Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving without expat package?

Moving without expat package?

Old Jan 20th 2020, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving without expat package?

Interesting thread for me, we're planning our move in around 6 months. Was weighing up shipping much of our furniture against buying new once we arrive taking into account it's pointless bringing electrical items. Has anyone got a ballpark for kitting out a 3/4 bed home in CA for 11 and 9 year old and me and the wife? We don't need TV's in every room etc.........

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2020, 8:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
Interesting thread for me, we're planning our move in around 6 months. Was weighing up shipping much of our furniture against buying new once we arrive taking into account it's pointless bringing electrical items. Has anyone got a ballpark for kitting out a 3/4 bed home in CA for 11 and 9 year old and me and the wife? We don't need TV's in every room etc.........

Thanks
How long is a piece of string?

I suggest that you check out websites such as Ikea, Ashley Furniture, and Wayfair for furniture that you would feel comfortable with, because some people might furnish a home for $5k, and others could burn through $50k, which is certainly possible if you furnish your entire home from Restoration Hardware.

Bear in mind that US homes have a closet in each bedroom so you won't need a wardrobe ando may not need a chest either.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is actually fairly easy for a corporation to convert a secondee on an L-1 "secondment" visa, to permanent resident aka "green card". Not all companies are willing to do so because of the cost linked to the fact that once someone has a green card they can walk straight out the door and go to work for anyone else in the US who will hire them.
Companies will typically add a clause to a green card agreement that costs are repayable if the employee leaves within a certain period of time. Mine was a year... after which I immediately started looking for a job So they got 18 months or so of employment out of me post receipt of my green card.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 10:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Companies will typically add a clause to a green card agreement that costs are repayable if the employee leaves within a certain period of time. Mine was a year... after which I immediately started looking for a job So they got 18 months or so of employment out of me post receipt of my green card.
But companies in some sectors will pay off such sums to hire the right person, including foregone annual bonuses, professional memberships, the costs of MBAs, and other degrees, etc, and I am certain that for someone with desirable skills, qualifications and/or professional knowledge companies would pay off your green card fees for you.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But companies in some sectors will pay off such sums to hire the right person, including foregone annual bonuses, professional memberships, the costs of MBAs, and other degrees, etc, and I am certain that for someone with desirable skills, qualifications and/or professional knowledge companies would pay off your green card fees for you.
Yes, very much so... I remember when I started looking post a green card one headhunter thought I'd made a mistake waiting so long for this precise reason! But, some advise that changing employers immediately after getting an employment-based green card might not be the best idea:

https://www.murthy.com/2019/07/29/ch...ed-green-card/
Old Jan 21st 2020, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Busylizzy111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for everyone weighing in!

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Hi BusyLizzy, welcome. We've lived a few places over the last 18 years but moved to the US from Australia just last year. Lots of good advice and info here but the question I would ask you: If you want to go, you are initiating the move, but no relocation package is offered, would you still want to go? What's it worth to you?
Hi! Yes, I think this is precisely the question (and also a fun discussion topic )

Originally Posted by robtuck
I received $10k upfront and a couple of weeks to settle in, other than that we were on our own (L1A). I instigated the move, so wasn't expecting much, it was the opportunity I was after, and have not regretted it. Sure, some extra upfront would have made life easier, but where's the fun in that!! It's the small things that add up over the first few months you don't account for properly - like having to get a whole new set of kitchen utensils, pots and pans etc. We didn't bring much over, bar a few bigger items and clothes, soon found ourselves racking up the costs as a result. 3 and half years later, loving it.
Yes, the small things! I can see that. Also you are probably buying stuff when you need it, without time or energy to shop around or wait for sales.

Originally Posted by Kooky.
You're so right about the small things that add up but, if you know / think it's a temporary move, I advise just buying the bare minimum as you need it. When we moved to Singapore in 2002 with 4 suitcases, I went straight off to Ikea and bought starter kits - crockery, cutlery, pans. Along the way we acquired a lot more stuff - 20ft container to move to Australia (having offloaded a lot of the large furniture), 40 ft container to move across the Harbour Bridge just two years later.
Isn’t that lovely how the things seem to multiply? It is even worse now with 2 kids. It is honestly a not too small reason why my husband entertains the idea of a move - and I’d also appreciate the forced reassessment.

I did a small “pretend shop” at ikea.us and think with just the minimum furniture (beds, mattresses, dining table, chairs, sofa etc, no pots, silverware, utensils, linen) we’d be at around 5000 with delivery and the luxury of assembly through taskrabbit (side note: delivery is so cheap! We ordered just a bed and a mattress last month from ikea and the delivery costs here in Germany were really high). I can see how the 10000 USD, which sound a lot, vanish quickly. Plus all the costs are upfront and not over the period of time like “Lizzy wants some new towels but it can wait”

Old Jan 21st 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Busylizzy111
.... Isn’t that lovely how the things seem to multiply? ....
When we left New York we packed everything we owned into a 25ft rental truck (which would be a commercial truck in the UK but can be driven on a car license in the US). It was stacked completely to the roof and to within an inch of the roller door, so utterly jammed tight - I used to load trucks when I was a student, so I know how to load a truck!

We moved to my in-laws home in Virginia, and eight months later we moved to NC. We rented a slightly smaller truck, 20ft, knowing that we would need to make two trips, because we knew we had acquired "a bit more stuff". But my in-laws moved out before we did, and they only took what they wanted, leaving everything else to us - mostly yard tools, and some unwanted furniture, but a good bit of stuff for sure. We ended up making three trips in the rented truck to our new home in NC, two of them packed to the roof again, the third was full end-to-end but with furniture and things that couldn't easily be stacked. Plus we made several more trips in my pick-up truck in the following weeks, each time fully loaded.

That was 17 years ago, and since then we have continued to accumulate more stuff - tools and a variety of furniture. We have two double garages and only room for one car, though I am working on clearing out a lot of things we don't need or use. We also have a shed full of yard tools and equipment, and some tools stacked in the cellar. And we have a rented storage unit. And some unused furniture in the bonus room (over the garage). And stuff our daughter has grown too old for in the small bedroom.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

I can see how the 10000 USD, which sound a lot, vanish quickly.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it likely counts as taxable compensation so make sure they gross it up and pay the tax on your behalf.

If you're very lucky then you might even get a 401k contribution off the amount when they put it through payroll - I know I did, which was an added little bonus.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 3:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyone weighing in!

Hi! Yes, I think this is precisely the question (and also a fun discussion topic )

Yes, the small things! I can see that. Also you are probably buying stuff when you need it, without time or energy to shop around or wait for sales.

Isn’t that lovely how the things seem to multiply? It is even worse now with 2 kids. It is honestly a not too small reason why my husband entertains the idea of a move - and I’d also appreciate the forced reassessment.

I did a small “pretend shop” at ikea.us and think with just the minimum furniture (beds, mattresses, dining table, chairs, sofa etc, no pots, silverware, utensils, linen) we’d be at around 5000 with delivery and the luxury of assembly through taskrabbit (side note: delivery is so cheap! We ordered just a bed and a mattress last month from ikea and the delivery costs here in Germany were really high). I can see how the 10000 USD, which sound a lot, vanish quickly. Plus all the costs are upfront and not over the period of time like “Lizzy wants some new towels but it can wait”
Wow!

Meanwhile I'm struggling to fill all the closet space in our new house
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it likely counts as taxable compensation so make sure they gross it up and pay the tax on your behalf.

If you're very lucky then you might even get a 401k contribution off the amount when they put it through payroll - I know I did, which was an added little bonus.
Yes to this - we made sure the amount offered was the amount we got to play with.

Moving countries is a great way of having a clear out, though I did note the other night that I was wearing a jumper bought in 1999. Along with my school Domestic Science book from 1974, it seems to be a bit of a comfort blanket
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

I moved in 2007 without an expat package, but I was 25 and it was kind of at my request. They paid for a few weeks in a hotel, and were able to help me get a bank account setup before I had an SSN, and paid my first paycheck by physical check (they couldn't pay me in the usual way without an SSN). It worked out in the end, but if I had a family with me I'd definitely want something formal.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Busylizzy111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pejp
I moved in 2007 without an expat package, but I was 25 and it was kind of at my request. They paid for a few weeks in a hotel, and were able to help me get a bank account setup before I had an SSN, and paid my first paycheck by physical check (they couldn't pay me in the usual way without an SSN). It worked out in the end, but if I had a family with me I'd definitely want something formal.
Yes, that’s what my kid‘s godfather did as well, he wanted to be with his girlfriend - they did all the paperwork and paid for the flights.

Anyways, husband happens to have another face to face meeting with the CFO next week, so, in his words „You have to say how badly you really want it“. Right now I am leaning towards mentioning that we are still interested in another stint abroad in general but not pushing it too much... kind of nurturing the seed I guess?
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
I came in 1983 without any 'package'. I wanted the job and found it myself. The company did agree to do the green card, and I got 2 weeks in a hotel and 2 weeks car rental. I THINK I got air fare. And that was it! I landed with one suitcase!