British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to a warmer state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-warmer-state-409065/)

Pickles Nov 19th 2006 8:16 pm

Moving to a warmer state

OK long story short, my wife has a medical condition which it a lot better in warm weather than in the winter. So recently we have been talking about moving to a state that does not have harsh and long winters like we do in IL to make life a little more comfortable for her during Octcober through April. I was thinking AZ or NV for the dry heat rather than the humid heat of FL.
So the main thing is finding work out there for me, my wife can pretty much work anywhere but I need somewhere there is some type of manufacturing or logistics industry.

So my questions to the members who live in the warmer states, what is it like? Any drawbacks? Is there any manfacturing outside the midwest?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Pickles

blaze Nov 19th 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Moving to a warmer state

So my questions to the members who live in the warmer states, what is it like? Any drawbacks?

Pickles[/QUOTE]

Yes, sometimes warmer states can be too bloody warm! :p

ironporer Nov 19th 2006 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
OK long story short, my wife has a medical condition which it a lot better in warm weather than in the winter. So recently we have been talking about moving to a state that does not have harsh and long winters like we do in IL to make life a little more comfortable for her during Octcober through April. I was thinking AZ or NV for the dry heat rather than the humid heat of FL.
So the main thing is finding work out there for me, my wife can pretty much work anywhere but I need somewhere there is some type of manufacturing or logistics industry.

So my questions to the members who live in the warmer states, what is it like? Any drawbacks? Is there any manfacturing outside the midwest?

Pickles

You complain about the heat for 3 months a year instead of bitching' about the cold for 6 mo a year...and yes- with the Hyundai plant here in AL, a KIA plant coming to GA and Toyota in KY, there is a huge move to the south in mfg- auto at least.

Irn-bru Nov 19th 2006 8:29 pm

I think you need to be more specific re your job what area in manufacturing etc. But have you tried monster.com and all the online job sites to give you and idea of what's out there.

Elvira Nov 19th 2006 8:32 pm

Pickles

Not sure about manufacturing industries (although making wine is definitely an option!), but Northern California is certainly warm enough for my liking, and pretty civilised too - compared to some of the other 'warmer states' at least... ;)

NC Penguin Nov 19th 2006 9:26 pm

NC has great weather year round. Some would say the summers are too humid but you get used to it and adjust accordingly (like not walking long distances in 100F temperatures). Winters are neglible. i.e. a handful of sub-zero days and none to barely any snow and what snow falls melts in a day ('cos it's only an inch).

Cost of living is quite reasonable and traffic is pretty good compared to major metropolitan cities.

What kind of manufacturing industries are you interested in working in?

NC Penguin

sambuc Nov 19th 2006 9:33 pm

Not sure exactly what industry you are looking for, but there is a huge boeing plant in Mesa, AZ (apache helicopters). Also a Motorola plant, somewhere here I think.

It gets bloody hot here in the summer, but I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Thats what the A/C and pool is for :)

ironporer Nov 19th 2006 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
NC has great weather year round. Some would say the summers are too humid but you get used to it and adjust accordingly ?

NC Penguin

If you do, it takes longer than 4 years...at least in my experience. 95% humidity every day coupled with 95F temps sucks big donkey dicks and I have never gotten used to it.

Bob Nov 19th 2006 9:39 pm

don't know about what kind of manufacturing your into, but if anything electronic based, texas has a fair few, lexmark, texas instrument and a few others.

check out the usual job sites like careerbuilder, monster, dice, linkedin...but also http://www.coroflot.com/ it's more design based, but it does have good info about places and companies, so at least you can find out what sort of industry there might be in various places, even if those aren't exactly the jobs you'll be looking for.

gardnma Nov 19th 2006 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
If you do, it takes longer than 4 years...at least in my experience. 95% humidity every day coupled with 95F temps sucks big donkey dicks and I have never gotten used to it.

Yer, dunno which is worse: sweating your balls off in the Southern summer or freezing them off in a Northern winter. :rolleyes:

TruBrit Nov 19th 2006 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer

hang in there IP, my lovely usc mil told me that she has never got used to the temps you mentioned above and she was born and bread in the area :eek:

Bob Nov 19th 2006 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma
Yer, dunno which is worse: sweating your balls off in the Southern summer or freezing them off in a Northern winter. :rolleyes:

can always stick on extra skivvies...but sweaty knackers...eek *lol*

Maz Nov 20th 2006 3:53 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
NC has great weather year round. Some would say the summers are too humid but you get used to it and adjust accordingly (like not walking long distances in 100F temperatures). Winters are neglible. i.e. a handful of sub-zero days and none to barely any snow and what snow falls melts in a day ('cos it's only an inch).

A handful of -0F days? That's still bleedin' awful! :eek:

vegas Nov 20th 2006 3:56 am

I would rather be hot than cold. Now winters coming I am missing the 110 degree days already.

Manc Nov 20th 2006 1:31 pm

Is there any manfacturing outside the midwest?

are you willing to move to Mexico?