Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA - Urgent Help Needed

Moving to the USA - Urgent Help Needed

Old Dec 24th 2013, 7:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA - Urgent Help Needed

Yeah the US (and most other countries) don't have the RTI PAYE crap they have in the UK, they actually trust you to tell them on your tax return what you owe them.

Supposedly, at least that's how it started, but in reality how it works is you fill in a W-4, they do everything possible to over withhold, and that means it is generally to your benefit to file an accurate tax return in order to get a refund. And every little fiddly bit of income and asset you have has to be reported on innumerable forms like 3520, 8621, FBAR, etc. And that's before you even get to State returns (or local, in NYC).

The US tax system is EXTREMELY complicated, it's arguably the most complex body of law on the planet.

Which is why when people post on here I invariably tell them to read IRS publication 519 so you at least have some vague idea of the terminology involved.

And then the second thing I say is to do your first tax return at least on paper so you understand the concepts involved, and if it has to be dual-status I can't think of any software that will do one anyway.

If you're really struggling hire a real accountant (not H&R Block or similar) who can explain it to you. Preferably someone who is themselves an expat.

If you screw it up you can always file a 1040X and adjust your return.

In the long run it will pay for it itself many times over because knowledge is power.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ou5h
Yeh thank you, I think i'll look for a room share, seen a few websites and it seems a lot cheaper until i'm settled in.
Given the price of rent in NYC, there are many opportunities for shared apartments with responsible adults, covering a variety of levels of luxury. I have just (successfully!) lined up an apartment-share in Brooklyn and got all my leads from Craigslist.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Rooms move very quickly. Typically, they are only advertised 1-2 weeks in advance, so don't expect to have something lined up well in advance.
  • The other people apartment-hunting will be able to show up for an in-person meet-up within a day or so. Don't expect anyone to even reply if you will not be physically present in the near future.
  • Brokers seem to have taken over sharehousing. You will find a lot of listings for individual rooms being leased out. This means roommates are selected by the broker and each have individual leases. I haven't heard any first-hand reports of this set-up, but it sounds ghastly to me and I suggest avoiding it like the plague.
  • Focus on the Craigslist ads that have clearly been written by a human. As in, actually include something with some personality and photos with furniture. Unfortunately, this will cut out about 90% of the listings, but in my opinion, those aren't worth dealing with.
  • Spam is not limited to the listings - when you reply, be sure to include a useful description of yourself and living habits/requirements, lest your email be swept up in a mass-delete.
  • Rent of $1300-1500pm will get you a really nice room in Brooklyn; Manhattan prices are much higher and you get much less for your money. Groceries are usually pricier in Manhattan too, so expect the overall living costs to be higher there.
  • Most leases seem to start and end in the summer, so if you pick up a place in January, you are likely to be subletting for a few months until the new lease comes up. I think this would be a very good option for a newcomer. It's a pain to possibly need to move again in the near future, but it will give you time to get a feel for the city, its neighbourhoods and your take-home pay! There will be a lot more rooms on the market in the summer, also, so you will have many more options.

I would say try to get your employer to cover your first week or two in a hotel - this should give you enough time to find a room.

If you have any specific questions, post away! I'll do my best to answer.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 10:17 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already negotiated your benefits package with your employers, ask if they will include a period of temporary housing until you find your own. It will be a lot easier for you to get a good idea of NYC neighbourhoods once you are here.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

LesinCambridgeMA is an unknown quantity at this point

Very important information for move to NY -

<<<snip>>>

lol - Enjoy, spent over a year in NY , now in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Accom wise - find someone to share with on tht budget ! - Craigslist ;-)

All the best

Les

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 27th 2013 at 2:14 pm. Reason: Bit spammy for a new member...link removed
Old Dec 26th 2013, 5:06 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

Try looking for accommodation in places like Hoboken. There is a thriving young community there and it's an easy subway ride into Manhattan.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 5:41 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Before you move to NYC you must sort out health insurance. Any legitimate company will have a group plan that you can join. Get details of that from Human Resources dept. Also if your assignment is less than 5 years you do not have to pay FICA and can continue to pay National Insurance

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html

you should also investigate if you can continue to pay into your UK pension plan rather than the US plan.

Your HR department should be familiar with all these issues if they do a lot of L1 visas.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

hudson view is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ou5h
Yeh thank you, I think i'll look for a room share, seen a few websites and it seems a lot cheaper until i'm settled in.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before relocating? Any useful resources anyone can recommend?

Any help is appreciated!
Congrats on your new job - you may find the following links useful in your NYC apartment-finding:

streeteasy.com
nybits.com
http://ny.curbed.com/ (scroll down / right column for curbed's guide to buying and renting)

Good book for learning about the neighbourhoods in Manhattan: http://www.amazon.com/NYC-Arriving-S...613312-7749438

and when here you can listen to the BBC World News at 9am each morning on NPR (National Public Radio) local station - http://www.wnyc.org/