Reload this Page >

Moving to USA, Soon on IR1 a few Questions

Moving to USA, Soon on IR1 a few Questions

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Gary Hipperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA, Soon on IR1 a few Questions

Hello there all

So today I received my IR1 Visa on my hand.

I have a few questions, things like Will i be able to work immediately? if not how do i go about getting a work permit and how long do I have to wait, and also a Social security number?

If anyone else has any other info they think will be useful, No matter how small please share as I am trying to best equip myself for the move!

Thanks and see you real soon America ']

Gary
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA, Soon on IR1 a few Questions

Originally Posted by Gary Hipperson
Hello there all

I have a few questions, things like Will i be able to work immediately? if not how do i go about getting a work permit and how long do I have to wait, and also a Social security number?

If anyone else has any other info they think will be useful, No matter how small please share as I am trying to best equip myself for the move!

Thanks and see you real soon America ']

Gary
Assuming you are admitted as an IR-1 on landing, the visa in your passport will be endorsed as a temporary green card. [BTW, "I-551" is the form number for the actual green card]. This is similar to the procedures for driver's licenses where one gets the temporary paper one and the secure card comes in the mail a few weeks later.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Assuming you are admitted as an IR-1 on landing, the visa in your passport will be endorsed as a temporary green card. [BTW, "I-551" is the form number for the actual green card]. This is similar to the procedures for driver's licenses where one gets the temporary paper one and the secure card comes in the mail a few weeks later.
OKay cool thats some good advice there, I did wonder why it said on the Visa temporary for one year, That explains that. you say in your post "assuming I am admitted" now that worries me slightly, I have all my documents in the sealed packet, why would they not admit me?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

OKay cool thats some good advice there, I did wonder why it said on the Visa temporary for one year, That explains that. you say in your post "assuming I am admitted" now that worries me slightly, I have all my documents in the sealed packet, why would they not admit me?
Nobody is guaranteed admission to the US other than US citizens, but in practice a valid Immigrant Visa holder isn't going to have any problems.

To answer your original question, once you've been processed at the airport you will be a Lawful Permanent Resident of the US and legally able to work from the moment you leave immigration. In practice you might find it difficult to get anyone to hire you without a Social Security Number, even though legally you can work pending it arriving.

Assuming you ticked the request for a SSN on the DS-230 form when you went for your visa interview, you should receive your SSN in the mail in a few weeks. You may be able to expedite the process by visiting your local Social Security office and asking if you've been allocated a number yet and if so what it is, but you need to allow at least ten working days before doing so for your immigration status to show up on the SSA's computers. If you didn't tick the box on the DS-230 form, you'll need to got to the SSA and request an SSN using form SS-5, again after waiting at least ten working days.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki, up top...suggest you have a browse...it's got a lot of tips.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
The wiki, up top...suggest you have a browse...it's got a lot of tips.
Thanks alot for your tips! every little helps
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there all

Wow, not heard of that before.

Usually they glue it into your passport.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Wow, not heard of that before.

Usually they glue it into your passport.
Lol whoops, my bad yes it's in my passport!

So u have just thought of another question,

When I enter the states, I have the packet from the embassy, my xray, and of course my visa, for the customs officers at the airport should I have anything else with me?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Nope, and you probably don't need the X-Ray either. Just make sure that you queue in the 'New Immigrants' line if there is one and leave enough time for the immigration process. I think I was the only one on my flight in that queue and it took about 40 minutes IIRC.

You can start work immediately, the "only" issue with the SSN is that until you have it, your employer can't pay you.

In my case, I had to go to the local Social Security office and apply for an SSN - supposedly it's automatic but that doesn't always work (actually it doesn't seem to work most of the time according to the guy at the SS office). IIRC it takes about 2 weeks until you're in the system and they can cross reference it with USCIS; once you applied for a SSN, you can pick up a letter from the SS office 24h later that has your SSN on it and you can show that to an employer.