Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

sunshine18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to West LA - best Private elementary schools?

OK so I've missed all of this - but thanks

Ok - so for the Charters you absolutely need to live in Catchment but will definitely get a place if you do (and that can be at any time in the school year) - and reading back yes we have been to the W LA region a few times and know some of it reasonably well. We will get a visit beforehand (and will also visit schools then) so this will help if nothing else re examples of housing that would be available to us in certain areas (costs and locations etc). We are v likely to take the view that the school comes first, hence my research as I need to know which to even visit! - and we will then base ourselves geographically around that decision - so if we like a school we will find a place to live in the catchment - initially on (likely) a v short-term lease so we can then take time to find a more ideal property in the catchment (unless "ideal" pops up early on and we just can't refuse it!). That tied in with choosing a good location re the commute and what sort of environment/lifestyle we want makes it reasonably easy to narrow down where to live (well so far anyway - ask me when I get back from the visit next year ). I am understanding more that of course like anywhere, good schools tend to be in the more expensive locations so big compromises on the house we end up in are quite likely for cost reasons.

Private schools - the only complication here is that you may have to accept a place quite early on or risk losing it (perhaps before you have even seen the others to know) because of their processes and acceptance-by dates....

To be continued!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine18
OK so I've missed all of this - but thanks

Ok - so for the Charters you absolutely need to live in Catchment but will definitely get a place if you do (and that can be at any time in the school year) - and reading back yes we have been to the W LA region a few times and know some of it reasonably well. We will get a visit beforehand (and will also visit schools then) so this will help if nothing else re examples of housing that would be available to us in certain areas (costs and locations etc). We are v likely to take the view that the school comes first, hence my research as I need to know which to even visit! - and we will then base ourselves geographically around that decision - so if we like a school we will find a place to live in the catchment - initially on (likely) a v short-term lease so we can then take time to find a more ideal property in the catchment (unless "ideal" pops up early on and we just can't refuse it!). That tied in with choosing a good location re the commute and what sort of environment/lifestyle we want makes it reasonably easy to narrow down where to live (well so far anyway - ask me when I get back from the visit next year ). I am understanding more that of course like anywhere, good schools tend to be in the more expensive locations so big compromises on the house we end up in are quite likely for cost reasons.

Private schools - the only complication here is that you may have to accept a place quite early on or risk losing it (perhaps before you have even seen the others to know) because of their processes and acceptance-by dates....

To be continued!
My background: We moved to Los Angeles when our daughter was 5, she had been in private school in the UK and was reading at a high level. This ruled out the public school option for us, as they were teaching kids their ABC. We went to two different private schools in LA. We moved to the Bay Area when daughter was 8, and into the public school system. We moved daughter to a Charter School for high school.

This is my understanding, on the school systems.

Charter Schools - Each has it's own rules. Most will enroll kids from anywhere, but priority may be given to catchment areas within a certain boundary. When they are full, they are full. You won't get a place even if you live next door

Public Schools - You have to live within the catchment area. You may be able to do a intra-district transfer, if there is availability in that school district. You have to be given a place within the school district that you live in, it won't necessarily be your first choice, or the school closest to where you live

Private Schools - No catchment areas. A place will be given if there is space (or in many cases in LA if you are famous enough, or make a large donation)

My experience of the private schools in LA. We first put our daughter at Berkeley Hall, it was terrible. Half the kids were absent for huge chunks of time because they were on tour with Mom or Dad. Most parents/kids/teachers didn't care about school work, as the kids were never going to need to work for a living anyway. The school were actually desperate to keep the kids who tested highly, as it helped their image and stats, other than that they really didn't give two hoots.

Moved to a small private school, in Tarzana (too far for you). This was much better, most kids in a similar situation to ours, where parents worked and were making a bit of a sacrifice paying out private fees.

We looked at lots of the larger, well known private schools (Viewpoint/Sierra). My advise would be to avoid these and focus more on the small private schools, if you decide to go down that road.

We love the Charter School my daughter is currently in. It works very well for her, and for the first time since 3rd grade, she actually likes school.

Last edited by N1cky; Oct 5th 2017 at 5:01 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you Nicky - that is really helpful and much appreciated. you have highlighted all of my concerns about some of the private schools in this particular part of the US especially. My son is also in private school here and doing very well though I wouldn't say he was outstanding. We will see a few private schools when we visit (which will work for their timelines) and go from there but my gut feel says one of the Charters will be best for him. My direct contact with them has re-assured me that if we live locally we will definitely get a place regardless of when that is - let's hope so!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Nicky - that is really helpful and much appreciated. you have highlighted all of my concerns about some of the private schools in this particular part of the US especially. My son is also in private school here and doing very well though I wouldn't say he was outstanding. We will see a few private schools when we visit (which will work for their timelines) and go from there but my gut feel says one of the Charters will be best for him. My direct contact with them has re-assured me that if we live locally we will definitely get a place regardless of when that is - let's hope so!
The problem with private schools is that the best ones may well be "full" and therefore not have a guaranteed place. They also likely have an assessment process before they can be offered a place.

My daughter had a two step process at the school she was accepted at, including an hour with a child psychologist doing some sort of standardized development and logic test, and then a similar time with a member of the school's admissions staff doing similar things, and some time in the school library in a group setting, .... and a visit to see my daughter "in action" at her pre-school. .... This was all before her fifth birthday! She handled it all with aplomb and was offered places are two great schools.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Good luck with your search, let me know if I can answer any questions.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks again - yes I have read up on the "assessments" (!) - we also need to decide if those are something we want him to do at just 5/6 yrs old! Our planned visit will fit in with the private schools' timelines for applications and assessments so we just have to decide soon if we do want to apply (and pay the ridiculously high fees :0)
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

eg76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - We moved to LA in the summer and have our kids in Private Schools (3, 8 & 10 yr olds), although not in West LA (We are in Pasadena). Very happy to share our experiences with you if you wanted to Private Message me.

We found that Private Schools will happily talk to you, but would want you to commit to a visit and will only give you a place if you are ready to pay deposits etc. Something we found difficult to do without looking at the schools first.

Generally speaking, if you can find a good school district, there is little difference between a v. good Public Elementary and Private Elementary. We have found that the benefit of Private Schooling is that you don't necessarily have to pay the premium of living in that School District.

Again, very happy to chat through our experiences and help in anyway we can.