Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to utah from uk

moving to utah from uk

Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

benji2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to utah from uk

hi im looking for some advice please my family and i are moving to park city in the next few weeks and are looking for a single family home within walking distance or on bus route of local schools ( children are 3 and 8) as i dont drive . as far as i can gather lower pinebrook and mustang loop seem to be ok , but would be really helpful if anyone can help to point us in the right direction of the best areas thanks x

Last edited by benji2003; Aug 13th 2011 at 8:48 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to utah from uk

Hi

In case no one answers, check out City data forums. That's a great site for local info.

Good luck.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:37 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

My sister in law lives in PC. I'll ask her. Are you in the winter sports field? Can't think of anything else happening in PC!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be learning to drive pretty quick....because like pretty much nearly all of the US, you will go mental if you can't drive to get around either because it's to hot/cold to be out and about, there aren't any pavements, or there aren't any public transport as a viable option...and it's usually a combination of the above.

Welcome to BE though and good luck with the move
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

hey , thanks anything much appreciated. my husband works for Rio tinto so he will be working at the copper mine . but because i dont drive i dont know how im going to cope getting around , i dont want to be stuck in all the time . is daybreaker in south jordon a nice place ? just worried if its more mormon populated that we wont be very welcome . my husband wants to stay in park city as he reckons it will be a bit cooler. i just need to be where there are PEOPLE!!!! i like the community spirit, not being miles from anything or anyone . hope someone can help as im starting to get worried .

Last edited by benji2003; Aug 14th 2011 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benji2003
hey , thanks anything much appreciated. my husband works for Rio tinto so he will be working at the copper mine . but because i dont drive i dont know how im going to cope getting around , i dont want to be stuck in all the time .
You'll just have to learn to drive...but the standard required to get a license is seriously low, so you shouldn't have a trouble getting a license...though what you'd need to do to be able to take the test without having a UK license to start with, no idea, you'll have to check out the state DMV site.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll just have to learn to drive...but the standard required to get a license is seriously low, so you shouldn't have a trouble getting a license...though what you'd need to do to be able to take the test without having a UK license to start with, no idea, you'll have to check out the state DMV site.
thanks Bob will look into that . ive failed my driving test 5 times here so hopefully i will pass over there .
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

thanks Bob will look into that . ive failed my driving test 5 times here so hopefully i will pass over there .
As long as you read the drivers ed book to under stand the drink/drive penalty points and stuff for under 21's, you'll be fine...and then stop at stop signs and don't speed, as long as you don't kill anyone you can't not pass...or people will point and laugh at you
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
As long as you read the drivers ed book to under stand the drink/drive penalty points and stuff for under 21's, you'll be fine...and then stop at stop signs and don't speed, as long as you don't kill anyone you can't not pass...or people will point and laugh at you
ha ha !!! thanks for that . still none the wiser on which area to live in any ideas ????
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:32 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that Park City itself is a winter resort so house prices in the city are very high in comparison. A lot of places are easy to rent in the summer months but almost impossible in the winter (for reasonable prices). It can also be quiet in the summer months and as Bob says a car (4x4 in PC!) is probably essential.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any state that requires 3 point turns or parking between cars (may require you to park between cones but even that is unusual) and generally the test can be taken in any city that has a DMV (most take it at a suburbia DMV since traffic is low, streets are wide, nobody double parks, and seldom, if ever, do they require you to drive on the freeway). Usually it is only once around the block with maybe both left and right turns but sometimes only right turns.

The whole driving test is usually not longer than 5 minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes if you are a teenager).

Last edited by Michael; Aug 15th 2011 at 12:53 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know of any state that requires 3 point turns or parking between cars (may require you to park between cones but even that is unusual) and generally the test can be taken in any city that has a DMV (most take it at a suburbia DMV since traffic is low, streets are wide, nobody double parks, and seldom, if ever, do they require you to drive on the freeway). Usually it is only once around the block with maybe both left and right turns but sometimes only right turns.

The whole driving test is usually not longer than 5 minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes if you are a teenager).
thanks michael thats encouraging !! so much harder over here and failed everytime on parallel parking lol!!!! still looking fo areas to live though guys !!! any suggestions . has to be park city !!! x
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:00 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

From the Utah website (http://publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/newtoutah.html): -

"The examiner may require you to demonstrate your driving ability. If so, you must provide the vehicle to be used. It must be properly registered and comply with vehicle safety laws, including functioning safety belts. The vehicle may be rejected if its condition could cause harm to the examiner's person or clothes. The applicant and the examiner are the only occupants allowed in the vehicle during the road test. In addition to road rules and regulations, you will be judged on the use of proper driving techniques and other important elements of safe driving, such as your general behavior and attitude. During the road test, you will not be asked to do anything that is against the law.

The following is a partial list of items on which you may be judged during the test:

Driving posture
Proper use of lanes
Left and right turns
Starting and stopping
Parking on hills and between cars
Observance of traffic signs and signals
Backing
U-turns
Steering coordination
Attention at intersections"

Would think that you would have to demonstrate your driving ability due to coming from the UK.

Sister in law is away at the mo but I'll get you some neighborhood answers ASAP.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
My sister in law lives in PC. I'll ask her. Are you in the winter sports field? Can't think of anything else happening in PC!
Sundance Festival every January.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:25 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Originally Posted by Macca67
Sundance Festival every January.
True, but I was thinking more along the lines of employment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.