British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to West Virginia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-west-virginia-772906/)

Caerl Sep 26th 2012 10:30 pm

Moving to West Virginia

I've been offered a job in West Virginia, deciding to move with wife and two boys, 16 and 10. My eldest boy doesn't want to go, but will come. He's done really well in his GCSE's getting 5 A* and 6 A grades. He would like to study medicine in university hopefully to be a doctor. I'm afraid that relocating will affect his motivation to study and he'll end up resenting me. I've also read up on the university fees, for undergraduate and medical schools are much higher than the UK ( even higher than in Wales where the first degree is subsidised). These fees will take a big chunk of my 100k [$] salary. Two question, have others any advice wrt to handling the move with my eldest - I've tried to explain the big picture in lifestyle, weather, travel, soccer and sporting opportunities. Please also advise if he'll be able to apply for scholarship, financial aid etc

Sally Redux Sep 26th 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Moving to West Virginia

Something to bear in mind is that you don't get undergraduate medical degrees here, so the process is much longer than in the UK.

From your post, I am not clear myself what the 'big picture' is - your list is not very specific.

Noorah101 Sep 26th 2012 10:39 pm

First question will be, what visa are you going to get?

That will define the answers you'll get. It matters, because some visas can lead to a green card, some can't. Are you looking at a permanent move, or temporary?

For the 16-year old, I'd say it wouldn't be worth the move (for his sake, but depending on the visa), because it will be expensive for him to change to F-1 student status in order to attend University in the USA. That is, if he doesn't have PR status by then. Although, he could go back to the UK for University while the rest of the family stays in the USA.

Rene

sunnysideup Sep 26th 2012 10:40 pm

There are several recent threads about families with teenagers moving to the US. If you have a 16 year old, I strongly advise against it. Let him finish his A levels in the UK. The high school systems are very different between UK and USA. Culture shock and adjustment will probably play havok in the first couple of years. The 10 year old however will probably fare much better.

Where and why in West Virginia? It's not a place you hear about many people moving to.

Orangepants Sep 26th 2012 10:42 pm

West Virginia :ohmy::ohmy:

kimilseung Sep 26th 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Caerl (Post 10301851)
..... I've also read up on the university fees, for undergraduate and medical schools are much higher than the UK ( even higher than in Wales where the first degree is subsidised). These fees will take a big chunk of my 100k [$] salary. .

Remember he will be a resident by the time he goes to college, so will get in-state fees (In my state it is living in state for one year to become eligible) Private college are much more expensive than public (many of the top rated universities are public)

One option taken by many here, is to go to Community College for the first two years, then transfer to a more prestigious institution for the second two years. You get a four year degree from a respected institution at a cut price as community colleges are much cheaper.

Caerl Sep 26th 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, I will have a H1 B visa

Noorah101 Sep 26th 2012 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10301878)
Remember he will be a resident by the time he goes to college, so will get in-state fees

Just to clarify, he might be considered resident to get in-state tuition, but he won't be considered a permanent resident of the USA if he does not have a green card by then.

I'm sure it differs from university to university, who qualifies for in-state tuition.

Rene

Caerl Sep 26th 2012 10:48 pm

Probably Parkersburg WV because it's close to the job I've been offered

Noorah101 Sep 26th 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Caerl (Post 10301884)
Thanks for the quick replies, I will have a H1 B visa

Thanks. So kids will have H4. Are you getting it written into your contract that the company will apply for the family's permanent resident status on a specific date? You should. Otherwise he could easily age out by the time the company gets around to that.

Rene

Sally Redux Sep 26th 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10301887)
Just to clarify, he might be considered resident to get in-state tuition, but he won't be considered a permanent resident of the USA if he does not have a green card by then.

I'm sure it differs from university to university, who qualifies for in-state tuition.

Rene

Yes I'm a little unsure myself on the rules.

I think it's usually one year's residence to get in-state tuition, but my son also had to go through a process of confirming he had a green card - not sure if the situation would have been different if he hadn't had one.

On the option of the 16-year-old returning to the UK for university, it should be borne in mind that he would then have lost residency there and would probably not be eligible for a student loan and would have to pay international fees upfront.

Caerl Sep 26th 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks - the deeper I look into this I think it's better my eldest does his A levels in the UK. Can't see me leaving him

ian-mstm Sep 26th 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Caerl (Post 10301888)
Probably Parkersburg WV because it's close to the job I've been offered

My wife and I both work in Huntington, WV. Parkersburg is a nice old town, but I wouldn't consider living there. While it's the 3rd largest city in WV, it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere! I hope you enjoy hot and very humid summers!

Ian

Caerl Sep 26th 2012 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10301921)
My wife and I both work in Huntington, WV. Parkersburg is a nice old town, but I wouldn't consider living there. While it's the 3rd largest city in WV, it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere! I hope you enjoy hot and very humid summers!

Ian

We're also considering Charleston, but it's a bit of a drive. Ripley was also considered, but not much there

kins Sep 27th 2012 12:28 am

All I know of West Virginia is the New River Gorge and the surrounding area, which is incredibly beautiful but full of rednecks. I dated a guy who lived in a log cabin there and it really is another world. I imagine it would be a huge culture shock for your kids.