Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to utah from uk

moving to utah from uk

Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to utah from uk

Originally Posted by benji2003

thanks michael thats encouraging !! so much harder over here and failed everytime on parallel parking lol!!!! still looking fo areas to live though guys !!! any suggestions . has to be park city !!! x
Take a small car. It is unlikely that the examiner will move the cones to accommodate your smaller car if he requires you to parallel park (in fact it is unlikely that he can move the cones since the parking space has to be a normal size space to accommodate the largest non commercial car/suv/truck). If you can't parallel park correctly, that doesn't mean you will fail the test but only that a certain number of points will be deducted. The only thing that will make you immediately fail the test is if you endanger someones life or cause an accident.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 15th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

my husband wants to stay in park city as he reckons it will be a bit cooler. i just need to be where there are PEOPLE!!!! i like the community spirit, not being miles from anything or anyone . hope someone can help as im starting to get worried .
The West is quite a different experience from the UK...in general it's very spread out. It can take you quite a while to adjust to the scale of it. I live in a decent sized city and am still, in many ways, "miles from anything or anyone". Embrace the space and you will do well Just be prepared to get in the car and drive to a lot of places. Whenever I want to hang out with my friends in town, one of us has to drive at least 10 miles.

As for the driving test...if you run over a whole line of pedestrians crossing the street (which won't happen because no one walks in the West anyway), and you crash into the car in front of you, maybe then you will fail. Otherwise, your chance of failing is pretty much zero. I didn't even need to take a driving test because I was over 18. I had to have four hours of supervised lessons. Four. They let me get away with three. I've had a license now for 4 years and I still can't drive on my own because I'm not good enough.

Last edited by Rose tea; Aug 16th 2011 at 3:49 am.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Salt Lake is a bit of a weird city because it's hemmed in along the mountains along I-15 and Park City is at the top overlooking it. Park City is a nice place though, at least going by appearances. Can get a bit unpleasant during the winter. As someone said it's a ski resort town, do you have to live there or is that just where your husband's job is?

As for the LDS thing, what I hear is that they're very welcoming until they find out you aren't interested. I think that might be a bit of a cliché though as there are lots of people who have moved there lately who are not LDS. However - I have to say they're the politest people I've ever met, I was in some grotty area of West Valley City once and they were all super polite and helpful.

Salt Lake is also pretty isolated, Las Vegas is 400+ miles to the south, the treasure valley area of Idaho is 350+ miles to the northwest. Denver is a long way to the east. If you go north there isn't much, only Pocatello and Idaho Falls. This sounds a bit worse than it is as the traffic is pretty light as soon as you get outside the Salt Lake area, also the speed limit on I-15 southbound is 80 mph.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:22 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Otherwise, your chance of failing is pretty much zero.
I was in Las Vegas, NM once years ago and the guy at the airport lent me some really crappy '76 Chevy Nova as I recall. Anyway he tells me to be careful as the engine brake doesn't work and if you hit the brakes the car will stall. Well that turned out to be a minor issue as the brakes barely worked. So I got to the top of the hill outside Las Vegas where the railroad tracks are and started downhill... no brakes... halfway down turned the engine off and basically rolled into town, ground to a halt outside the hotel luckily.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

benji2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: moving to utah from uk

Originally Posted by Steve_
Salt Lake is a bit of a weird city because it's hemmed in along the mountains along I-15 and Park City is at the top overlooking it. Park City is a nice place though, at least going by appearances. Can get a bit unpleasant during the winter. As someone said it's a ski resort town, do you have to live there or is that just where your husband's job is?

As for the LDS thing, what I hear is that they're very welcoming until they find out you aren't interested. I think that might be a bit of a cliché though as there are lots of people who have moved there lately who are not LDS. However - I have to say they're the politest people I've ever met, I was in some grotty area of West Valley City once and they were all super polite and helpful.

Salt Lake is also pretty isolated, Las Vegas is 400+ miles to the south, the treasure valley area of Idaho is 350+ miles to the northwest. Denver is a long way to the east. If you go north there isn't much, only Pocatello and Idaho Falls. This sounds a bit worse than it is as the traffic is pretty light as soon as you get outside the Salt Lake area, also the speed limit on I-15 southbound is 80 mph.
thanks, my husband wants to live in park city because hes been told its a lot cooler in the summer he wont change his mind anyone know what Newpark is like ?? need to find somewhere soon HELP !!!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Your local Community College should offer "Driver's Ed" courses which will teach you how to pass the test. It's normally about a 20 minute affair with nothing too complicated.

The cars will be Automatics and once you pass your test.......an All Wheel Drive (Subaru or Similar) or a 4 Wheel Drive is strongly recommended.

Good Luck!

Jim.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Your local Community College should offer "Driver's Ed" courses which will teach you how to pass the test. It's normally about a 20 minute affair with nothing too complicated.

The cars will be Automatics and once you pass your test.......an All Wheel Drive (Subaru or Similar) or a 4 Wheel Drive is strongly recommended.

Good Luck!

Jim.
thanks for that jim . do i have to have lived there 6mnths before i can apply though ??
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that jim . do i have to have lived there 6mnths before i can apply though ??
No, you can take the written test and if you pass, get your drivers permit (permit that allows you to drive with a licensed driver) almost immediately. The study guide should be on the DMV web site.

Once you have the drivers permit, you can sign up for drivers ed classes or take your driving test
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
No, you can take the written test and if you pass, get your drivers permit (permit that allows you to drive with a licensed driver) almost immediately. The study guide should be on the DMV web site.

Once you have the drivers permit, you can sign up for drivers ed classes or take your driving test
Depends on the state. If you've got a foreign license or another State, there usually isn't a requirement to wait, but if you don't have any kind of license, there could well be.

In Maine, at the time I was looking (around '02/03), you had to have resided in the state for 90 days before being allowed to take the test, though you could get a permit sooner, and if you were an out of state driver under 23 would only be allowed to get a drivers permit before getting a full license at 6 months.

You could drive on your own though as a out of state previous driver, but the provisional license meant that any driving infraction was an automatic minimum 30 day loss of a license and fine.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the state. If you've got a foreign license or another State, there usually isn't a requirement to wait, but if you don't have any kind of license, there could well be.

In Maine, at the time I was looking (around '02/03), you had to have resided in the state for 90 days before being allowed to take the test, though you could get a permit sooner, and if you were an out of state driver under 23 would only be allowed to get a drivers permit before getting a full license at 6 months.

You could drive on your own though as a out of state previous driver, but the provisional license meant that any driving infraction was an automatic minimum 30 day loss of a license and fine.
i dont have any kind of licence . i did have a provisional but it has now expired. will look on the web site and thanks guys still none the wiser how am gonna get my little girl ( age 3) to kindergarten everyday. i know my boy can get the school bus .
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

still none the wiser how am gonna get my little girl ( age 3) to kindergarten everyday. i know my boy can get the school bus .
The OH, a friend, a taxi, or you don't go would be the unfortunate options...but getting a license is really easy here, it's after that you learn how to drive properly
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

i dont have any kind of licence . i did have a provisional but it has now expired. will look on the web site and thanks guys still none the wiser how am gonna get my little girl ( age 3) to kindergarten everyday. i know my boy can get the school bus .
They don't start Kindergarten till 5 here. She'll be home with you unless you start with a private preschool. How old is your son?

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Aug 17th 2011 at 12:00 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know of any state that requires 3 point turns or parking between cars (may require you to park between cones but even that is unusual) and generally the test can be taken in any city that has a DMV (most take it at a suburbia DMV since traffic is low, streets are wide, nobody double parks, and seldom, if ever, do they require you to drive on the freeway). Usually it is only once around the block with maybe both left and right turns but sometimes only right turns.

The whole driving test is usually not longer than 5 minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes if you are a teenager).
My daughter had to parallel park between 2 cones...mind you you could have parked an 18 wheeler in the space.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
They don't start Kindergarten till 5 here. She'll be home with you unless you start with a private preschool. How old is your son?
my son is 8 . thats a shame for my daughter as shes just started here ! thanks for everyones help and info much appreciated. starting to feel much more positive !!!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 3:01 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, finally an answer for you!

Lower Pinebrook and Mustang Loop would be good for Jeremy Ranch Elementary, Weilenmann School of Discovery, Park City Day School and Ecker Hill Middle School. Both are young family and on a bus route.

Jeremy Ranch would also be an area to look into but is not as convenient for shopping as the other two.

If you'd like my sister-in-law's email, send me a PM.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.