British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Virginia in February 2013 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-virginia-february-2013-a-772874/)

SpiderMum Sep 26th 2012 5:02 pm

Moving to Virginia in February 2013

Hello All,

Am new to this forum and would like some info on the best / ideal place to live in Virginia.

I just got my DV Immigrant Visa issued in London a few weeks ago and will be moving with my OH and son.

We are weighing up the pros and cons on which town to live in Virginia. Our main criteria would be a town that offers potential job opportunities, has culture, diverse, good schools and decent housing.

Thanks

yellowroom Sep 26th 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Moving to Virginia in February 2013

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10301383)
We are weighing up the pros and cons on which town to live in Virginia. Our main criteria would be a town that offers potential job opportunities, has culture, diverse, good schools and decent housing

Need a bit more info - what kind of jobs would you be looking for?

All the major cities in Virginia have their nice bits where you would get good schools and housing, as well as the not-so-good bits. Just like anywhere really.

Virginia is very diverse - do you want to be by the beach, in the mountains, at the edge of a major metropolis, out in a rural area...?

Culture and diversity are very subjective. Its not like London or Manhattan for example. It's there, you just have to hunt and make the effort and if necessarily travel to the next town or city. When you say culture what are you looking for - theatre, rock'n'pop, sports, social activities....?

SpiderMum Sep 26th 2012 7:47 pm

Hi,

I currently work as a banking analyst but want to be open minded as to the job prospects and career options. Not sure what the market is like in Virginia.

As to the town to live in, ideally an area that offers accessibility to social amenities, museums, theatre, parks for toddlers, is family oriented with good schools,housing and job opportunities.

Does this help?

Peaksy Sep 26th 2012 8:00 pm

I am currently located in Arlington, VA, having moved here in June.

Housing is a little expensive if you plan to buy, but the area is full of IT and Banking opportunities and is close to DC (3 miles) in case you want to visit the capitol and sight see/take in the culture museums etc.

I like it a lot.

washsaint Sep 26th 2012 8:16 pm

Northern Virginia is the best bet for great schools. We live in herndon, Fairfax County and the amenities and opportunities are great. Would not want to live in Loudon COunty as it is real Stepford Wives territory but the Reston/Herndon/Vienna area is great for families (and with great schools).

SpiderMum Sep 26th 2012 8:44 pm

My OH favors living close to the beach or at least a 30 - 45min drive. We live in Farnham (Surrey) a 10 min drive to Guildford, but can easily reach the coast in 1hr (Portsmouth / Southhampton).

What area would you recommend that still offers similar opportunites like Fairfax or Arlington?

yellowroom Sep 26th 2012 8:56 pm

Every town will have at least one nice area where you will find a few sub-divisions (housing estates) with nice family houses in the catchment area of a good school. You will find that to go anywhere or do anything you'll need to drive, even to to to the park or the shops, so the main thing is what you want to do when you get in that car, as one "nice middle-class" sub-division in one town is pretty much like another in another town:

North Virginia (NoVa), like Fairfax and Arlington are effectively suburbs of Washington DC. So a little more crowded and expensive but absolutely great for access to all the museums, theatre and restaurants. Also easy-ish access to Dulles and Reagan airports. Lots of traffic though on beltway. Think Greater London and M25. Major employers - the government.

Norfolk & Virginia Beach - the largest two independent cities in the state, so all the usual facilities of shops, theatres etc. Great if you want to spend your free time at the beach or on the water in the Chesapeake Bay, also good for many of the historical areas like Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown. Major employers will be military, defense and shipping/logistics.

Richmond (where I am) - the capital of the Commonwealth. Family-friendly suburbs with the best schools include Chesterfield, Short Pump, Glen Allen. Good for history, lots of small parks, increasing number of cycle paths, activities on the James River. Geographically central so all other mentioned cities in easy reach - a day at the beach or in the mountains is very do-able 1-1.5 hours with good traffic. Major employers include bank (SunTrust and Capitol One spring to mind, but there are others) and biotech/pharmaceutical companies. I believe there are a couple of major law firms too.

Charlottesville - a smaller city on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Slightly quirkier, seems to have an active Arts culture going on, could be related to having lots of students. Good for easy access to the hills (walking, cycliing) and history (Jefferson and Madison's houses nearby). Not sure on the major employers but I'm sure google can help you.

Hope that helps!

RICH Sep 27th 2012 1:07 am

I know nothing of Virginia. I am idly curious, as a DV "winner", what prompted you to apply in the first place, and why choose Virginia?

New-and-unsure Sep 27th 2012 2:26 am

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10301696)
My OH favors living close to the beach or at least a 30 - 45min drive. We live in Farnham (Surrey) a 10 min drive to Guildford, but can easily reach the coast in 1hr (Portsmouth / Southhampton).

What area would you recommend that still offers similar opportunites like Fairfax or Arlington?

I don't have any useful advice but just wanted to come in and say aaaaah I love Farnham - we're from Guildford (well technically Fleet) but I want to move to Farnham some day. Anyway, sorry that's probably not useful but it's exciting when someone mentions somewhere so close to where you're from!

redarmy990 Sep 27th 2012 4:59 pm

why oh why virginia:rofl::rofl::rofl:

maryland is much nicer:thumbsup:

we live in rockville. were 2 and a half hours from ocean city md and go every other weekend in the summer.

were going for thanksgiving too:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15 minutes on the metro from dc and all the sights.:thumbsup: too.

been here since end of june and i loveeeeeeeeeeee it:thumbsup:

SpiderMum Sep 28th 2012 1:10 pm

Really confused now and not sure where exactly to move to:(. Initially chose Virginia because of low employment levels but on a closer look its low due to a strong military & naval presence.

A major drawback is that we want warmer climes, but are now willing to compromise on weather, however my OH strongly favors living close to water. Incidentally we both grew up by the sea so it would be lovely to have that option.

We had considered San Francisco or San Diego, but housing is expensive. San Francisco for jobs would be a better bet but will we trading one tread mill for another?

This move offers so much we don't have the luxury of visiting before we take the plunge.

A real concern is job prospects so that will be the main criteria driving the location we eventually choose.

Sally Redux Sep 28th 2012 2:39 pm

How familiar are you with the US?

SpiderMum Sep 28th 2012 5:46 pm

Not familiar at all with the USA unfortunately...

yellowroom Sep 28th 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10304782)

In which case you could be in for a large dose of culture shock.

Do you have to get jobs straight away? How old is your son - school age? What would really help you if you could travel and/or temp a bit to get a feel for the country before you decide where to settle. The US is as big and diverse as Europe. You can't possibly make a good decision based on what you read on the internet...

SanDiegogirl Sep 28th 2012 6:42 pm

..... and I'm chipping in with that "old chestnut" - have you considered what health care costs and whether you will be eligible for it?

What are you going to do about health care until you have acquired jobs?

Sally Redux Sep 28th 2012 7:42 pm

Seems a bit of a gamble.

wvmtnr Sep 28th 2012 8:41 pm

If you want to be near the water in VA, take a look at Williamsburg. I would suggest Fredericksburg or Charlottesville myself. Charlottesville is in/on the edge of the mountains. Fredericksburg is almost near the northern VA/Washington area. Northern VA is very urban/suburban and it is sprawling. Norfolk/VA Beach area has crime, it's a tough area. If culture and water are essential you should look at Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia. South Carolina has growing employment.

sunnysideup Sep 28th 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10301696)
We live in Farnham (Surrey) a 10 min drive to Guildford, but can easily reach the coast in 1hr (Portsmouth / Southhampton).

Congrats on the DV win. That's quite unusual as native Brits with no other ancestry don't qualify. I know some Brits with Irish roots that have tried the DV. But you live in Farnham - do you consider you have a good job there? If so, are you absolutely sure that moving to the USA is your best option? It will be an adventure for sure but since you admit to not knowing anything about this place, the adventure will be fraught with pitfalls so be prepared.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 29th 2012 12:35 am

Been there, bought the T-shirt and wrote the book.;)

It will be tough, it will be scary, it will be bewildering.

Will it be worth it? Hopefully...yes! Just be prepared for lots of ups and downs, frustrations and doubts.

We did it over 23 years ago. It wasn't easy at all to start with and many times we almost gave up but now life is not so bad and I guess we are here to stay:)

Good luck to you and your family.

Rose tea Sep 29th 2012 12:56 am

Ha! I'm from Farnham. Small world.

If you're not familiar with the US, I would take this quiz: http://findyourspot.com/ I think you need to sign up with an email address but that's it. It will ask you a lot of questions, from your preferred climate to the size of the town/city you'd like to live in to your preferred weekend actitives, and it's a great place to start. The US is huge, and there are large portions of the country that have a warm to moderate climate: basically from the Carolinas all the way down the east coast, and all the way across the country to southern California.

Personally I'd look at places other than Fairfax and Arlington unless you love suburbia and traffic. Proximity to the ocean might also be a tough call. It would also rule out some very beautiful parts of the country like the Southwest, or inland parts of Virginia and North Carolina. Also, remember that seaside culture doesn't exist in the US in the same way it exists in the UK. The US is a very different country, and you might have to be willing to let go of some UK comforts like days at the seaside.

MarylandNed Sep 29th 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10303249)
why oh why virginia:rofl::rofl::rofl:

maryland is much nicer:thumbsup:

we live in rockville. were 2 and a half hours from ocean city md and go every other weekend in the summer.

were going for thanksgiving too:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15 minutes on the metro from dc and all the sights.:thumbsup: too.

been here since end of june and i loveeeeeeeeeeee it:thumbsup:

Amen brother!

SpiderMum Sep 29th 2012 10:42 am

In answer to the various posts:

OH not keen living in Virginia or Washington, so that effectively rules these places out. OH is leaning towards Chicago (then San Francisco, Seattle or Houston).

It is a gamble especially having a toddler, but after weighing up the pros and cons will I be saying 'what if we had gone further down the road?'.
The global economic situation is not helping when you don't have a job waiting for you.

The old chestnut of health insurance - we intend to buy one before we arrive or at least on arrival so will budget for this in the growing list of expenses until hopefully I get a job that may offer health insurance as part of the package.

Is uprooting my family the right decision? Bearing in mind I'm the principal applicant. Yes and No.
As a mum Farnham offers amenities at my doorstep, GP, leisure center, parks, town centre, cycling etc. No need for a car. Just a 10mins walk to the train station. However commute into London is a grind takes anywhere from 1hr 45min to 2hr door to door.

Will our standard & quality of life improve? Hard to say, aside from the financial cost of moving, settling etc if it didn't work out we could always come back home skint and rebuild our lives (and obviously much wiser)!

yellowroom Sep 29th 2012 2:15 pm

Well, I hope it works out well for you, as you say you've got to give these things a go if you get a chance.

However, it's not like picking a holiday destination, which is what some of your post reads like. Is your OH familiar with the USA? If neither of you are, then one of the main pitfalls when coming here is thinking that you are familiar with the place from what you see on tv and films, and then finding it's not what you think at all and really struggling psychologically.

In some ways its better to prepare yourself by thinking you are coming to an exotic and alien country, and then be pleasantly surprised at the parts that you don't have to struggle with.

In your situation I would be tempted to say advise you to prioritise the job first, wherever it is in the country. That will get you feet on the ground, healthcare (hopefully) and a feel for the place. Then after a year-18 months on your CV you can look around for a better fit job in the location you want to be in.

You may have to take baby steps - ie a job with less responsibility and salary than you're used to and maybe even in a job that is completely unrelated to your career to date, renting not buying property, older car etc., while you get orientated with both the job market and the way of living.

Rose tea Sep 29th 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10305664)
OH not keen living in Virginia or Washington, so that effectively rules these places out. OH is leaning towards Chicago (then San Francisco, Seattle or Houston).

I would highly recommend visiting the US first and check some of these places out. Is it really absolutely not possible to take a one week break at the least and go out there? The idea of moving to Houston blind just fills me with dread: Houston is as far as possible from the lifestyle you have in Farnham, and NOT in a good way. Have you ever been to a place like Houston in the summer?

Also, you've not mentioned any of the more moderately priced cities close to the areas you've mentioned like Portland, Oakland, Omaha, Dallas, Lafayette...the list goes on. These kinds of places provide excellent quality of life for 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of some of the places you've mentioned. Please consider some of these as well.

Bear in mind as well that the is US can be extremely different culturally from the UK, as well as from other parts of the US. The kinds of people and lifestyles you'll encounter in Houston are very different from those in, say, Boston, which is different again from Anchorage or Salt Lake.

MarylandNed Sep 29th 2012 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10305664)

Why Chicago? It's OK but also a bit isolated which means there are not many options for things to do outside of the city. Washington, DC is much more interesting in that it's close to mountains, ocean, and other interesting cities.

Why anyone would want to move to Houston is beyond me.but to each their own.

I like San Francisco but it's expensive to live there. I also like Seattle but it gets a lot of rain.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 30th 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10306283)
Why Chicago? It's OK but also a bit isolated which means there are not many options for things to do outside of the city. Washington, DC is much more interesting in that it's close to mountains, ocean, and other interesting cities.

Why anyone would want to move to Houston is beyond me.but to each their own.

I like San Francisco but it's expensive to live there. I also like Seattle but it gets a lot of rain.

:huh:I just don't understand all the Houston bashing, especially from people that have never lived here or even visited before.

It's a big city, and like all big cities it has problems but it is well spread out and there are lots of safe and very nice places to live. Indeed the weather takes some getting used to but you can say that about alot of the states in the US.

There are some excellent school districts in the Houston area and Texas has some great Universities. The medical center in Houston is one of the best in the country, with MD Anderson Cancer Center well known for its treatment.
skills.

Also the cost of living is cheaper than most states and we have no state income tax. Add to the equation that Houston has a wonderful theater district, Opera Society and the great Cynthia Woods Pavillon where all the top names perform along with all the great sport from the Texans football team, Dynamos soccer and the Houston Astros (although pretty pitiful this year:o), and of course the Museum District with the constant new exhibits in the HFAM. NASA and just down the highway Galveston Island and very importantly an international airport..... what more would anyone need!

Rose tea Sep 30th 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10307230)
:huh:I just don't understand all the Houston bashing, especially from people that have never lived here or even visited before.

I agree that Houston gets a bit of an unfair bashing. The arts and museum culture in Houston is fab, and the people are really friendly. I personally wouldn't live there because my lifestyle isn't very well represented there and I hate humidity, but it's a fun place to visit.

I do think, though, that for someone moving from a small town like Farnham where everything is in walking distance and the climate is very mild, it would be a huge culture shock. The OP doesn't seem to know what she wants (beach access and warm weather, then suddenly a large city in the chilly midwest), and I would argue that Houston is an acquired taste. It's got all the things that Brits who haven't been here much aren't used to: sprawl, heat, car culture, and large suburbs. But it's certainly not unique in that sense.

MarylandNed Sep 30th 2012 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10307230)

It's a big city, and like all big cities it has problems but it is well spread out and there are lots of safe and very nice places to live. Indeed the weather takes some getting used to but you can say that about alot of the states in the US.

There are some excellent school districts in the Houston area and Texas has some great Universities. The medical center in Houston is one of the best in the country, with MD Anderson Cancer Center well known for its treatment.
skills.

Also the cost of living is cheaper than most states and we have no state income tax. Add to the equation that Houston has a wonderful theater district, Opera Society and the great Cynthia Woods Pavillon where all the top names perform along with all the great sport from the Texans football team, Dynamos soccer and the Houston Astros (although pretty pitiful this year:o), and of course the Museum District with the constant new exhibits in the HFAM. NASA and just down the highway Galveston Island and very importantly an international airport..... what more would anyone need!

Sorry but this is a bit like someone who finds themselves living in Bradford, Middlesbrough or Hull trying to sell their city to someone moving from the US to the UK. Glad you like Houston but, given the chance to move anywhere in the US, Houston wouldn't be on the list for most people. Would be interested in knowing why it's on the OP's list. Personally I think Houston is a sh*t hole - pardon my French.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 30th 2012 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10307285)
Sorry but this is a bit like someone who finds themselves living in Bradford, Middlesbrough or Hull trying to sell their city to someone moving from the US to the UK. Glad you like Houston but, given the chance to move anywhere in the US, Houston wouldn't be on the list for most people. Would be interested in knowing why it's on the OP's list. Personally I think Houston is a sh*t hole - pardon my French.

And this conclusion is based from when you lived in Houston/Texas/Gulf Coast?

drew&venna Sep 30th 2012 10:07 pm

San Francisco, it's a very "European" city, very walkable (you don't *need* to own a car), near the water (but v cold) and with a climate close to the UK. It's expensive but worth it. There is even a health program there called Healthy San Francisco, you have to prove residence but that should only take a few months. Rent is raising exponentially due to Dot Com 2.0 but there are some affordable areas left, like the outer sunset or outer richmond.

I'm California born and raised and it is absolutely the best state. I've been to them all.

MarylandNed Sep 30th 2012 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10307300)
And this conclusion is based from when you lived in Houston/Texas/Gulf Coast?

You have to live somewhere to know it's a dive? I've never lived in many places but I've been to plenty of dives and seen enough to know I'd never want to live there.

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 1st 2012 12:07 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10307511)
You have to live somewhere to know it's a dive? I've never lived in many places but I've been to plenty of dives and seen enough to know I'd never want to live there.

I'll have to remember to seek your expert advise in the future. You have an exceptional talent, maybe even a little ESP going there buddy;):nod::zzz:

RICH Oct 1st 2012 6:51 am

I refer to my post #8 in this thread. Why did you apply for the lottery? From what you have posted, it seems like you applied, never expected to win, and now you hit the jackpot, you have no clue what to do? Seems like a waste of a ticket, someone who really wants to come could use.
*ducks for cover*

SpiderMum Oct 1st 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10307877)
I refer to my post #8 in this thread. Why did you apply for the lottery? From what you have posted, it seems like you applied, never expected to win, and now you hit the jackpot, you have no clue what to do? Seems like a waste of a ticket, someone who really wants to come could use.
*ducks for cover*

Nothing wrong in playing the lottery. My heritage is from East Africa and after later moving to the UK, married a lovely English man so hence qualification of the DV Lottery.

So I won which was a surprise as it can take years to win and have 4 months to decide which city to live in. Not sure why you think its a waste of a ticket:confused:

[QUOTE=Rose tea;10306218]I would highly recommend visiting the US first and check some of these places out. Is it really absolutely not possible to take a one week break at the least and go out there?

Unfortuntely not as I have yet to narrow down which city to go. In ideal circumstances it would be great to have the benefit of an east coast / west coast holiday to get a feel. Though not sure how much it would help.

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10305836)
Well, I hope it works out well for you, as you say you've got to give these things a go if you get a chance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

However, it's not like picking a holiday destination, which is what some of your post reads like.

It may seem initially like that but there is a method to this madness. Im sure we will arrive at a destination soon.

Is your OH familiar with the USA? If neither of you are, then one of the main pitfalls when coming here is thinking that you are familiar with the place from what you see on tv and films, and then finding it's not what you think at all and really struggling psychologically.

Never claimed to be familiar with the US. Taking a realistic approach which does have some pitfalls.

In some ways its better to prepare yourself by thinking you are coming to an exotic and alien country, and then be pleasantly surprised at the parts that you don't have to struggle with.

Totally agree.

In your situation I would be tempted to say advise you to prioritise the job first, wherever it is in the country. That will get you feet on the ground, healthcare (hopefully) and a feel for the place. Then after a year-18 months on your CV you can look around for a better fit job in the location you want to be in.

You may have to take baby steps - ie a job with less responsibility and salary than you're used to and maybe even in a job that is completely unrelated to your career to date, renting not buying property, older car etc., while you get orientated with both the job market and the way of living.

The job prospects of an area will be the key driver. Willing to even compromise of sunny climes.:sneaky:

Rose tea Oct 1st 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderMum (Post 10308697)
I would highly recommend visiting the US first and check some of these places out. Is it really absolutely not possible to take a one week break at the least and go out there?

Unfortuntely not as I have yet to narrow down which city to go. In ideal circumstances it would be great to have the benefit of an east coast / west coast holiday to get a feel. Though not sure how much it would help.

Have you gone to findyourspot.com yet? Everyone on here is going to have a preference on where you should move. This isn't going to help you. I love where I live but I don't have any clue if it's what you'd want. You need to do a more objective look at places. Go to citydata.com and look at their stats on income level, crime level, type of employment, etc.

For what it's worth, I moved to New Mexico without ever even seeing it first and it was a perfect fit for me, but that's because I did a ton of research beforehand.