Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA - Your real estate experiences

Moving to the USA - Your real estate experiences

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA - Your real estate experiences

We rented a house using a local newspaper's website. Buying a house, we used a real estate agent that was recommended by someone at our daughter's preschool.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's work provided a relocation service but we hardly used them. We contacted them once when we arrived just to see what they could offer but really it was just 'hand holding' - they would go with you to the SSN Office, Drivers Licence office etc and give you a tour of the city.

We knew that we wanted to buy a new property so did all the research ourselves - internet, lots of visits to showhouses etc. We did not use a realtor at all and hubby negotiated with the builder aprox $48K of 'discounts' which we think was really good considering what others were paying. Hubby was very confident reading through all the paperwork at closing so we didn't feel disadvantaged in not using a realtor.

If we had bought an established home we would probably have used a real estate attorney.

More help finding a mortgage would have been helpful and knowing the exact closing costs in advance would have been good. I don't like this system where they don't let you know final closing costs until you are pretty much at the closing table - it seems like they wait till they have you over a barrel and then stick on whatever costs they like.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Exactly, buyers pay nothing. The commission is paid by the seller.
While literally true, that doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Sure the seller (usually, but not always) pays that commission, but where precisely do you think that the money comes from? Ultimately it is all comes out of the money that the buyer ends up paying. So the buyer *is* paying for it - just indirectly. If there is no commission to be paid then you should be able to get the seller to knock a few more percent of the price.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanlangstone
Thank you for your responses.

I am aware that many do not see the worth of Real Estate Agents/Realtors in home buying transactions and I do not wish this post to become a debate on Realtor bashing or justification.

The one item, so far that stands out is the proir to moving, UK residents were not aware that the USA worked on a different system than the UK.

Any comments please.

I published an article here on British Expats entitled "Guide to the Home Buying Process in the USA" in May 2008. Maybe another article highlighting the differences between the UK & USA, and the pros & cons of using a Realtor/FSBO might help.

More comments if you have them.
You're correct. My DH was floored when he realized the commission they make, but I really think they earn it. I have had the best realtors. But on the other side of it, I think the buyer and seller are better protected here when using realtors....no one can back out at the last minute without losing money (if they can back out at all), things usually go pretty quickly once an offer has been made, the realtor knows the laws of the state, etc.) I will always use a realtor (or attorney) when purchasing a home.

And I couldn't believe how things were done in the UK...so I guess it's what you are used to. DH had 3 realtors come when he put his house for sale. One of them lowballed and said his house was only worth X amount of money (very low), another one came in and said he could get much more but it may take longer and then the 3rd one was right in the middle and his estimate was right on what DH thought. DH sold it 2 weeks after being on the market (much much quicker than he had anticipated) to the 1st person that toured it.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Dec 7th 2008 at 11:42 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Moving to the USA - Your real estate experiences

We moved from London to Mt Pleasant a few months ago and used a local real estate agent who was a real gem. He went out of his way to ensure our move went smooth and as pain free as possible.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:44 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
While literally true, that doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Sure the seller (usually, but not always) pays that commission, but where precisely do you think that the money comes from? Ultimately it is all comes out of the money that the buyer ends up paying. So the buyer *is* paying for it - just indirectly. If there is no commission to be paid then you should be able to get the seller to knock a few more percent of the price.
Yes, but from my experience some people that do this usually want more in their pocket or may be trying to hide something. It is very unusual where I live to see homes for sale by owner unless they're "as is" or tips.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:43 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but from my experience some people that do this usually want more in their pocket or may be trying to hide something. It is very unusual where I live to see homes for sale by owner unless they're "as is" or tips.
ive seen a few round here where the owner is also an agent themselves.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanlangstone
I published an article here on British Expats entitled "Guide to the Home Buying Process in the USA" in May 2008. Maybe another article highlighting the differences between the UK & USA, and the pros & cons of using a Realtor/FSBO might help.

More comments if you have them.
LOL...You just knew there was going be a plug in your trite
somewhere
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:02 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by MsElui
ive seen a few round here where the owner is also an agent themselves.

Yes, but that is different. They have a real estate license...they are the realtor but also happen to be the owner.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OR, a Realtor just isn't required.
I sold a house on craigslist in under 24 hours and I've never taken a RE course.
Of course, it was both "as is" AND a tip!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:21 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL...You just knew there was going be a plug in your trite
somewhere

maybe I too should mention a big ballon and being something about above a crowd of people... or something like that?!?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

maybe I too should mention a big ballon and being something about above a crowd of people... or something like that?!?
Never seen you plug you job here...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:38 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Never seen you plug you job here...
I could just change my avatar if you'd like!!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:06 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Realtor in the US are pathetic money hungry useless planckton ...
and I'm being kind there ...
Come on Ray, that's not like you, why don't you just tell us what you really think?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:12 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

That's because you're all dubious theiving types that nobody wants to trust up there in Ohio! Whereas down in Florida, where we're all trustworthy, you see looooaadssss of houses for sale by owner, or should that be "Buyowner"? Thanks Buyowner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.