Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Virginia

Moving to Virginia

Old Feb 9th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Adam2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Virginia

Hi am moving to va in a few months, how long can I drive on uk licence? Not sure if 30 days, 6 months or 12 months. Also I have visa and green card to follow how do I get a SSn number ? Is there a government office somewhere ?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Virginia

Welcome.

Google is your friend.

Social Security office locator:https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

You have 60 days to obtain a Virginia license. Details here: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#eligibility.asp
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Adam,

Where in Virginia? I'm in the Hampton Roads area.

You have 60 days to get a Virginia driving licence, go to your local DMV to apply (Google is your friend for this), unless you happen to be the spouse of a US Military member?

Assuming you have your Green Card upon arrival you can go to your local Social Security Administration office to apply for an SSN (Once again Google where your local office is.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks I has been searching google but just a few conflicting things I did email dmv VA but still waiting to hear back, am looking forward to moving to the area and nice to know there are a few British ex pats there, now just need to find a good bar to watch the EPL footy games
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You need a local license within 60 days of establishing residence in VA, in most cases.

If you were a "visitor" the rules are different, and upto 12 months is OK, and I think students are exempt from getting a local license, though getting a local license (if you are permitted to under state rules) if you are from outside the US makes a lot of sense as it functions as a de facto ID card.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, we are not just visiting we will be working and living there once we find a place to live, so I will work with the 60 days that should be plenty of time to get it sorted, hopefully I won't have to do the tests but no big drama if I do I would imagine it's easier than the uk test.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam2016
Many thanks, we are not just visiting we will be working and living there once we find a place to live, so I will work with the 60 days that should be plenty of time to get it sorted, hopefully I won't have to do the tests ......
Oh yeah, you will! You'll have to do the road test, and probably a computer test. Start sweating now!

If you can't make it out of bed and into the kitchen in the morning without bumping into the bedroom door frame, falling down the stairs, and treading on the dog, you will find the road test a scary challenge!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2016 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

While not the biggest state, Virginia is still over 200 miles wide and 400 miles tall, finding a bar to watch EPL or British Expats will depend what area you are in. People here also seem to prefer calling the EPL the BPL, or just Barclays, I often get asked from locals who my favourite Barclays teams is!
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

... we will be working and living there ...
Which area are you moving to?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are coming to the USA on an immigrant visa. There should have been a question on the visa application to check a box to get a SSN and card automatically. If you checked yes, I'd wait a few weeks to see if it arrives in the mail. If it doesn't arrive within a month, then go ahead in person to your local SS office to apply.

Rene
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Which area are you moving to?
We are looking at around the Alexandria area looks nice and from what I have read, crazy house prices but that's expected with that area I guess
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:32 pm

We are looking at around the Alexandria area looks nice and from what I have read, crazy house prices but that's expected with that area I guess
Rush hour around DC is horrible, so a major priority in finding a home should be arranging the shortest and most direct commute. I strongly recommend that you do not plan to commute around the edge of DC as the beltway and other circular routes are choked up with traffic during the rush hour.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2016 at 3:34 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sounds like you are coming to the USA on an immigrant visa. There should have been a question on the visa application to check a box to get a SSN and card automatically. If you checked yes, I'd wait a few weeks to see if it arrives in the mail. If it doesn't arrive within a month, then go ahead in person to your local SS office to apply.

Rene
Yes I have the immigrant visa , which was a bit of a head ache, I can't remember regarding ticking a box for a social number I might check with the us embassy in germany who processed the visa, I just want to get working quickly it will help with two incomes for area.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:35 pm

Yes I have the immigrant visa , which was a bit of a head ache, I can't remember regarding ticking a box for a social number I might check with the us embassy in germany who processed the visa, I just want to get working quickly it will help with two incomes for area. .....
You do NOT need your SSN to start work.

Not only is this a fact, I can confirm it to be true in practice having started work myself, with a major international corporation (not some cash-in-hand job, and not a transfer either), before I received my SSN.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2016 at 3:38 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Rush hour around DC is horrible, so a major priority in finding a home should be arranging the shortest and most direct commute.
Yes my wife will be at ft belvoir so that's why we where thinking of Alexandria as we have heard the traffic around DC is bad I'll probabally be left with a horrible commute to work,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.