British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving to usa this year-- need advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-usa-year-need-advice-752050/)

modak i Mar 19th 2012 1:21 pm

moving to usa this year-- need advice

hello people
i am moving to usa for good this year and in process of opening a business in the state of washington, i have been going there couple of times every year and found people basically nice.....

does any one in this forum think that its a bad move or that i should think again, (my wife is still very tweeky about leaving uk)!!!!!!!:fingerscrossed:

ian-mstm Mar 19th 2012 1:57 pm

Re: moving to usa this year-- need advice

Originally Posted by modak i (Post 9960938)
does any one in this forum think that its a bad move or that i should think again, (my wife is still very tweeky about leaving uk)!!!!!!!:fingerscrossed:

Respectfully, other people's experiences will likely not be yours... so the only way to know whether or not it's a good or bad move is to give it a go and see what happens. If it works out, great... if not, you can return to the UK. It's an adventure... treat it like an adventure and not as anything else! :)

Ian

Weeze Mar 19th 2012 3:00 pm

Hi and welcome

I agree with Ian, the best way to go about it is as an adventure, plus you haven't really given many details! As the tag along OH, I found a our pre-move visit really helpful. I came for a week, without kids, looked round, saw some ideas of houses, areas and visited supermarkets. It made it feel less like the unknown.

Good luck.

Bob Mar 19th 2012 4:37 pm

Depends on what visa you get and what type of business you're looking to open up.

If it's a E2 visa, it likely won't be a permanent move as there's no direct road to a greencard.

Is it worth doing? Entirely depends on what you're looking out of the venture and of life in general.

rypin Mar 20th 2012 1:36 pm

Hi modak i

You never know until you try as others have posted. I hope it all works out for you if you do go.
All the best!

modak i Mar 21st 2012 4:16 pm

thank you evey one for your support, as i already have a green card and hopefully my wife will receive it soon too, the problem being all this horror stories going around about the whole economic collapse,

i think i will give it a try and hopefully it works out-- first step is always the hardest!!!!!!

regards

fatbrit Mar 21st 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by modak i (Post 9965202)
as i already have a green card

But are you still a permenant resident? If so, then you have no worries except the business. A green card does not a permenant resident make.

penguinsix Mar 22nd 2012 3:18 am

You are aware of the issues surrounding Green Card abandonment? A green card is only "permanent" as long as you remain "resident" in the United States, with a few minor exceptions. If you have been out of the US for some time it's is probably no longer valid. You may want to review these rules before heading off on your trip.