki for the article called Pulaski's Ways, that shows all the various ways to the USA.

At your age, I suggest a student visa, which could lead to meeting a potential USC love interest, and maybe an interested employer when you graduate.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 17th 2015 at 2:05 am.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I see nothing in your post that indicates you have any way to live and work in the US, nothing at all.

To work in the US, as per the link that Noorah pointed you towards, you either need a close family member to sponsor you, or you need to have substantial sum to invest ($six figures, preferably several), or you need a degree in your chosen occupation (or experience equivalent to a degree, minimum 12 years of it).

You appear to be a country mile away from qualifying under any of those three categories. Sorry, again.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 17th 2015 at 2:41 am.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend match.com and go from there. From what you have said, a USC love interest is your only prospect.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, US homes are made without plaster, so your skill as a plasterer would not lead directly to employment anyway. Here plasterboard (US = "drywall", or sometimes the brand name "Sheetrock") is hung "front side out" then the joints are skimmed with jointing compound and reinforced with paper or mesh tape. Even older houses that were plastered are typically restored using drywall if/when the lath and plaster is removed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 17th 2015 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a plastering job, but it would need to be on the VWP and I am a long way from NY.

Up to you how successful you would be with the ladies.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:34 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Incidentally, US homes are made without plaster, so your skill as a plasterer would not lead directly to employment anyway. Here plasterboard (US = "drywall", or sometimes the brand name "Sheetrock") is hung "front side out" then the joints are skimmed with jointing compound and reinforced with paper or mesh tape. Even older houses that were plastered are typically restored using drywall if/when the lath and plaster is removed.
Out here they appear to 'mud' or coat their mcmansions in an external plaster-like substance. If you were a half decent plasterer you'd probably be fine doing that, although the level of work is probably nowhere near as high as it would be in the UK.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Stucco

But mainly a Mexican business, well it is in Colorado.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe
Out here they appear to 'mud' or coat their mcmansions in an external plaster-like substance. If you were a half decent plasterer you'd probably be fine doing that, although the level of work is probably nowhere near as high as it would be in the UK.
I would guess the skill is transferable, but given the skill required to finish plaster to the smoothness expected, I would think that daubing on stucco would be a less skilled occupation.

In any case stucco is very rare in NY.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:20 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of exterior stucco and interior plaster in NM, but it's a long way from NY. And like Boiler says, it's a Mexican business.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sorry, but plasterer and catering are probably not careers that will lead to a visa to live and work in the USA.

Look in our Wiki for the article called Pulaski's Ways, that shows all the various ways to the USA.

At your age, I suggest a student visa, which could lead to meeting a potential USC love interest, and maybe an interested employer when you graduate.

Rene
Given your catering interest - I wonder whether the CIA might be a path for you (hardly cheap-o, however)

NO!....not that CIA
This one:

The Culinary Institute of America : CIA Admissions and Financial Aid
also:
http://www.ciachef.edu/international-students/

Last edited by MMcD; Jul 17th 2015 at 7:02 pm. Reason: added 2nd link
Old Jul 17th 2015, 7:34 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Still think the best way for a young man to emigrate to the States is to hook up via Match.com
Meet a nice American girl (Or chap dependent on persuasion) They love the accent so your half way there.
Get married and live the dream..

Worked for my daughter, she met an American guy online. He thought she was exotic
A few years later they were married and living in Denver.
Quicker than myself sponsoring a 25 year old daughter.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Still think the best way for a young man to emigrate to the States is to hook up via Match.com
Meet a nice American girl (Or chap dependent on persuasion) They love the accent so your half way there.
Get married and live the dream..

Worked for my daughter, she met an American guy online. He thought she was exotic
A few years later they were married and living in Denver.
Quicker than myself sponsoring a 25 year old daughter.
Just wondering, how is this in any way different to people obtaining a passport through Thai Brides - Thai ladies seeking marriage or Ukraine Brides | Ukrainian Women | Marriage Ukraine Ladies? Because those seem kind of sad, but fit a need I suppose.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Like tingtong?
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by london_calling
Just wondering, how is this in any way different to people obtaining a passport through Thai Brides - Thai ladies seeking marriage or Ukraine Brides | Ukrainian Women | Marriage Ukraine Ladies? Because those seem kind of sad, but fit a need I suppose.
I agree with what you're thinking, but there is no "clear bright line" dividing the two areas. I see one as more objectification than the other, but perhaps finding accent attractive is not so different. And if that is the issue then both Mrs P and I are guilty, though we both admit we are so used to each other that we no longer hear the accent.

I also think that the "ethnic dating" sites attract the more, er, desperate on both sides of the table, but maybe I am being unduly harsh?

For disclosure purposes, I met Mrs P on a dating web site, it was as much out of curiosity as anything, but maybe I am just trying to fool myself. I don't think I was desperate.

A university friend of mine was killed, allegedly by the Russian mafia, after marrying a Russian woman in what appears to have been a set-up/trap. He was visiting her (she refused to leave Russia) when he was hit an killed by vehicle under suspicious circumstances after his wife went back into the restaurant "to fetch her gloves".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2015 at 1:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.