Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA: two young teachers... possibilities?

Moving to the USA: two young teachers... possibilities?

Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA: two young teachers... possibilities?

Sooo...marry a USC, get a company transfer, or, if you are a patient and timely young couple, have your baby in the most advantageous country.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Sooo...marry a USC, get a company transfer, or, if you are a patient and timely young couple, have your baby in the most advantageous country.
That would be an abbreviation of "Pulaski Simplified".
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
All here have given great advice.

If you want to go into HE, you might consider:

1) If one of you did extremely well in your degree, start looking at and applying to PhD programs in the USA. They generally take 5 years to complete and pay a stipend (albeit very low but liveable if the university is in a small town/rural area - usually around $30-$35K per year). For you both to move together however, you would have to be married!

2) If you did not do that great in your first degree (but still really well), you/your bf could potentially do a PhD in the UK (you would need a Masters first for most programmes whereas in the USA a masters is not usually required) and become an expert in your fields. You could then build up a network with other experts in the USA and potentially start off by doing visiting professorships which could lead to a full-time role (note however that jobs for those in the humanities with PhDs are very scarce, so you might consider another area for a PhD). If you worked you *sses off and had a good publication list before finishing the PhD, you might be able to secure employment with a US university while finishing up your PhD. Again, if you want to go together, you need to be married if you both aren't doing this option.

Good luck.
This suggestion to a teacher, "get a PhD and become a professor," is a bit overboard. Very, very few schoolteachers are cut out to be professors and researchers at the university level. Same for any field really.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
This suggestion to a teacher, "get a PhD and become a professor," is a bit overboard. Very, very few schoolteachers are cut out to be professors and researchers at the university level. Same for any field really.
There are proportionally, many more PhD students in the US, and for that matter, master's students too. It might be extraordinary in the UK, but does not sound anywhere near as far-fetched in the US.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It's also relatively "easy" to get a Doctorate in Education in the U.S.
I know several people who have done this and certainly not the academically rigorous types.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:57 pm

I know several people who have done this and certainly not the academically rigorous types.
But the whole US education system appears designed to reward perseverance over academic excellence!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But the whole US education system appears designed to reward perseverance over academic excellence!
Perseverance is a good thing. I thought it was designed to reward athletic prowess.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

The Ed.D. in the US is mostly geared toward teachers who want to be school principals (or just want a pay raise). It's true that most are not nearly as rigorous as a normal Ph.D. Ed.D. students do not generally get free tuition or a stipend-- it is in fact often a money maker for the universities, since many US school districts subsidize their teachers' further education.

And these Ed.D's are light years apart from the true scholars who get hired as university professors of education.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
Hmmm, I was basing my suggestion on the fact that they are indeed very young and as they are so young, how would one know what they are cut out for or not? In the USA, there are far greater choices for PhDs - albeit this again is highly dependant on field (they could actually teach at a non-research focused university and not have to research at all!).

I wouldn't say that I am brilliant, and I am not young. After a successful career and doing a Bsc & MBA (neither of which are research based), I decided to do a PhD - and it's at at top university in the UK. It's not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I am doing well.

My suggestion isn't any more far-fetched than any others. I was merely trying to think outside of the box and help these people - but never mind, looks like we managed to discourage them from coming back.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are proportionally, many more PhD students in the US, and for that matter, master's students too. It might be extraordinary in the UK, but does not sound anywhere near as far-fetched in the US.
I concur. (if I didn't have a PhD, I'd say "I agree")
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting hearing people's different opinions and experiences of postgrad study in the US.

I have found that:

(a) a masters generally takes 1-2 years and a PhD 3-4 years. (I spent 6 years getting the two, but worked for 15 weeks every summer during the PhD and my masters thesis was a national health assessment study in the Caribbean, so it took a little longer than expected!

(b) going straight into a PhD from undergraduate is less accepted in the US than the UK

(c) An EdD is not seen as inferior to a PhD in my discipline (which isn't an education discipline). One of the best scientists in my field has a DPE (Doctorate in Physical Education)!

I don't doubt other's experiences to the contrary, but thought I'd record my experiences for posteriority.

I think pursuing a graduate education in the States is an under-recognised path to potential subsequent immigration.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Letteh
Hello, my boyfriend and I are currently 20 years old. He is just finishing a University degree which is a BA in Primary School Education, and I will have finished a BA in English Literature and a PGCE that qualifies me to teach adults (19+ years old) in English.

We are considering one day moving to the USA, as we have both been before (I have been for 3 months in total). We're just thinking at the moment.

Can somebody outline the basic 'steps' we would have to take? So far I can see that we would;
0. Save up and gain experience here for some years.
1. We need to apply for a visa to the US (which one?) in order to travel over.
2. Find one employer each willing to employ us. (I am confused as to whether this is step one or step two).
3. Apply for a Green Card.
4. Work, whilst waiting for Green Card.
5. No idea what comes next.
It is possible, because H-1B is quota exempt for "institutions of higher learning" and also for certain other schools where there is a bona fide shortage of qualified teachers, this is the first thing that came up when I did a search: http://www.usavisanow.com/h-1b-visa/...ions/teachers/

So for example, you could teach English to Spanish-speakers, there was someone on here who said they did that in Texas and were quota exempt.

Also you might qualify for J-1.

So basically the school district files an I-129 for you for H-1B, once that's approved you apply for a non-immigrant H-1B visa. And they can also file an I-140 for you to obtain your green card. Bit more to it than that but that's the basic steps involved.