Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA without a job

Wikiposts

Moving to USA without a job

Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA without a job

Originally Posted by britishamerican
....He doesn't have a degree but he does have HND, and maybe that will be taken into consideration?
They won't have a clue what that is and would be meaningless on a CV.

It's something that can be brought up and talked about in a interview if you get that far, but till then, it's only a distraction that'll get the resume put in the bin pile, unless you're looking to go study at a college.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They won't have a clue what that is and would be meaningless on a CV.

It's something that can be brought up and talked about in a interview if you get that far, but till then, it's only a distraction that'll get the resume put in the bin pile, unless you're looking to go study at a college.
I have an HND in Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management. Even I don't know what that means anymore!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:56 am
Just Joined

britishamerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
I have an HND in Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management. Even I don't know what that means anymore!
Hi Rich,
You are in the US? With a diploma? Did you get a job with it, or do you have a degree as well? Thanks for your reply.

Bob,
Good advice, I will look into some distance learning courses...
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:07 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rich,
You are in the US? With a diploma? Did you get a job with it, or do you have a degree as well? Thanks for your reply.

Bob,
Good advice, I will look into some distance learning courses...
Hi - no I don't have a degree and the HND had no bearing on the job I have, which is essentially "unskilled".
Old Jun 14th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, I'm so sorry been away for a week when we both became busy with guests!

Anyhow, looking st our options I think we still want to make the move while we can.I understand all the challenges that we are probably going to have to face, but from my perspective, the one and only barrier we have is to find a job! Thats all we need to worry about when there are people out there who have more issues such as, visa, finances, no family etc who have achieved it all.Yes its not easy, but thats life.
Also, I'm wondering now how to sugercoat the cv of my husband, maybe make all the linkedin contacts we can make in the next 6-8 months and see how it goes.He doesn't have a degree but he does have HND, and maybe that will be taken into consideration?

I would LOVE to live in California, but if not, we like Chicago,Michigan,Carolina states too.I wonder if its possible to get a job in the UK before the actual move? That would be awesome!!

@Kins, I'm not sure how to ask a question to a member in here, but could you share your experience please? I would love to know how you guys are doing now? Did everything turn out to be like you wanted?
He may be able to get some credit for his HND using a qualification equivalency service like WES (maybe some community college credits or something like that).

Usual rules - Americanize (notice the spelling?) the resume's, ensure it is clear he is work authorized - try and bypass HR if at all possible, use the right keywords on applications etc. I would advise your husband arrives first, even if it is a few weeks ahead of you, and to set up meetings etc during those first few weeks and hammer out the applications, using the local address where you will be staying.

I have been here nearly three months and haven't found full-time regular work yet. YMMV - it isn't uncommon to be waiting longer than that to find work. If you haven't got significant savings, don't expect there to be much of a safety net - it isn't the UK and applying for anything benefits wise is extremely limited, time-consuming and a test of mental stamina more than anything else.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have Bachelor's and Masters degree in business
From UK universities that no-one in the US will have heard of, so that's going to be a problem.

We like Chicago, Detroit, california, Carolina states...
There's no comparison between those four places, so it sounds to me as though the first thing to do is actually figure out where you want to go.

Given your husband is in retail, I would say go somewhere that is growing, say Texas or North Dakota. Or failing that, wherever his US family lives.

As someone else mentioned, first thing he's got to do is get a US passport and sort out his situation with the IRS, as US citizens are required to file tax returns even if they reside abroad, have a read of IRS publication 54. Can't file a petition for you until he's done that.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I'm wondering now how to sugercoat the cv of my husband,
Well, first of all, it's called a "résumé".

The places you've listed are all very different and you would have very different challenges with each one. Michigan for example has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US. California has fairly high taxes.

I think you need to do more research.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

"We like Chicago, Detroit, california, Carolina states... And won't be fussed of where we live the first few years."

Really? Why won't you be fussed? You really think that anywhere in the US is preferable to what you have now?

Proceed with caution. Where are the relatives? Could be a starting-point.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:34 am
Just Joined

britishamerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
"We like Chicago, Detroit, california, Carolina states... And won't be fussed of where we live the first few years."

Really? Why won't you be fussed? You really think that anywhere in the US is preferable to what you have now?

Proceed with caution. Where are the relatives? Could be a starting-point.
Hi Sally Redux,

Thank you for the reply.
We are thinking of staying with relatives as a starting point of course.
What I meant by not being fussed is only trying to emphasise that wherever we get the jobs really.I'm not sure if its the done thing for the americans to look for jobs in different states whilst they are residing in another state or if its difficult to do that and instead the best thing to do is reside in the state you wish to live(pay for the rent etc) and look for a job in the same state?

I just want us to get A job to start with, and then after a bit more experience move where we would really like to live.Any state is good for us when we move to the US if that means we have jobs.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally Redux,

Thank you for the reply.
We are thinking of staying with relatives as a starting point of course.
What I meant by not being fussed is only trying to emphasise that wherever we get the jobs really.I'm not sure if its the done thing for the americans to look for jobs in different states whilst they are residing in another state or if its difficult to do that and instead the best thing to do is reside in the state you wish to live(pay for the rent etc) and look for a job in the same state?

I just want us to get A job to start with, and then after a bit more experience move where we would really like to live.Any state is good for us when we move to the US if that means we have jobs.
Plenty of Americans move around. Just be careful, tough job market, tough sector to be looking in, and personally there are vast swathes of America I really wouldn't want to live in.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
......, and personally there are vast swathes of America I really wouldn't want to live in.
Fifty whole states, plus DC, unless I am much mistaken.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Fifty whole states, plus DC, unless I am much mistaken.
Which included vast swathes of America, amusingly enough :/
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Which included vast swathes of America, amusingly enough. ....
"Fifty whole states" > "vast swathes".