Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to USA via QM2

moving to USA via QM2

Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:18 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving to USA via QM2

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience of moving to USA via QM2. I have searched existing posts for answers, but lots of the posts talk about either thinking about doing it, or going to do it in the future, I couldn't find any obvious posts of actual experience of travelling on QM2.

The reason I am asking is I saw someone mention unlimited luggage but I am confused about what that actually means and the practicalities of taking lots of suitcases on a cruise. Are your suitcases put in a hold or do they have to go in the cabin? And if they have to go in the cabin with me, how big is the smallest cabin. I have visions of booking the cheapest cruise I can and then breaking my ankle (or worst) tripping over a cabin full of cases!!!

Any info is - as always - really appreciated

Cheers

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to USA via QM2

Originally Posted by becks_r
The reason I am asking is I saw someone mention unlimited luggage but I am confused about what that actually means and the practicalities of taking lots of suitcases on a cruise. Are your suitcases put in a hold or do they have to go in the cabin? And if they have to go in the cabin with me, how big is the smallest cabin. I have visions of booking the cheapest cruise I can and then breaking my ankle (or worst) tripping over a cabin full of cases!!!
I don't remember anyone having the experience, so perhaps these questions are best asked of a travel agent with experience with QM2 bookings... or perhaps contact Cunard directly.

Ian
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:28 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751825

I remember someone doing it in this post and talking about luggage.

Good luck with your move!

Edit- oh sorry, just realised that was your other thread so you have probably already seen this.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:33 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't remember anyone having the experience, so perhaps these questions are best asked of a travel agent with experience with QM2 bookings... or perhaps contact Cunard directly.

Ian
Hi Ian

I have emailed Cunard - just waiting on a reply. But I hadn't thought of travel agent - mainly because I haven't dealt with a travel agent for years.

Thanks for the advice

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:49 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Weeze
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751825

I remember someone doing it in this post and talking about luggage.

Good luck with your move!

Edit- oh sorry, just realised that was your other thread so you have probably already seen this.
Hi Weeze

Yes I had seen that reply and thats what sparked my thoughts about luggage on the cruise. I am trying to work out if it what would be easier and in the long run cheaper - a cruise or multiple flights!!!

And I have just realised it won't just be the luggage answer, but also an idea of an average daily cost on board. So Ians reply about asking a travel agent was a good one - thanks Ian

Thanks both of you

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience of moving to USA via QM2. I have searched existing posts for answers, but lots of the posts talk about either thinking about doing it, or going to do it in the future, I couldn't find any obvious posts of actual experience of travelling on QM2.

Any info is - as always - really appreciated

Cheers

Becky
I think you would be best to repost your questions in the Moving Back To The UK Forum. I cannot recall anyone travelling east to west with Cunard but there are several people who have moved back to the UK from the US on the QM2.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:07 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think you would be best to repost your questions in the Moving Back To The UK Forum. I cannot recall anyone travelling east to west with Cunard but there are several people who have moved back to the UK from the US on the QM2.
@Jerseygirl - thanks for that suggestion, I have reposted my question

Thanks again

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

@Jerseygirl - thanks for that suggestion, I have reposted my question

Thanks again

Becky

Good luck

You could also use the search engine to search through the old threads. Most people have travelled from the US to the UK because they have pets that they don't want to transport in the hold of a plane.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the FAQ on the Cunard website does answer the luggage question - it IS unlimited but ALL goes in your room. Hold luggage would cost extra.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Also, the FAQ on the Cunard website does answer the luggage question - it IS unlimited but ALL goes in your room. Hold luggage would cost extra.
You can usually fit at least 4 medium size suitcases under a bed on cruise ships...maybe more.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

and if you stack them on the bed, with the mattress on top, the only limit is the ceiling, and err, how big you are! :-)
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:05 pm
Back in US & happy!

and if you stack them on the bed, with the mattress on top, the only limit is the ceiling, and err, how big you are! :-)
that is a very funny idea - I hope the crossing isn't too rough, else I will be constantly falling on the floor from a great height!!!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Or, purchase two rooms and just use one room for all your luggage. Just sayin'
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from England to the US on the QE2 but that was back in 1976 so things have probably changed. In those days, all luggage was either marked "needed on voyage" or "not needed on voyage" and only the former was in your cabin. A few years later we moved back to the UK on the Soviet liner, Mikhail Lermontov, and they had exactly the same system..
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I investigated this about 4 years ago when we were getting ready to move over.

Yes, luggage limited only by what you can fit in your cabin. Remember though that if you have an internal flight to another part of the country after you arrive by sea then the issues of how much luggage you are transporting is still valid.

As far as immigration is concerned, my research suggested that it's basically the same as flying in, they have the same kind of immigration controls so the entry procedure would be very similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.