Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to a warmer state

Moving to a warmer state

Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:41 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to a warmer state

Originally Posted by gardnma
Yer, dunno which is worse: sweating your balls off in the Southern summer or freezing them off in a Northern winter.
I guess one way or the other, we are about to find out...now to decide whether we want PA cold, or Kansas City MO cold!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickles
OK long story short, my wife has a medical condition which it a lot better in warm weather than in the winter. So recently we have been talking about moving to a state that does not have harsh and long winters like we do in IL to make life a little more comfortable for her during Octcober through April. I was thinking AZ or NV for the dry heat rather than the humid heat of FL.
So the main thing is finding work out there for me, my wife can pretty much work anywhere but I need somewhere there is some type of manufacturing or logistics industry.

So my questions to the members who live in the warmer states, what is it like? Any drawbacks? Is there any manfacturing outside the midwest?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Pickles
Yep, your electricity bills will be larger than the debt of many 3rd world nations, you'll have a wider variety of monster insects and aggressive fauna, and you'll have to deal with truck driving republican rednecks (at least in TX). If you can take it as a positive, you'll only have 2 seasons to deal with, hot and hotter. House prices are OK though, but that's 'cause most of the houses are made out of paper and matchwood (see point 1 about A/C electricity costs).... I believe most of the manufacturing has moved to Mexico, China and some former eastern-block countries. Not sure how that would tie in the the southern warmer drift, but hey ho.

- Tim
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Yep, your electricity bills will be larger than the debt of many 3rd world nations, you'll have a wider variety of monster insects and aggressive fauna, and you'll have to deal with truck driving republican rednecks (at least in TX). If you can take it as a positive, you'll only have 2 seasons to deal with, hot and hotter. House prices are OK though, but that's 'cause most of the houses are made out of paper and matchwood (see point 1 about A/C electricity costs).... I believe most of the manufacturing has moved to Mexico, China and some former eastern-block countries. Not sure how that would tie in the the southern warmer drift, but hey ho.

- Tim
So....you've sussed out Texas, and it would appear you like it as well.