Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA without a job

Wikiposts

Moving to USA without a job

Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA without a job

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
The usual caveats apply. If you're moving from say Corby, UK to NY City or most of California, you'll have the complete opposite experience.
That is the same as moving from Corby to London. In Corby you could afford, for example, a 3 bedroom semi-detached house but then move to London and you might only be able to afford a 1 bed flat.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
That is the same as moving from Corby to London. In Corby you could afford, for example, a 3 bedroom semi-detached house but then move to London and you might only be able to afford a 1 bed flat.
Well yes, but the average Brit is usually acutely aware that, in London, "nothing is certain but expense". Whereas they might not realise that San Francisco, LA or Boston can be eye-wateringly expensive, too.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Well yes, but the average Brit is usually acutely aware that, in London, "nothing is certain but expense". Whereas they might not realise that San Francisco, LA or Boston can be eye-wateringly expensive, too.
........and no government benefits to fall back on to help with rent or living expenses in the US either.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Seattle with no jobs and each found work pretty quickly. We got a pretty cheap apartment, shared a car, etc. It certainly can be done. We weren't earning loads of money in our first jobs but it was easily enough - I think about $40k each. That was a while ago and the cost of living will be higher now obviously.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really depends on what's important in life.

Emigration is (usually) about trading a certain amount of security in home country for a life in a new country. If someone really wants to live in the United States, has a visa option, and understands the risks/costs, is it such a good idea in life to stay in home country just because it might offer more short term security?
Excellent post.

The only thing that matters where do you want to live, UK or USA? You can plan until your head spins but you can't anticipate everything and when moving to the US or anywhere else for that matter you're going to start all over again. So you are going to take an immediate financial hit.

If you want "a job" off the plane, North Dakota, Fargo or Bismarck (Brass monkey winters). You can start here and apply for larger urban areas. Minneapolis is nice, so is Chicago. Detroit has moved to the suburbs. Birmingham, Royal Oak, Berkeley are very nice. Troy is the New Detroit. Detroit proper looks like London after the War. After the oil industry the Automotive industry is doing very well so the Detroit area may be more feasible than people think. If you want warmth Texas over Florida or Cali. (lower cost of living more vibrant job market). Overall Midwest is cheaper for living costs than either coast, also health care is higher quality. Good luck.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
We moved to Seattle with no jobs and each found work pretty quickly. We got a pretty cheap apartment, shared a car, etc. It certainly can be done. We weren't earning loads of money in our first jobs but it was easily enough - I think about $40k each. That was a while ago and the cost of living will be higher now obviously.
I dunno but unless one has a skill that pays well or a degree and experience, even 40k isn't really doable in my experience.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I dunno but unless one has a skill that pays well or a degree and experience, even 40k isn't really doable in my experience.
The OP has a masters in business and her husband has been a store manager 8 years - that's way more degrees and experience than we had when we moved...
Old Jun 9th 2014, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A while ago though...

Trying to get a managerial role in retail without a degree will be though, without any US work experience.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
The OP has a masters in business and her husband has been a store manager 8 years - that's way more degrees and experience than we had when we moved...
No degree = not likely to get a store management job at any good retailer these days, likely wont even get an interview. Experience means very little these days to companies, and not having a degree and experience only, it will be hard to find a 40k a year job.

Partner has a better chance though with a degree, but I was referring to the one without a degree.

I might be a cynic but experience alone with no degree seems pretty useless in the US and Canada these days. I can't even keep track of how many rejection letters I've had and jobs I have been turned down for when I had more then enough experience, but only thing missing was the degree, its the exception if someone ends up into a good job now without a degree, not the norm.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 9th 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No degree = not likely to get a store management job at any good retailer these days, likely wont even get an interview. Experience means very little these days to companies, and not having a degree and experience only, it will be hard to find a 40k a year job.

Partner has a better chance though with a degree, but I was referring to the one without a degree.

I might be a cynic but experience alone with no degree seems pretty useless in the US and Canada these days. I can't even keep track of how many rejection letters I've had and jobs I have been turned down for when I had more then enough experience, but only thing missing was the degree, its the exception if someone ends up into a good job now without a degree, not the norm.
In this instance, I know we are speaking about the retail industry, but I just wanted to chip in and say (for any future readers), that the lack of a degree is not a major barrier in every industry. My OH has a 2 yr degree in engineering from a school in South Africa, but has since moved into IT (which he has been in for 12 years now). With his experience gained on the job, and industry certifications he has done, he has been able to move on to better positions and always acquire decent jobs.

But saying that, we are pretty dang sure there have been doors closed in his face over the years due to no 4yr degree (i.e. jobs he was never considered for), and he is looking into completing a degree finally just so can tick off that box for HR.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting - so with a degree for most jobs, would you say the premium salary should be a minimum of 40K or thereabouts for roles that require it? I have a BS and a PgDip (equivalent to a Masters) ...

Hoffage
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
In this instance, I know we are speaking about the retail industry, but I just wanted to chip in and say (for any future readers), that the lack of a degree is not a major barrier in every industry. My OH has a 2 yr degree in engineering from a school in South Africa, but has since moved into IT (which he has been in for 12 years now). With his experience gained on the job, and industry certifications he has done, he has been able to move on to better positions and always acquire decent jobs.
That's the key thing in IT, rather than just experience though.

And sure, not having a degree isn't a barrier to getting a retail job. It is for management positions that pay well though.

Does depend on the industry as you said though. Plenty of vocational jobs won't require a degree, as long as one is certified and having certifications is key.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by hoffage123
This is interesting - so with a degree for most jobs, would you say the premium salary should be a minimum of 40K or thereabouts for roles that require it? I have a BS and a PgDip (equivalent to a Masters) ...

Hoffage
Depends on the industry.

Local town library required a masters minimum and only paid $28k starting
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the industry.

Local town library required a masters minimum and only paid $28k starting
Eek.

I have been working off a minimum expected salary of 34K (based on trying to afford a rental of $850/month and have enough left over for the bills etc.) - I was on just under that in the UK ...

Salary.com and Glassdoor are nice for working out estimated salaries but I have previously applied for jobs in the past where I knew what the rough range was (having worked in the Public sector), so am new to the whole negotiating salary thing ..
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:24 am
Just Joined

britishamerican is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I'm so sorry been away for a week when we both became busy with guests!

Anyhow, looking st our options I think we still want to make the move while we can.I understand all the challenges that we are probably going to have to face, but from my perspective, the one and only barrier we have is to find a job! Thats all we need to worry about when there are people out there who have more issues such as, visa, finances, no family etc who have achieved it all.Yes its not easy, but thats life.
Also, I'm wondering now how to sugercoat the cv of my husband, maybe make all the linkedin contacts we can make in the next 6-8 months and see how it goes.He doesn't have a degree but he does have HND, and maybe that will be taken into consideration?

I would LOVE to live in California, but if not, we like Chicago,Michigan,Carolina states too.I wonder if its possible to get a job in the UK before the actual move? That would be awesome!!

@Kins, I'm not sure how to ask a question to a member in here, but could you share your experience please? I would love to know how you guys are doing now? Did everything turn out to be like you wanted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.