Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from WA to IN, Expat Checklist!

Moving from WA to IN, Expat Checklist!

Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving from WA to IN, Expat Checklist!

As per the title, I will be moving to Indiana from Washington (State) in the near future. I have been compiling a checklist of things to do as I have never moved home in the US before so wanted to run it by people here in case there was something I missed. Here is what I have so far:

General
House - Deposit & first months rent
1. I have been told that rental agents here check your credit rating. As I have very little (only got a credit card a few months ago), will this be a problem?
2. Has anyone here ever arranged rental of a home "by proxy"? Meaning sorting out a house and arranging rental without ever going there in person? I'd prefer not to have to fly over there again just to do this so was just wondering. I haven't had my full details through yet but my new company will provide relocation assistance whether this includes helping find a place I don't know yet.

Utilities (Water, Electric/Gas, Renters Insurance, internet)
Car insurance (have been on my inlaws ins since moving last summer, are there any recommended or expat friendly companies?)
Get a 2nd car (after a month or so) for my wife.
Car breakdown cover
Change of address for correspondence, cards etc
Notify INS of my change of address (This is a requirement of being sponsored by my inlaws, both they and I have to inform the govt of any change of address until I become a citizen I believe?)

Indiana Specific
Drivers Licence (I had a quick look online but couldn't find the timeframe I have to change my out of state licence to an IN one)
Licence plate (I believe I have 60 days to get these?)

Change Bank (My current bank is PNW specific, so if anyone has good recommendations for an Indiana or Midwest bank I'd be grateful)
Medical - check which doctors will accept my ins. (This is supplied by my new company so will I need to do this?)
Dentist - As above

Thanks all!
Old Apr 12th 2017, 6:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from WA to IN, Expat Checklist!

Be prepared for the possibility of having to come up with three months rent -- first, last, deposit is pretty usual these days.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 7:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Remember you and your wife have to file change of address forms with the USCIS. She for the affidavit of support and you the AR-11.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 7:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
General
House - Deposit & first months rent
[I]1. I have been told that rental agents here check your credit rating. As I have very little (only got a credit card a few months ago), will this be a problem?
Perhaps. Does your wife have a credit rating? You can ask your new employer to vouch for you.

Utilities (Water, Electric/Gas, Renters Insurance, internet)
Be prepared to put down deposits. You should look into combining your rental insurance along with your auto insurance. Normally, there is a discount. Shame you never got your own insurance but I can understand why you didn't since neither you nor your wife work. A lot of what you are asking has already been asked by hundreds of others re insurance. Do a quick search and see what you come up with. Car breakdown coverage comes as an option on your car insurance.

Notify INS of my change of address (This is a requirement of being sponsored by my inlaws, both they and I have to inform the govt of any change of address until I become a citizen I believe?)
Not just you but your wife as well as I mentioned in my other post. Are your in-laws moving? If not, then they don't have to do anything. Your wife is your sponsor, she needs to file the change of address as she is moving.

Don't worry about doctors and dentists right now. It is far too soon for that. You don't even have a copy of your healthcare insurance yet or the book they normally send you outlining what your coverage is, the list of doctors available.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 12th 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, yes I was aware of notifying USCIS of all our change of addresses so I will get on that once I have the details.

I'm prepared for this move to cost a fortune in deposits etc initially so anything less will be a welcome bonus, thanks again all
Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in IN are you moving to? Outside of the Indianapolis metro area it can be real erm "rural" and small town.
Having said that the metro area is very livable and fun, great burbs and downtown areas too.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Columbus area, and as I grew up in a rural area that suits me just fine. The good thing with that area is that it isn't far to any major metro area. Indy is 50 mins away, Louisville is about 90 mins South.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 5:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move. You might find smaller deposit requirements renting from individuals rather than professional landlords or management companies. Some of them will be willing to do a simple deal and deposit rather than going through all the credit checks and whatnot.

Columbus, IN, despite the small size, is of international importance the field of architecture. Designers from all of the world frequently visit to take in the collection of buildings in Columbus which were designed by some of the greatest modern architects in the world.

https://columbus.in.us/art-architect...-architecture/
Old Apr 13th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Penguin. I'm having trouble finding a rental that ins't an apartment at the moment but it's early days
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this still applies - but my brother moved from FL to IN and had a fairly fancy automobile (997 TT). The cost to re-register it in Indiana was very significant (being based on it's value). Might this be an issue for you too?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Doesn't apply, my car is a sh*tbox 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that's worth about $3k! I'll be buying newer car/s once we settle there
Old Apr 14th 2017, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Doesn't apply, my car is a sh*tbox 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that's worth about $3k! I'll be buying newer car/s once we settle there
Sorry to hear that. My 2001 Hyundai Elantra is still on the road and running beautifully. So is my other daughter's 2001 Santa Fee with over 150,000 miles on it and an almost non-existent repair record. That daughter now has four vehicles: a Jeep Wrangler (1987), 2001 Santa Fee, 1998 Toyota Corolla and the 2015 Town and Country
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Look on craigslist for rental. I always find it strange when people want to rent from us without viewing the property. We are now able to do everything online, so you may find some landlords can do that too.

You could look at hertzcarsales for a car, they are reasonably priced and come with minimum of 1 year breakdown cover. The rent to buy option may work well for you if you need a rental car to get down there.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry to hear that. My 2001 Hyundai Elantra is still on the road and running beautifully. So is my other daughter's 2001 Santa Fee with over 150,000 miles on it and an almost non-existent repair record. That daughter now has four vehicles: a Jeep Wrangler (1987), 2001 Santa Fee, 1998 Toyota Corolla and the 2015 Town and Country
I kid I kid. It's not a bad car (touchwood). I had to do a bit of work when I bought it like change the timing belt but I have no complaints of it. Mine has near 190K miles on it.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 9:14 pm
Concierge

I kid I kid. It's not a bad car (touchwood). I had to do a bit of work when I bought it like change the timing belt but I have no complaints of it. Mine has near 190K miles on it.
I forgot I have a 2015 Elantra (bought in 2014 when the 2015's showcased) with all the bells and whistles and only 31,000 miles on it and it has traveled to Canada and back and forth to Mississippi from NY twice. I'm partial to low cost vehicles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.