British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to USA: Recommendations on Moving Companies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-usa-recommendations-moving-companies-673732/)

Sproik Jun 23rd 2010 6:27 pm

Moving to USA: Recommendations on Moving Companies?

Hi all, good forum you have here! My family and I are relocating to Utah soon and are looking for recommendations for moving companies. My new employers will pay the majority of the costs within a set budget and have recommended Allied Van Lines as they will provide "free" insurance and discounted rates.

The Allied rep (Pickfords in the UK) said we have about 620 cubic feet to move. The estimate should be with us by the end of the week.

About how much *should* this cost (rough estimate) and any companies to avoid - or likewise that you have had positive experiences with?

Thanks in advance

dunroving Jun 23rd 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Moving to USA: Recommendations on Moving Companies?

Originally Posted by Sproik (Post 8652172)
Hi all, good forum you have here! My family and I are relocating to Utah soon and are looking for recommendations for moving companies. My new employers will pay the majority of the costs within a set budget and have recommended Allied Van Lines as they will provide "free" insurance and discounted rates.

The Allied rep (Pickfords in the UK) said we have about 620 cubic feet to move. The estimate should be with us by the end of the week.

About how much *should* this cost (rough estimate) and any companies to avoid - or likewise that you have had positive experiences with?

Thanks in advance

Recommendation: Search for threads on Rinkens and Wheaton. Most people have had good experiences with both.

IPM Jun 23rd 2010 8:04 pm

I did a corporate re-locate last month and the process was overseen by Victory Worldwide with John Mason International as the UK contractor. The service was pretty good, but we only went as far as Washington, DC.

Bob Jun 25th 2010 12:30 am

Allied Van Lines, just search movingscam.com for local contractor, some are fantastic, some are utterly shit.

Cost of insurance really isn't that big, it's the incidentals that they'll get you on, so read the small print, especially if it's delivery and unpacking on the other end that is included, fees for more than a flight of stairs, toll road surcharges, cost of petrol etc.

Also get them to factor in the maximum they'll expect it to cost if customs want to x-ray and inspect the container, that could add several hundred on top of the cost and possibly weeks.

As for recommendations, plenty of threads on the subject to get an idea on who people have used, but it all boils down to who is contracted on the other end.

mayhemuk Jun 25th 2010 12:56 am

We had Allied for our move from UK to Bay Area.
Fine. Would use them again.
200 cu ft was about 1500GBP including insurance.
Be ready for surcharges though. Agree with your company who will pick them up.
Our load was searched and sprayed (forget why) and that added about $800.

When we were not quite ready to receive delivery they kept it in their own storage at no additional cost. Door to door was 12 weeks i think.
They packed and unpacked. Unpack is handy since they take away the trash aswell which is a win!

Good luck.

SamG Jun 25th 2010 1:04 am

John Mason are fantastic, they moved us to Sydney 5 years ago (very knowledgeable about what we could and couldn't take as Australia is very strict on some items) and I sure they as good a service to the US. They were also very competitive, for us they struck a balance between value and competence - you get what you pay for, after all!

Good Luck!

Sproik Jun 25th 2010 8:09 am

Thanks all, been a great help.

mshane Aug 25th 2010 4:39 am

I have been searching online for a good moving company. I have tried calling several of them and quotations are sky high. Maybe you could suggest someone cheap but reliable? I am moving from NYC to Buffalo.

frrussre Aug 25th 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by mshane (Post 8801385)
I have been searching online for a good moving company. I have tried calling several of them and quotations are sky high. Maybe you could suggest someone cheap but reliable? I am moving from NYC to Buffalo.

If you live in Manhattan, there is a big surcharge, because they are not allowed to bring in the very large moving trucks. They take the load to say, Brooklyn, Queens or NJ & reload on to 50 footer. Are you AAA member?

Reg. Frank R.

2006, we moved from Manhattan to Ft. Lauderdale, had great expierience with Benkins. Their agent New Dorp, out of Staten Island.

sir_eccles Aug 25th 2010 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mshane (Post 8801385)

Joyce Van Lines.

I just used them last year for a move from NYC to AZ but they do shorter stuff too, excellent service.

Just a quick question, you say you called them and their quotes are sky high, did they actually come and do a home visit before quoting? I wouldn't trust any moving company that doesn't do a home visit before quoting.

movingscam.com